First ~250km with Anlas Capra X - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 17-Jul-2019, 11:38 AM (693) Thread Starter

Garage
First ~250km with Anlas Capra X

I don't really have enough experience with different tires to make much of an assessment, but here's my initial thoughts of the Anlas Capra X tires I had installed today, replacing my Metzeler Roadtec 01s. Yes, these are two very different tires! The tech at Ottawa Goodtime called me back to the service desk to confirm I really did want to make this change. Haha.

I went down a few mostly straight dirt / gravel country roads. Did a few basic rear wheel brake slides. I don't have the off road experience or confidence yet to really say much here. I was certainly more comfortable on these vs. the Roadtecs (I had previously been down the same roads with them), but that is stating the obvious I suppose.

Highways and controlled access freeways: I was surprised by how smooth these tires are at speed on pavement. I would have no trouble doing long distance freeway stuff on these. Again, there's an obvious difference going from the Roadtecs to these, but there's nothing bad to say. Maybe a wee bit of noise but not so much that you don't forget about it after a a few minutes / it is drowned out by all the other noises. Some rumble at very slow speeds.

Leaned over: I am not a very aggressive rider. I don't drag knees or bike parts. Being leaned over on these tires was definitely an experience. The motion involved in leaning in and then straightening back up is wildly different compared to the Roadtecs. I have to admit I was a little weirded out by it, but I am guessing that is life with a block / knobby-ish tire with a flatter cross sectional profile vs. road tires.

Besides the foreign feeling while leaning over and straightening back up, it felt like I was doing a lot more work to get leaned over, to stayed leaned over / keep the line, and to straighten back up. In particular my offside hand (left hand when leaning right) seemed to be doing a lot more work.

Also they look pretty good on the bike which is what really counts. Caramel Machiattos anyone?

Looking forward to getting more gravel & dirt experience.
Attached Images

Candubrain likes this.

Had to be me. Someone else might have gotten it wrong.

Last edited by fdbm17; 17-Jul-2019 at 11:44 AM (697).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 17-Jul-2019, 03:35 PM (858)

They do look impressive.

It's funny how every tire has different characteristics when it comes to handling. A few hundred K's and I bet you'll adjust to the difference.

Keep us posted
fdbm17 likes this.

Riding "Sir Falls Downalot"

A wish is a desire without an attempt.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 18-Jul-2019, 06:42 PM (987) Thread Starter

Garage
Low Speed Exercises

Addendum 1 - Low Speed Exercises

Local College has one of their parking lots painted up for low speed motorcycle work and I go up there to practice now and then. Happy to say the Capra Xs don't appear to be much different vs. my Metzeler Roadtec 01s when doing low speed work. Probably a little more work flipping from left lean to right lean and vice versa, and maybe a hair more work holding a line doing tight u-turns / circles / figure 8s. But otherwise, two thumbs up.

Urban speed brake tests: these things stop good.

I'm doing an 850km Cannonball** on Sunday, combining controlled access freeways and what appears to be some decent twisty stuff. I really need to find more dirt roads though.

Aside: Is the ABS light not supposed to flash when ABS kicks in? Was practicing hard braking, could feel ABS doing its thing, but no warning light. Same thing when I was doing the RTI Technical Skills course in Scarborough a couple months back. The traction control light flashes as expected, and both of them work as expected during start up / self-test. But I never see the ABS light flash no matter how hard I hammer the brakes.

**Cannonball: Any single-day big mileage ride, which is obviously relative. For me, 850kms is a pretty serious cannonball. See also: The Cannonball Run starring the Lamborghini Countach, and a bunch of actor people.

Last edited by fdbm17; 18-Aug-2019 at 08:36 AM (566).

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 19-Jul-2019, 08:58 AM (582)

My ABS flashes, but I can't remember if it flashes when I'm in Enduro Pro mode.

Those Canonballs are great, only done the one so far this year

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 22-Jul-2019, 04:56 AM (414) Thread Starter

Garage
Cannonball

Addendum 2 - Cannonball

2016 R1200GS w/Anlas Capra X tires + rider, tankbag, full set of BMW Vario luggage, lightly packed

The Cannonball was a bit shorter than expected, ~770kms (479 miles), but still a good challenge. That might be my longest single day since I started riding in 2011. I was in bed early!

I have exactly 1170 (!!) kms (727 miles) on the Capra Xs now, almost entirely pavement. They performed really well on the Cannonball route which was all controlled access freeway, secondary highways, and some urban stuff. Some of the pavement on the route was really nasty... rutted and pitted, crap patch jobs. The bike & tires soaked it all up nicely. Smooth and comfortable at all speeds, from puttering up to a red light to ~130kph (~81mph) on the freeway. At puttering speed you get a nice little rumble from them which makes me feel cool.

I seem to be getting used to the different experience / motion involved in leaning these tires over. I'm now very comfortable on the larger sweepers at speed, and getting used to the tighter sweepers. Overall I would say it seems I need to be more actively involved on the bars vs. how the Roadtec 01s turned in. It is not bad once you get used to it, but something to keep in mind. This may be a common thing for 50/50-ish tires, dunno.

