Shifting/clutch issues on a '14 GS - is this normal - Page 4 - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 36 (permalink) Old 18-Jan-2016, 04:29 AM (436)

shifting problem on R1200gsa

Dear Sir,
my name is FADI , I am living in LEBANON.
hope you can help solving my problem.
i bought a R1200 GS ADVENTURE 2015 model since few month, now it is up to 1200 km , i have done the first 1000 km service 1 week ago.
Something that's troubled me since getting my bike is that the shifting doesn't seem as smooth as I would expect. When I shift into first from neutral, the whole bike shudders and there is a very loud CLUNK sound. Shifting into second is likewise balky, i never expect to have such bad noise, when i show my friend that have Kawasaki motorcycle he was surprised that his own is very smooth company to my latest motorcycle.
The other gears seem to be fine, and shifting 3-6 is smooth and what I would expect from a bike of this caliber.

Anyone else experience this? Is this normal for these bikes? Or is a trip back to the dealership in order?

plz sir , i will be fully thanks if you can helping me solving this problem.
any one can help sending me email on : [email protected]

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 36 (permalink) Old 18-Jan-2016, 03:42 PM (904)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasrallah View Post
Anyone else experience this? Is this normal for these bikes? Or is a trip back to the dealership in order?
thanks
Look at post #12 in this thread: https://www.r1200gs.info/forum/14-mai...roblems-2.html

Your complaint is very common. Learning the above method of shifting will help a lot. I took me 6 months before I got mostly smooth shifts.

Also, when you get back to the dealer, make sure that the software upgrade referred to in both of these threads has been performed....it helped quite a bit on my bike...Now with 21,000 miles it shifts well, unless I forget to use the above method.

Oh, and mine still clunks into first....just ignore it. When I come up to a stop, I shift down into first with a little blip of the throttle (good for all the other gears too) BEFORE stopping. Then I hold the clutch in, even for a whole minute. That way I can avoid some of the clunks.
nasrallah likes this.

2010 TW 200
2014 R1200GS LC

Last edited by Rocky TFS; 18-Jan-2016 at 03:45 PM (906).
post #33 of 36 (permalink) Old 19-Jan-2016, 05:22 AM (474)

method of shifting

thanks much for your reply,
you told me to learn the above method of shifting, can you plz show me the best method of shifting.

thanks

Your complaint is very common. Learning the above method of shifting will help a lot. I took me 6 months before I got mostly smooth shifts.

Also, when you get back to the dealer, make sure that the software upgrade referred to in both of these threads has been performed....it helped quite a bit on my bike...Now with 21,000 miles it shifts well, unless I forget to use the above method.

Oh, and mine still clunks into first....just ignore it. When I come up to a stop, I shift down into first with a little blip of the throttle (good for all the other gears too) BEFORE stopping. Then I hold the clutch in, even for a whole minute. That way I can avoid some of the clunks.[/QUOTE]

post #34 of 36 (permalink) Old 19-Jan-2016, 09:06 AM (629)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasrallah View Post
..., can you plz show me the best method of shifting.
It is in post #12 in the thread I mentioned.

2010 TW 200
2014 R1200GS LC
post #35 of 36 (permalink) Old 19-Jan-2016, 04:03 PM (918)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky TFS View Post
It is in post #12 in the thread I mentioned.
i have a 2016 GSA, 500 miles on it now.
does the same thing. i think it's normal.

I'm taking it for the 600 miles service this week, and i will mention it and see what they say.

i should also mention that i have gear shift assist pro, shift with no clutch, but its too jumpy, i prefer using the clutch

2016 1200GS ADVENTURE WITH ALL THE GOODIES
post #36 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-Oct-2018, 08:55 AM (580)

Same here. Getting worse now that I have 30,000km on the clock. Shifting from 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to 4th is sometimes a problem. The clutch bites far out, but does not seem to fully disengage when the clutch lever is pulled in. The problem is a lot worse when in Dyna mode compared to Road. I have tried slowing down the gear changes and that helps, but wheres the fun in that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode