Shipping oversea help - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 15-Sep-2017, 08:29 AM (562) Thread Starter

Garage
Shipping oversea help

Hello everybody!

I was looking to ship my BMW from North Carolina to Portugal (EU) ride from there to Sicily (Italy) and ship it back from Sicily to USA.
Do you have any suggestion/information how to ship the bike? I'm looking for a cheap way to do it, so far I got a quote of a $1100 one way...a bit expensive i thought. Any suggestions? (I'm not looking to rent a bike there, I would like to use mine)

Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 15-Sep-2017, 08:22 PM (057)
Fisherman on 2 wheels!

Garage
Norfok

Depending on where you are in NC, your closest international port is most likely Norfolk, VA. I would do a quick search for shipping brokers that deal in loose cargo. You will need to break down the bike and build a crate to reduce the volume the bike occupies, that is how they will charge you.

Most companies will require you to drain the fuel and engine oil prior to shipment so be prepared to stop by a bike shop in Portugal and pick up a 4 liter jug. Spin on a new filter before you ship it.

Watch this video (skip to the end) and see what this guy did to ship the bike from South Africa back to the Americas. Skip to minute 6:06 for ideas. https://youtu.be/8Xp0-fX2iWU

Best of luck and post pictures.

Regards,

Mark

P.S. yes, this is the same Mark you met at the Georgia Mountain Rally.

Last edited by kramdunc; 15-Sep-2017 at 08:24 PM (058).
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 16-Sep-2017, 07:04 AM (503) Thread Starter

Garage
ahah no way!! hey Mark how are you? I'm actually planning to go near hiawassee in a few weeks and ride north on the Appalachian if you are in the area.
thanks for the info and now I got addicted to the YouTube vlog you posted, thank you for sharing

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 18-Sep-2017, 02:08 PM (797)
Fisherman on 2 wheels!

Garage
Tempting

That sounds tempting Marco, but I'll have to miss it this time. To much work and little time to play.

I'll definitely be doing the Georgia Mountain Rally again, hopefully this time it wont be a monsoon!

Good luck with the European trip planning, it sounds absolutely amazing.

Regards,

Mark
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 15-Dec-2017, 01:37 AM (317)

There are many shipping companies that provide overseas shipping. You can search them on internet. From a genuine website ask for pricing quotes and compare them. Shipping companies like uShip, We Will Transport It, Montway Auto Transport etc are good in this field. When you will ask for online quotes, there may be a chance that due to competition among shipping companies you may get cheap quotes. So just give it a try.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode