Tire change - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 17-Sep-2019, 04:17 PM (886) Thread Starter

Garage
Tire change

Iíve been switching between the stock Michelle Anakee tires and mitas E 07ís. Each time it costs $60 for both tires on my 2018 GSA rims. (Inexpensive option at the Honda dealer)

Any suggestions on best or easiest way to replace, mount and balance tires? I have watched a video using bbís to balance the tire. Purchasing an extra set of wheels is not a current option.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 17-Sep-2019, 06:48 PM (992)

I've used everything from 2-3 tire irons on the floor (protected by a piece of carpet) to the Harbor Freight model with mods to the No-Mar Classic HD. All get the job done, some easier than others. I'll stick with my No-Mar. I, also, do my friend's tires for a small fee (usually lunch) so I wanted something a little more substantial. The Harbor Freight works and a lot of people use them. See if you can find someone who has their own tire changer, and maybe they'll let you use it, or work something out for changes.

https://www.nomartirechanger.com/Articles.asp?ID=259
Xlntcfp likes this.

Cliff
Lincoln County, NC, USA
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 17-Sep-2019, 07:17 PM (011)

Thatís a bargain, you drive a BMW. Try the dealer they want $60 a pop. I much rather enjoy my free time!

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 17-Sep-2019, 08:42 PM (071)
Survivor

Garage
Get a tire changer and balancer. No Mar makes a good changer but will cost $500-600 (mine is 8 years old, so Iím not sure). If you have a couple of good friends you can share the cost. They make a mount that fits the receiver on a pick-up.

Alternatively, Harbor Freight makes a changer that is around $100. It is a bit crude but works. There are many videos on improvements you can make to the changer and better tools to use with it. HF also makes a balancer and sells weights. I have a Marc Parnes that has served me well.

There are those that buy or make a bead breaker and then use just tire irons to remove/mount tires. Having some sort of way to hold the wheel still at waist high helps greatly. With time you can develop some technique.

I think you will find many videos on YouTube on different ways to change tires. Just remember that it is a great deal like sex. Heat and lubrication go a long way towards making it a good experience.
Xlntcfp likes this.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 18-Sep-2019, 04:31 AM (396)

I'd suggest not splitting the cost of a tool with friends as this will end in disaster. Who houses it what happens if the person housing it is not around when another what to use it. Someone else want to let another friend us it.....

I have a NoMar and yes it the cost about $500 but it was money I recouped after changing around 6 tires. Since I can buy tires online I save 25 to 40% over bricks and mortar shop prices. Plus I have a better selection and they are also delivered to my doorstep for me to change when it convenient to my schedule. So now I don't have to take off 1/2 day of work to drop the bike off at the shop and wait for them to change the tires or drop the and have to find a ride home and then back to the shop the next day to pick up the bike.

In stead of friends going in on the changer simply have them pull there wheels bring them to you and you change the tires for $20 per wheel. Its much cleaner this way.

I've had my machine for around 7 or 8 years and have done over 300 tires for me, friends, family, coworkers and others. This machine has paid for itself time and time again in either cash or cases of beer. Starting this year I no longer charge or will accept payment from friends. Bring me the tires and the bike and I'll take care of everything even tire disposal fee's.
Xlntcfp likes this.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 18-Sep-2019, 04:54 AM (412)
Survivor

Garage
Guess it depends on the sort of friends you have; others make it work. I charge nothing to change tires for friends. I do get the occasional gift such as a bottle of Irish whisky or gift card to a restaurant, but nothing is expected.
ExHarley Rider likes this.

Kevin
The Outpost, Silver City, Montana
Team Pterodactyl
2018 Ural Gear Up, 2017 R1200GSA
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 18-Sep-2019, 07:53 AM (536)
Super Awesom Person

My brother and I went in on a electric tire changer but I found a lot of people in my area use a small local repair only shop that will install tires on rims for $20 including balancing. Perhaps there is one near you?

Rick
2018 R1200GS
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 21-Sep-2019, 06:36 AM (483)

I found this local guy $20. a tire - Mount & Balancing - you can buy tires on line & send them to him
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 21-Sep-2019, 09:52 AM (619)
'05 R 1200 Gs

Talking

I started a thread in this forum, earlier, about the bead popper that is an extension on our center stand on the GS(A?). Don't think my 05 has one. That is the only difficult aspect of changing one's own tires. I took my wheel/rear tire to my friendly tire changer guy and he used his automobile machine to pop the initial bead. He even threw in a new valve stem. No charge. The rest was cake. My local bike shop wanted $60 minimum on a carry in. Plus tax plus disposal fee, etc. No thanks. Same guys wanted $140 for the Shinko 705 I bought online for $88 including shipping , from Rocky Mountain ATV/Performance.

In the old days, in order to change our own auto tires, we would actually stick the edge of the wheel/tire under the front wheel of another car and drive over the edge of the wheel to be popped and it would pop the bead.

BTW, 2 tire irons, a mixture of water and dish detergent for lube, and 30 minutes total I changed the rear tire on my '05. Saved $100.

PS, I ordered a can of Ride On to take care of the balance and puncture proofing. $15.
Xlntcfp likes this.

'05 1200 GS
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 21-Sep-2019, 01:57 PM (789)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
I started a thread in this forum, earlier, about the bead popper that is an extension on our center stand on the GS(A?). Don't think my 05 has one. That is the only difficult aspect of changing one's own tires. I took my wheel/rear tire to my friendly tire changer guy and he used his automobile machine to pop the initial bead. He even threw in a new valve stem. No charge. The rest was cake. My local bike shop wanted $60 minimum on a carry in. Plus tax plus disposal fee, etc. No thanks. Same guys wanted $140 for the Shinko 705 I bought online for $88 including shipping , from Rocky Mountain ATV/Performance.

In the old days, in order to change our own auto tires, we would actually stick the edge of the wheel/tire under the front wheel of another car and drive over the edge of the wheel to be popped and it would pop the bead.

BTW, 2 tire irons, a mixture of water and dish detergent for lube, and 30 minutes total I changed the rear tire on my '05. Saved $100.

PS, I ordered a can of Ride On to take care of the balance and puncture proofing. $15.
Buy yourself a jug of RuGlide and forgo the dish detergent. It has ammonia in it and other chemical that can corrode the rim. Yes 10's of 1,000's of people use this concoction, windex, furniture polish, WD40 and all sorts of other stuff every day but that doesn't mean its right.

Also rubber valve stems are about $0.25 to $0.50 a piece at NAPA or even WalMart.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
tire change, tires

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode