What did you guys have for dinner? - Page 3 - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-Nov-2017, 01:43 PM (821)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumblebee View Post

That one simple instrument can save your butt.

- Bumblebee
The least used instrument in the cockpit by way too many pilots. I finished up my instrument ticket with IPC and we flew so much partial panel IFR that I developed a real A game at it. And then proceeded to not practice it nearly often enough to count on it. I started swapping approach practice rides with a good friend who was a CFII and he'd always drill me on partial panel. I lost my HSI once on approach in IMC. It was only the constant training I'd done flying no-gyro approaches at Andrews AFB that saved me that day. I decided that when I wasn't flying enough IMC (or practicing it enough to have that A game) that I stopped launching into hard IMC. I eventually got ride of the Columbia 400 and was having more fun flying the Pitts anyway.

Speaking of the Pitts, Bumblebee, did you know that you can use the ball when it's inverted? There's an air bubble in it that functions just like the ball when you're flying inverted

Current scooters:
'16 R1200GS Triple Black
'16 KTM Super Duke 1290R
'18 Yamaha WR250R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-Nov-2017, 02:34 PM (857)
The ride of Life

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayBeard View Post

Speaking of the Pitts, Bumblebee, did you know that you can use the ball when it's inverted? There's an air bubble in it that functions just like the ball when you're flying inverted
This is information I did not know. I have a Citabria 7ECA, so although it's aerobatic, upside down with negative G's are only for a short time only.

- Bumblebee.

The Ride of Life.
post #23 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-Nov-2017, 02:54 PM (870)
Survivor

Garage
You guys are killing me. I dislike flying in light aircraft a great deal. I have 400+ military and sport parachute jumps and many were out of small aircraft. Getting out of the damn things was always a relief.
jaxon likes this.

Kevin
The Outpost, Silver City, Montana
Team Pterodactyl
2018 Ural Gear Up, 2017 R1200GSA

post #24 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-Nov-2017, 04:37 PM (942)
Kam

I went up on a 4 seater last week for the first time, at night! Talk about cramped. I was taking night photos for a friend. They wanted to capture light pollution. It was amazingly still and smooth. We had zero wind...

First time in a 4 seater, not flying...

Kam
post #25 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-Nov-2017, 06:35 PM (024)

Garage
I guess I took this way off topic. I never did finish my flight instruction. A few years later I did do a few training flights in sail planes, first few in a Sweitzer(sp?) 233. Then a few in a 2 place Janus. Those are great fun, all except the tow. We could stay up longer than my bladder could stand, flying from thermal to thermal with the hawks.

RSmith

15 K1600 GTL (gone)
16 R1200 GS/Adv
17 HD Ultra CVO
18 K1600 GTL
post #26 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-Nov-2017, 09:02 AM (627)
The ride of Life

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmith View Post
I guess I took this way off topic. I never did finish my flight instruction. A few years later I did do a few training flights in sail planes, first few in a Sweitzer(sp?) 233. Then a few in a 2 place Janus. Those are great fun, all except the tow. We could stay up longer than my bladder could stand, flying from thermal to thermal with the hawks.
I haven't flown a sailplane for a while. I need to, it really recharges the soul.

- Bumblebee
GrayBeard likes this.

The Ride of Life.
post #27 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-Nov-2017, 10:04 AM (669)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmith View Post
Now we've done it for sure. Once the pilot stories start you might as well change the name of the forum

Got my glider rating at Minden Tahoe in Grob 103A ships and there's an interesting story there of an actual rope break on my very first solo in a glider - at 140'. Wasn't supposed to try but made it back to the runway. Got to do a 300 km cross country down to over Baron Hilton's ranch and back over the mountains to Minden. That flight topped out at 23,000'.

Got my sea plane rating in Moose Pass Alaska from Vern Kingsford there at Scenic Mountain Air. Look him up online - that was a bucket list trip of mountain flying in Super Cubs on straight floats and fly fishing on tributaries off the Kenai.

Current scooters:
'16 R1200GS Triple Black
'16 KTM Super Duke 1290R
'18 Yamaha WR250R

Last edited by GrayBeard; 09-Nov-2017 at 10:07 AM (671).
post #28 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-Nov-2017, 03:40 AM (402)

[QUOTE=Bumblebee;221274

This is information I did not know. I have a Citabria 7ECA, so although it's aerobatic, upside down with negative G's are only for a short time only.

- Bumblebee.[/QUOTE]

Got my seaplane Rating in a 7ECA..
post #29 of 30 (permalink) Old 30-Apr-2018, 06:29 PM (978)
30 years on 2 wheels

Garage
Bk

wopper with cheeze.

“The only difference between me and a madman is that I am not mad.”
Salvador Dali
post #30 of 30 (permalink) Old 30-Apr-2018, 11:52 PM (203)

wooper tastes good, I just had a pizza. haha
DaPfunk likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode