What did you guys have for dinner? - Page 2 - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-Nov-2017, 07:05 AM (545)

This was my first attempt at a brisket:

Brisket is a really hard thing to get right. You have to cook it really slow and for a very long time to get the internal temp up to 190F but not dry it out.. I nailed on my first try and then I've ruined my next two attempts. Is was hardly worth eating.

This is the first one where I nailed it:

Current scooters:
'16 R1200GS Triple Black
'16 KTM Super Duke 1290R
'18 Yamaha WR250R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-Nov-2017, 11:48 AM (742)

Garage
It dang sure looks good! I used to help a guy smoke brisket for a large gathering. Used oak wood for the smoke. We did them in an oak fired smoker. It was a steel tank of about 500 gal capacity. Fire box on one end, chimney on the other. Air regulation on the box and a flag in the chimney to regulate heat. Could usually put in 3 pieces of split oak every couple of hours. We smoked it for about 12 hours. He always said the secret to his moist brisket was the sop. 1 gal of cooking oil to 4 gal water, with a pound of ground black pepper stirred in. Mixed it in a 12 gal plastic trash can, and sopped it on with a regular kitchen string mop. This was done at adding wood time. Sopped the up side, turned it over and sopped the bottom side. Doing it again next time we added wood. We were doing about 250 lbs of meat and camped out with it all night. I was probably the moistest (if there is such a word) I had ever had. I wish I had the recipe for it and the sauce he served on the side. Unfortunately it died with him in an inverted crash of a Super Viking.

RSmith

15 K1600 GTL (gone)
16 R1200 GS/Adv
17 HD Ultra CVO
18 K1600 GTL
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-Nov-2017, 01:03 PM (794)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmith View Post
It dang sure looks good! I used to help a guy smoke brisket for a large gathering. Used oak wood for the smoke. We did them in an oak fired smoker. It was a steel tank of about 500 gal capacity. Fire box on one end, chimney on the other. Air regulation on the box and a flag in the chimney to regulate heat. Could usually put in 3 pieces of split oak every couple of hours. We smoked it for about 12 hours. He always said the secret to his moist brisket was the sop. 1 gal of cooking oil to 4 gal water, with a pound of ground black pepper stirred in. Mixed it in a 12 gal plastic trash can, and sopped it on with a regular kitchen string mop. This was done at adding wood time. Sopped the up side, turned it over and sopped the bottom side. Doing it again next time we added wood. We were doing about 250 lbs of meat and camped out with it all night. I was probably the moistest (if there is such a word) I had ever had. I wish I had the recipe for it and the sauce he served on the side. Unfortunately it died with him in an inverted crash of a Super Viking.

That sounds interesting about the sop. I would have thought that after the first 3 - 4 hours or so that the meat would be sealed by the bark. I spritz my ribs and pork shoulder to keep the outside from getting burnt but I've always thought the secret to moist, fall apart meat was low and slow. My next door neighbor is the executive chef at the Annapolis Yacht Club and he's been out in his yard perfecting his baby backs over the last few weeks. I just hang around like a lost puppy taking notes and tasting the final product

I hate to hear things like your friend that met his end. Was he trying to do a low inverted pass and it got away from him? We all hear about the spectacular air show crashes but an alarming statistic is that most aerobatic accidents happen when the pilot has no experience doing what they're trying to do. Things look really different when the trees are coming at you at 200 mph and one mistake will kill you.

Current scooters:
'16 R1200GS Triple Black
'16 KTM Super Duke 1290R
'18 Yamaha WR250R

post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-Nov-2017, 01:22 PM (807)

Garage
He was still a green pilot. Signed off on the type. Not IFR rated yet. He was flying to South Texas, got in clouds, and investigators suspect he succumbed to vertigo---did not trust his instruments. He was advised to turn back but thought he could fly through. He and his wife were both deceased. I had their 3 children, all in high school for the weekend. I was only about 26 then. Was a really tough time.

RSmith

15 K1600 GTL (gone)
16 R1200 GS/Adv
17 HD Ultra CVO
18 K1600 GTL
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-Nov-2017, 02:15 PM (843)
Naviator

Garage
I cringe when I hear stories like what happened to your friend and his wife in the Bellanca, far too many of those (VFR pilot in IFR) accidents. I often wonder if the requirements to obtain your ticket should include an instrument rating.
My condolences.

2013 R1200GSW
post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 06-Nov-2017, 03:29 PM (895)

Garage
ďOld pilots and bold pilots; but no old, bold pilotsĒ

Sorry to add a downer here. The brisket thing triggered an old memory.

RSmith

15 K1600 GTL (gone)
16 R1200 GS/Adv
17 HD Ultra CVO
18 K1600 GTL
post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-Nov-2017, 07:43 AM (571)
Naviator

Garage
Yeah, I don't think that it's vital that this thread stay on topic.
But the brisket does look very appetizing for sure.

2013 R1200GSW
post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-Nov-2017, 04:07 PM (922)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetSpeed View Post
I cringe when I hear stories like what happened to your friend and his wife in the Bellanca, far too many of those (VFR pilot in IFR) accidents. I often wonder if the requirements to obtain your ticket should include an instrument rating.
My condolences.
You probably already know this but it isn't just VFR pilots flying in to IFR. The really experienced guys do dumb stuff too. Scott Crossfield, yep that guy, after being the first man to fly Mach 2, met his end after he intentionally flew his single engine Cessna into a massive thunderstorm and by all reckoning, it came apart on him.

I'm sure we could have a whole 'nuther thread on pilot stories. It seems like a lot of us that ride BMWs are also pilots.

Current scooters:
'16 R1200GS Triple Black
'16 KTM Super Duke 1290R
'18 Yamaha WR250R
post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-Nov-2017, 05:45 AM (489)
Naviator

Garage
Having the training and knowledge to be able to make good decisions is one thing, making them is another.

2013 R1200GSW
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-Nov-2017, 08:56 AM (622)
The ride of Life

Garage
And switching to aviation for a post or two...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetSpeed View Post
Having the training and knowledge to be able to make good decisions is one thing, making them is another.
It just mortifies me when someone crashes and dies in an aircraft. Especially if applying proper training, which they should have had, could have saved their life.

When you fly into the soup it's hard not to trust your instincts regarding aircraft attitude. It's almost impossible to have logic overcome your seat of the pants feeling for a VFR only pilot. All all of you know who are VMC only pilots is to look at your turn coordinator and execute a 180 degree turn while watching your airspeed and altitude. Every BFR I've had this is part of the review.

This should be practiced. Invite a flying friend along, bring your hood, have your friend say "cloud" or "start" and using only the turn coordinator execute a 180 turn while holding your altitude. Somebody will ask how, just start a coordinated turn (the little black ball in the glass tube needs to be centered) while the wing of the "airplane" is lined up with the mark in the bezel. This will provide a 3 degree per second turn. 2 minutes = 360 degrees, 1 minute = 180 degrees.

That one simple instrument can save your butt.

All of us love to ride motorcycles, not all of us have flown a plane. You can fly, the EAA/VAA offers "Eagle Flights", in contrast to "Young Eagle Flights" where an adult can spend an afternoon (or morning) with a participating pilot, lean about flying and take the aircraft up and fly it. Hopefully this will pique your interest in Aviation. One thing, ask LOTS of questions of your volunteer pilot, no question is stupid. I have done these flights, and I am delighted when my guest gets extremely interested in aviation.

More info here:

https://www.eaa.org/en/eaa/flight-ex...light-training

Now, back to food!

- Bumblebee
Attached Images

The Ride of Life.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode