Ezpass - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 25-Feb-2018, 05:05 PM (961) Thread Starter

Garage
Ezpass

Is there a good way to carry EZPASS on your person so that it pays tolls while moving through 5MPH 20MPH or 60MPH toll gates? Are you able to put it in to your shirt or jacket pocket and have it work as the EZPASS site suggests? (See the links below.)

I have a BMW Enduroguard suit which has a windowed pocket on the wrist of the left sleeve, and have tried carrying the EZPASS there but with no luck. No matter how I hold my arm, the pass doesn't register / get charged as I approach the booth or when I am standing in front of the toll booth operator.

I don't feel great attaching it to my bike due to theft.

EZPASS delivers these units with foil packages which imply that they can register with the toll gate even if kept in a car's glove box.

2 useful links:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-ZPass

"Although a tag can be used with a motorcycle, there are usually no official instructions given for mounting due to the numerous variations between bike designs and the small area of a motorcycle windshield which could prove a hindrance if the transponder is attached following automobile instructions. Transponders may be put in a shirt or jacket pocket, if necessary.[3]"

Footnote [3] on the above link takes you to the EZPASS site where items 20 and 21 pertain to motorbikes:

https://web.archive.org/web/20130719...stions.aspx#20

20. Can I use the transponder on a motorcycle?
Yes. Please be sure to follow the posted speed limit and drive through the center of the lane.
21. Where do I mount the transponder on a motorcycle?
The transponder can be mounted on the windshield. If the motorcycle has no windshield it can be placed in a shirt or jacket pocket.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 25-Feb-2018, 05:47 PM (991)
GS (and DR)

My fastrak (SF Bay Area) transponder lives in a jacket breast pocket. If it's not read the billing organization uses the picture that they take of my license plate to find the account -- I've linked my licenses to my fastrak account.

I've seen some who velcro it to the bottom part of the windshield where you can't easily get to it without first removing the windshield. Several companies make holder to mount to windshields, fairing bits, and handlebars. None of them interested me.
chaostrophy likes this.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 26-Feb-2018, 07:02 AM (543)
'05 R 1200 Gs

I have the BMW Motorrad GS tank bag with the clear plastic sleeve/window on the top side. I stick my phone. speed pass, etc. in the sleeve and it has yet to fail. When I stop I reach in and remove it. Some of my riding friends use the permanently affixed to windscreen digital transponder ( peel and stick). A few years ago I had the transponder suction cup adhered to inside of windscreen. Traveled many miles with no problem but reminded myself to tether it with fishing line in case it fell off. Never did. So on one trip as soon as I started my morning ride looked up and it was gone. Back tracked miles looking for it on the side of the road or wherever. Nothing. Stopped to fuel up and just on a hunch peered down between the forks and front of engine and there it was perched. Used the bag method ever since.
Attached Images

'05 1200 GS

Last edited by Southpaw; 26-Feb-2018 at 07:17 AM (553).

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 26-Feb-2018, 09:38 AM (651) Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
I have the BMW Motorrad GS tank bag with the clear plastic sleeve/window on the top side. I stick my phone. speed pass, etc. in the sleeve and it has yet to fail. When I stop I reach in and remove it. Some of my riding friends use the permanently affixed to windscreen digital transponder ( peel and stick). A few years ago I had the transponder suction cup adhered to inside of windscreen. Traveled many miles with no problem but reminded myself to tether it with fishing line in case it fell off. Never did. So on one trip as soon as I started my morning ride looked up and it was gone. Back tracked miles looking for it on the side of the road or wherever. Nothing. Stopped to fuel up and just on a hunch peered down between the forks and front of engine and there it was perched. Used the bag method ever since.
Great story. Thanks. So you leave it in your tank bag and stop at the booth and pull it out each time?
Southpaw likes this.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 26-Feb-2018, 09:40 AM (652) Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc View Post
My fastrak (SF Bay Area) transponder lives in a jacket breast pocket. If it's not read the billing organization uses the picture that they take of my license plate to find the account -- I've linked my licenses to my fastrak account.

I've seen some who velcro it to the bottom part of the windshield where you can't easily get to it without first removing the windshield. Several companies make holder to mount to windshields, fairing bits, and handlebars. None of them interested me.
I will give it a try in my breast pocket too. Thanks. EZPASS has the same system at some gates. TappanZee bridge (across Hudson) has gone to plate discovery for everyone who passes through.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 26-Feb-2018, 10:35 AM (691)
'05 R 1200 Gs

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevedepp View Post
Great story. Thanks. So you leave it in your tank bag and stop at the booth and pull it out each time?
Nope. The scanner ( SunPass Florida ) reads it right through the clear vinyl plastic. I remove it from the bag when I park the bike out of view. Haven't had a failure yet.

'05 1200 GS
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 26-Feb-2018, 01:34 PM (815)

Garage
Never carry it

We've used EZ -pass for quite a few years and on the bikes we never, (rarely) carry the transponders with us. I know you're suppose to but I never do and have never had a problem. Just make sure you register your plate and bike with EZ pass and they'll scan your plate and bill you as normal.

Correction, the only time we had a problem they read the plate on my wife's bike as OOO on the end and they're 000. Not sure how they figured out where to send the ticket but she called them and they removed the fine.
If you come to a toll with a gate you need the transponder or just pay.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 26-Feb-2018, 02:34 PM (857)
Naviator

Garage
I was out in Virginia a few months back and one of the instructors at a school I attended had an (EZ Pass?) transponder taped to the top of his helmet.

2013 R1200GSW
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 26-Feb-2018, 03:10 PM (881)
Survivor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetSpeed View Post
I was out in Virginia a few months back and one of the instructors at a school I attended had an (EZ Pass?) transponder taped to the top of his helmet.
Would that not present a flight safety risk?

I grew-up in the flight path of Oceana Naval Air Station in Virginia Beach. My dad was stationed at Fort Story between tours in Korea and then retired there. Spent more than one evening in the parking lot of the outside the fence Class VI store getting young sailors to buy us beer. We were uniformly successful.
JetSpeed likes this.

Kevin
The Outpost, Silver City, Montana
Team Pterodactyl
2018 Ural Gear Up, 2017 R1200GSA
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 26-Feb-2018, 04:14 PM (926)

Ezpass mounting

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetSpeed View Post
I use 3M dual loc Velcro,( get it at Home Depot) to attach it to the BMW gps mount,
Works great at highway speeds too!
Do the same on my GTLE, then you can take it off and store it.

Harley
2018 R1200 GSA Rallye
2014 K 1600 GTLE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode