BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums

BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums (https://www.r1200gs.info/forum/)
-   Tires (Tyres) (https://www.r1200gs.info/forum/17-tires-tyres/)
-   -   Anakee Adventure tires (https://www.r1200gs.info/forum/17-tires-tyres/49179-anakee-adventure-tires.html)

GrayBeard 22-May-2019 04:32 AM (397)

Anakee Adventure tires

Has anyone here tried the new Anakee Adventure tires? I'm going to be tasking my GS for more road trips this year than off-road so I'm going to bin the Wilds I have on it now. I'd love to hear from someone that can compare these new tires from Michelin with the Stinko 705s. Though I've never used them I'm very impressed with the on road performance of the 705s that I witnessed this past weekend on a friend's GSA. And, it' doesn't suck that I can buy a front and rear Stinko for the same price as just the rear Anakee Adventure or TKC70.

Note - the tire I'm asking about IS NOT the Anakee 3 Adenture tire but this tire:

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/t...tire-p?v=12903

On road cornering performance, quiet, tire life, and price are my priorities (in that order) for a road tire. These new 80/20 tires from Michelin look like they may be hitting a sweet spot between the Wilds and the Anakee 3s.

oilcan 22-May-2019 05:09 AM (423)

I put a set of the new Adventures on my 2017 GSA in February and Love them. I have about 3000 miles on them so far and look like they will be a long life tire as well. Shortly after I put them on I ran them on the Dragon Tail and they stuck like glue. They are also quite riding compared to the " A-3's". They work great in the rain as well. I have ridden them on hard pack forest service roads and they do a good job. I don't think they would be good in mud or sand but that is not what they are for anyway.
If you are doing mainly asphalt with some hard pack dirt you can't go wrong in buying these tires.

Rick92040 22-May-2019 08:19 AM (555)

BobZ is riding to Alaska on a set right now. I'm looking forward to his report when he gets back.

Ryno23 22-May-2019 08:27 AM (561)

I would look at the Mitas E-O7+. Even if you wont be doing any off roading. They are a 50/50 tire but are great on the road and if by chance you do want to take the dirt or gravel road you are set and they cost less then Michelins.

LAS 23-May-2019 03:55 AM (371)

If you are riding on paved or hard pack roads, get a tire made for that and give up the low % off road tires. Dunlop Roadsmart IIIs or Metzler Roadtech 01s are great sport touring tires that will do as well on hardpack and fire trails as any 90/10 or 80/20 tires out there and will outperform them traction and mileage wise on pavement; not to mention, they will be much quieter all around and more stable at high speeds.

Rick92040 23-May-2019 08:18 AM (554)

Quote:

Originally Posted by LAS (Post 289917)
If you are riding on paved or hard pack roads, get a tire made for that and give up the low % off road tires. Dunlop Roadsmart IIIs or Metzler Roadtech 01s are great sport touring tires that will do as well on hardpack and fire trails as any 90/10 or 80/20 tires out here off road and will outperform on pavement; not to mention, they will be much quieter and more stable at high speeds.

I agree with LAS. I don't know about the Metzler but I've been running the Dunlop Roadsmarts on my GS and they work very well. They also have a $40 rebate till the end of the month.

GrayBeard 24-May-2019 01:04 PM (753)

Guys, I appreciate all the advice about what I should do but my question was about that specific tire from Michelin. My GS has spent the majority of it's life off the pavement on TKC80 or Wilds and I'm very familiar with the wear characteristic, on-road, and off-road performance of those tires. I have been using my GS as a true dual sport bike riding single tracks, climbing through steep streams and ditches, and hilly rock gardens. I now have another dual sport bike that I'll use for those rides and so my GS is going to be mainly a road bike but I'm sure I'll want to continue to ride forest roads like out in the George Washington and Jefferson forests in Virginia or the Allegheny forests in PA. I think my use for the GS is now a true 80/20 type profile so I know that I don't want a pure touring tire like the RoadSmarts or Road 5, etc and think for my use now I don't need the vibration and noise of the 50/50 tires.

I rode all last weekend with a guy on a GSA with Shinko 705s and he had that bike on rails in the twisties. I was truly impressed with the grip and the quietness of those tires. A pair of the Shinkos can be purchased for just what the rear Michelin costs so if I was trying to be cost conscious I'd just buy the 705s. I'm asking specifically about the new Michelins because they are a multi-compound tire that should be a great performer on the street and hold up to some light off-road use. But if someone with experience on them tells me they stink in the rain (for example) or they roar like a 50:50 tire then I'll just keep looking or buy the Stinkos.

Rick92040 24-May-2019 01:14 PM (760)

The Michelin's are too new. If you can wait a month BobZ will be back and I'm sure he'll have a report. Or you can try them and give us a report. :) I've also heard good things about the Dunlop Trailsmart.

GrayBeard 24-May-2019 03:53 PM (870)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick92040 (Post 289977)
The Michelin's are too new. If you can wait a month BobZ will be back and I'm sure he'll have a report. Or you can try them and give us a report. :) I've also heard good things about the Dunlop Trailsmart.

Thanks for letting me know that he's out there on them. I've still got some life in the Wilds that are on it now and hey, I wear ear plugs anyway.

oilcan 24-May-2019 05:49 PM (951)

As I posted earlier these tires stick like glue on the Dragon Tail and in the rain. If you are looking for a Great on highway tire that is also good on a fire road , and are not loud ,these are just what you are looking for. My favorite 50/50 tire is the Mitas E-07+ but this is now my favorite 80/20 tire.