Really happy so far, especially for $100CAD per tire (on sale). Really need to find some more gravel & dirt. I have a ~2,200km (~1,400 mile) trip coming up soon, but that too will be all, or nearly all, pavement... my buddy's Road Glide Ultra doesn't lend itself too well to off-pavement experiences! (We recently took a wrong turn and found ourselves in a few inches of sand ... the GS had a slightly easier time of it, but with the Roadtecs on at the time, it was not fun!)

Last edited by fdbm17; 18-Aug-2019 at 08:36 AM (567).
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 28-Jul-2019, 05:37 PM (943) Thread Starter

Garage
An Unscheduled Dismount

Addendum 3 - An Unscheduled Dismount

So, I had my first ever motorcycle accident today. Just me, lowsided going through an intersection.

I don't have a lot to say about it, as I am still processing it. I was going through an intersection, turning left. The back end went out on me and down I went. Other than an injured pride I seem to be A-ok. No bumps, bruises, scrapes or scratches. On me that is! If you looked at my gear you'd never know I went down. No damage whatsoever to the nylon of my Klim jacket or pants. A little scuffing of the leather on my left boot, but hardly noticeable.

The accident took place here: https://goo.gl/maps/oos9m1cxd9bEfMrV7. I was pulling out of the Tim Horton's heading South on the side road. I had a green light and proceeded through the intersection turning East on Bell Blvd. I don't recall exactly when I lost traction but I'm pretty sure it was quite late in the turn. GPS data had me at 24kph (15mph) going into the intersection, then 34kph (21mph) at around the time I went down. One of the people who stopped to help me out, also a rider, mentioned the pavement was uneven in that corner ... those undulations you get where the pavement compresses.

I suspect the outer edge blocks / knobs were possibly still a bit greasy / not scrubbed in. Perhaps the pavement was wavy as mentioned above and I crossed an undulation while leaned over and caught the greasy / not scrubbed in knobs. At the same time, I am not an aggressive rider and it doesn't take much lean to give me the old 'no' feeling. I definitely did not feel at all uncomfortable with the speed and angle I was at going through the intersection. I didn't think to take a close look at the intersection before I left.

The left side cylinder head is scraped up pretty bad, but not cracked or otherwise damaged. Some other cosmetic damages here and there. My left side Vario pannier took much of the hit and it is destroyed. Mechanically everything seems to be in order. I rode the bike home, which was about 80kms away at the time. No weirdness in the steering or other odd behaviours or sounds

The important thing to note here is, this is the second time I've fracked up my bike right before a scheduled moto tour. I am supposed to be heading out for a loop around Lake Huron starting Wednesday. So hopefully my nearest Motorrad shops have another pannier in stock!

Anyway... I should really gets some crash bars installed.
Attached Images

Ripcord likes this.

Last edited by fdbm17; 18-Aug-2019 at 08:37 AM (567).
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 29-Jul-2019, 05:31 AM (438) Thread Starter

Garage
After a good close look, I'm fairly certain the unscrubbed / greasy edge of the tire was the main issue. Add in the relative lack of traction on the blocks / knobs, and possibly uneven / dirty / slippery asphalt, and all that is left is the crying.

Hard to see well but a few pics of the tire edges at the link below. I took pictures of what I am pretty sure were the blocks in contact with the ground during the slide, and the blocks on either side of them. You can see pretty clear lines across the unscrubbed knobs vs. the now fully scrubbed (!!) blocks.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/eld3745vy...6Rvg0XjMa?dl=0

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 29-Jul-2019, 11:15 AM (677)

that Sucks!

Glad your okay and only minor damage

Hope your trip goes without a hitch
fdbm17 likes this.

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 30-Jul-2019, 05:07 PM (922)

Glad it was only your motorcycle that was scraped up.
fdbm17 likes this.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-Aug-2019, 08:26 PM (060) Thread Starter

Garage
Lake Huron

Addendum 4 - Lake Huron

I'm back from my Lake Huron tour. I now have 4,453kms (2,767 miles) on the Capra Xs. The tires performed very well on the trip, which was almost entirely rural highways (some of rather dubious quality!), with short jaunts on the I-75 and highway 404 in Ontario. We also ran part of the outstanding highway 118 in Ontario. Highly recommended! Aside: I must admit I'm a little more trepidatious in the corners since my little slip n' slide incident mentioned above.

Mr. Obvious says: The tires certainly seem to be wearing faster than my usual road tires. I doubt I'll be getting anywhere near 20,000kms out of a rear. I'll update this post with pics and tread depth measurements tomorrow. As the tires have worn I think I have noticed an increase in noise and "rumble". I'm guessing this is expected... as they wear, more of the blocks / block pattern comes in contact with the road? Might be talking out my ass here... at any rate, it is certainly not a problem. I kinda like the rumble. I occasionally notice a slight"howl" coming up through the front end, possibly similar to the issue others are reporting with their 1250s. It's mild, and certainly a product of the tires. I've never noticed it with street tires.

It was a bit silly to put the Capras on right now ... I knew I had a ton of pavement riding coming up, with more to follow (club ride this weekend and then a run up to a Motorrad shop for my 40,000km service). Really need to get out on some unpaved roads but this week is mostly a bust. I might be able to get out on some dirt roads tomorrow.

Last edited by fdbm17; 18-Aug-2019 at 08:38 AM (568).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode