4Likes
  • 2 Post By saughblade
  • 1 Post By Slijkmoto
  • 1 Post By saughblade

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-Aug-2019, 12:11 PM (716) Thread Starter

Garage
Ride-On motorcycle tire sealant

Has anyone tried Ride-On motorcycle tire sealant for catastrophic flat prevention? Does it mess with the tire pressure monitoring system on a 2011 R1200GS?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-Aug-2019, 06:35 AM (482)

I bought two botles to install in my Harley, which does not have TPMS. The instructions indicate that Ride-On is not compatible with 2009 and later Goldwing TPMS systems and to look on their web site for more information about other TPMS sensors that may not be compatible.
www.ride-on.com/tpms.html
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 20-Aug-2019, 07:55 PM (038)

I've used "Tire Sensor Safe" Slime in both my cars and bikes with great results and no problems.
Attached Images

Last edited by enzo5000; 21-Aug-2019 at 04:35 PM (899).

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 21-Aug-2019, 07:08 AM (506)
Senile Member on 2006 GS

Garage
The "Slime" product is for an entirely different purpose, doing temporary roadside repair after having a puncture. "Ride On" is intended to be installed with the new tire, and functions both as a puncture sealant and dynamic balancing agent.

I used Ride On in my '06 GS and '04 Harley, neither of which has TPMS sensors. I did have one puncture since I started using it, in the back tire of the Harley. Picked up a roofing nail that went into the central region of the tread at a shallow angle. Pulled it out and rode the bike for a few miles (as the Ride On website says), and it sealed the hole, but not completely, still found myself losing about 4 psi per day. Given the angle that the nail entered the tire, I'm not sure I could have successfully plugged it--didn't try because the tire had maybe 2000 miles of use left and I was about to leave on a 4000-mile trip, so I just replaced it a couple weeks ahead of schedule. Even though Ride On didn't completely seal the puncture, I put it into the new tire. There is a lot to be said for turning a major hole into a slow leak.
Southpaw and Revilok like this.

Whizzy brakes, no FD drain plug, what's not to like?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 21-Aug-2019, 01:49 PM (784)
'05 R 1200 Gs

Quote:
"Ride On" is intended to be installed with the new tire, and functions both as a puncture sealant and dynamic balancing agent.
Could the dynamic balancing agent aspect be a substitute in lieu of balancing a new tire install? The reviews I have just read indicate this is a "magical" product.

Quote:
Ride-On Installation & Usage InstructionsCongratulations on your purchase of the Ride-On Tire Protection System (TPS)! Ride-On is an advanced gel-like formula specially designed to balance tires, seal punctures, prevent leaks, and extend tire life. Ride-Onseals most slow leaks and punctures (85-95% effective in tubeless tires, 55-65% effective in tube tires) in the tread area of a tire caused by nails, screws, thorns, road debris - virtually any perforating object up to ” (1/8" for tube tires) in diameter; i.e., nails, screws, thorns, road debris, etc. Ride-On also helpstires maintain proper inflation and run cooler, which can increase tire life by up to 25% or more (of course, this is critically dependent on how and where you drive your vehicle). Vehicles equipped with Ride-On handle better, get more MPG’s, see increased tire life, and most importantly, are safer to operate. Each of our Ride-Onformulationsare specifically designed for intended application. You should NOT USE the various formulas (Motorcycle, Motoscooter, ATV/UTV, Automobile, or Bike-On) interchangeably as the expected tire life, tire composition, tire structure, wheel material, operating speeds, operating temperatures, operating pressures, and g-forces vary in each application type. These are just some of the criteria that we use to formulate our tire balancers and sealants. In addition to the products listed above, Ride-On is also available in several other formulas, which have been specifically designed and engineered for use in commercial trucks, construction vehicles, industrial equipment, mining, agricultural, and other commercial vehicles/equipment. Visit www.ride-on.com or call us at 703-421-9778 (toll-free USA 1-888-374-3366) to order Ride-On for all your vehicles.Ride-Onis TPMS friendly; however some TPMS sensors are not hermetically sealed and therefore should not be used in conjunction with Ride-On. Please visit or website for more information:https://www.ride-on.com/us/support/tpms.

'05 1200 GS

Last edited by Southpaw; 21-Aug-2019 at 01:54 PM (787).
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 21-Aug-2019, 05:09 PM (923)

Ride-On

Been running it on my 2017 GS for over a year. No leaks yet. Rear tire was not balanced when I put a new tire on- just Ride On. Seems to be fine. I agree it won't stop big leaks, but it is cheap insurance if you are out in the boonies with cactus thorns and small items to ruin your day.
One caveat- you may need more than 2 bottles for the GS. Check their dosage recommendations on their web site.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 22-Aug-2019, 02:32 AM (314)

I guess there will be some severe cursing from the guy who will have to clean up the mess when changing the tire.
Rick92040 likes this.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 22-Aug-2019, 07:38 AM (526)
Senile Member on 2006 GS

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slijkmoto View Post
I guess there will be some severe cursing from the guy who will have to clean up the mess when changing the tire.
Actually, no. Ride On is water soluble and simply washes out with a hose. Heck, it was first suggested to me by the shop that changes my tires. Slime (at least the "classic" version) is a much different story and widely despised by people who have to clean up the mess.

Re dynamic balancing: I initially thought it was hogwash. Being a part-time physics teacher, I had to figure out how the stuff could actually work. The key is that the wheel rotates around its center of mass, not necessarily its axle (the flexibility of the tire, plus the suspension, allow this to happen, as the center of mass and axle are pretty close together). This means the lightest portions of the tire will be furthest from the center of rotation, which in turn means that inertia (better known as "centrifugal force," though as a physics teacher I must point out there is no such thing) will cause the liquid to flow to that spot. Equilibrium is reached when the center of mass and axle are at the same place, which takes only a few tens of feet of riding.

Ride On is not the only such dynamic balancing product out there. Dyna Beads are dry beads, also injected into the tire, which work in much the same way but (obviously) don't offer a sealing function. Semis are sometimes seen with dynamic wheel balancers in the form of circular tubes filled with fluid and ball bearings, mounted to the wheels. Same principle applies. I believe I even saw such a balancer made for bikes, to mount behind a brake rotor. A bit unsightly, though.
Southpaw likes this.

Whizzy brakes, no FD drain plug, what's not to like?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 22-Aug-2019, 10:18 AM (637)

Perhaps typically "American" but the anti-puncture promisses made by the manufacturer are quite "carefully" formulated... without any doubt meant to avoid any claims from customers who got stuck in the boonies with a flat...
So apart from the balancing of the wheels in a different way than usual, what are the REAL avantages of the stuff ?
In general the rear wheel doesn't need any balancing of a new tire that badly (contrary to the front wheel)..
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Today, 06:13 AM (467)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slijkmoto View Post
Perhaps typically "American" but the anti-puncture promisses made by the manufacturer are quite "carefully" formulated... without any doubt meant to avoid any claims from customers who got stuck in the boonies with a flat...
So apart from the balancing of the wheels in a different way than usual, what are the REAL avantages of the stuff ?
In general the rear wheel doesn't need any balancing of a new tire that badly (contrary to the front wheel)..
No product is perfect for every possible condition. That being said I used Ride On for years in my 2012 Victory Cross Country Tour and It did save me from a flat once. It was a small nail, but i did not lose 1 psi over where i had the tire set. This was checked the next morning. I could see where the product had come through the tire and sealed it.

The good news other than no flat is my tire life was about expired anyways so I replaced the tire after that.

The real advantage is not having a flat if you run over something. Like I said, it won't work 100 percent of the time, nothing does.

My YouTube Page:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Currently riding a 2019 BMW R1250GSA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
tire pressures, tires

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in