Need advice about buying used. - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-Oct-2014, 07:19 AM (513) Thread Starter

Need advice about buying used.

Hey Everyone,

I have been riding for a while but am new to BMW's. I am looking at a 2006 R1200 GS with 38,000 miles. Is that a lot of miles for a BMW? It seems like a lot for other bikes. What do I need to look out for or check?

Thank you for your help.

Barry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-Oct-2014, 08:10 AM (549)

I just bought a 2008 with over 110K on the clock, that was in May. This Summer I put about 10K on it. Runs like a top. There is NO doubt that I will get 300 to 400K out of it. You must keep up with maint. The previous owner never missed a service. Research years, some are better than others in terms of issues. Overall, you can't go wrong. Good luck
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-Oct-2014, 10:11 AM (632)
GS (and DR)

38K is barely broken in

A lot of miles is the R1100 which turned 500,000 miles in July -- 500,000 Miles

I usually get bored with a bike and switch to something different at about 80K miles. The people who have purchased some of my old bikes keep piling on the miles. The current owner of the '05 GS I purchased new will soon hit 100K miles.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-Oct-2014, 02:17 PM (803)

Thumbs up Not many miles

Hi!
As the others say, it's not much, the engine might outlive yourself if you maintain it as recommended..

My tips:
Since you have not got any experience from BMW boxers (as I interpret your post) you will have more difficulty determining if engine, gearbox and final drive is OK. The beamer boxers are quite rough and clonky in comparison with other types of motors and drives.. so if you feel this, it's most likely OK.

To see if you can hustle on the price a bit, check all wear parts, check if discs are warped, check wheel bearing, AND since I noticed play in the "top yoke bearing" on my 2004 see if you can wiggle the handle bar in a manor that would make the fork tubes move up and down, the this thread: https://www.r1200gs.info/forum/2-gene...g-failure.html

Well, also check the skid plate mounting points, look for any obvious cracks in the engine/oil sump.

Check if the toolset is there and OK underneath the seat, if its not there, pay less.

=) I can't come up with anything more at the moment!

Good luck, bottom line is that these bikes are awesome and rarely ridden really hard, so age does not matter much at all.

Cheers
/Magnus
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-Oct-2014, 08:41 PM (070)

I JUST went through this 3 days ago starting two weeks before that. DON'T be afraid to walk on the deal. If the dude/dealer selling is sketchy so is the bike.

Proof of service, like dealer service is great. Look out for a bike that has been in for every little thing or the same issue multiple times. Regular service intervals and regular maintenance items and you're good.

Everything else is staring you in the face. If it's broken, it's broken. It's a BMW it's going to cost.

All that said, if you're buying from a dealer and they offer an aftermarket warranty with under a $50 deductible and cost around a grand for 3 years. I'll just say that's a no brainier for me.

Having a gun and thinking you're armed is like having a piano and thinking you're a Musician. -Col. Jeff Cooper

Hey you monkeys! Leave that football alone! -Me
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-Oct-2014, 09:31 AM (605) Thread Starter

Thanks for the help.

Thank you all for the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode