Why is my log in timing out? - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 21-Jan-2018, 11:05 AM (712) Thread Starter

Why is my log in timing out?

The two or three times I have tried to post a new thread, when I hit Submit, I get an error that I have been timed out and have to log in again. When I do, my post is gone except the title, and it tells me the post is too short.

This isnít the only forum Iíve posted to, and I have never had such a problem. What is the time limit on a log in, and further, why is there a time limit?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 21-Jan-2018, 12:20 PM (764)
GS (and DR)

I do not know the cause of your problem, but I'm going to make a suggestion, anyway. There were recent changes to the forum to combat a scourge of spammers. One of the changes was limitations to people who have less than 10 posts. I think the number is 10.

There is a thread in off topic -- https://www.r1200gs.info/forum/194-of...y-10-post.html where a user made a bunch of short posts to get past the needed number of posts. Try adding some short, meaningless posts to that thread. At worst it will be a waste of time.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 21-Jan-2018, 03:17 PM (886) Thread Starter

Thanks Marc. Iíll give that a try. I think I have about 7 so Iíll add 2-3 more here and maybe thatíll do it

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 21-Jan-2018, 03:18 PM (887) Thread Starter

Thinking this is #8
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 21-Jan-2018, 03:19 PM (888) Thread Starter

#9 Beatles
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 21-Jan-2018, 03:20 PM (888) Thread Starter

#10 I hope
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 21-Jan-2018, 04:28 PM (936) Thread Starter

Admin??

I now am showing 12 posts, but the site keeps logging me out. Maybe an admin could weigh in with an answer.

Do I need to punch the button that says ďremember meĒ?
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 22-Jan-2018, 12:04 PM (753)
Administrator

Garage
@Jughead the page will time out after an hour, so if you haven't done anything on the site for an hour then it'll time you out.

Niall
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-Feb-2018, 05:19 PM (971) Thread Starter

Just happened again

I just had it happen again. I was not on this site for an hour, but tried to post and got the window that says you have been logged out(and my post is completely gone). I have to say I am not a fan of this. I am on many forums and have never had to repeatedly log in.

During the time I am logged in I am actively reading different posts. What does it mean when you say ďif you havenít done anything on the site for an hour...Ē What constitutes doing something?

Where is the timer that shows me if I am running out of time to post?

Further, what is the purpose of this timing out if I am actively using the site?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admin View Post
@Jughead the page will time out after an hour, so if you haven't done anything on the site for an hour then it'll time you out.

Niall
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 13-Feb-2018, 09:26 AM (643)
Administrator

Garage
Note that, whether you are logged in or not, this is controlled by cookies. So it could be that your browser is set up to not allow cookies from the site, or is clearing them too regularly. Check your settings, and if they are good then it could a corrupted cookie file causing it, so try cleaning out cookies and cache for your browser.
Also, check your browser's password manager and make sure your credentials for this website is correct.

Also be sure to check off the 'Remember Me' box next to your login info. Let us know if that works for you and/or if you need further assistance.

Ed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode