Where to store bike clothes? - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 24-Apr-2015, 10:04 AM (628) Thread Starter

Unhappy Where to store bike clothes?

Got a question to ask, Its great to go on a ride, and maybe stop for a hike in the mountains. I have this problem though of how to store my riding Jacket and pants, boots and my very expensive Shumberth helmet. They are too big and bulky to go in the panniers, and I don't feel like carrying them for my hike, especially in some isolated area's I would like to visit. Having them stolen or the thought of them being nicked while I am away from the bike, even with a cable lock running through the jacket and helmet stops me from going on these hikes. What are some options? best case scenarios?
Here's asking!
Cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 24-Apr-2015, 04:19 PM (888)

Garage
I stash my boots and jacket in the panniers and my helmet in the top box. If not enough room, there are cable locks that can secure your helmet and jacket to the bike. Boots are tough though, if not in secured luggage.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 24-Apr-2015, 05:13 PM (925)

I pull a steel wire through the sleeves and the helmet and the attached it to the bike with my handcuffs. No issues yet

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 24-Apr-2015, 05:19 PM (929)
GS (and DR)

As the others have said, a cable lock through pants legs, sleeves, and helmet chin bar takes care of most of my riding gear. Some motorcycle boots are comfortable enough for hiking.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 25-Apr-2015, 03:46 AM (365)

Garage
A Packsafe net is the way to go..you can bundle jacket/pants/ boots and helmet all inside the steel netting and the lock it to the frame of the bike...they come in different sizes ....REI sells them as well as EMS...got mine from EMS...pricey (around $90)but not as expensive as your gear...not sure where to purchase in Canada.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-Jun-2019, 12:20 AM (222)

Well, I put my helmet jacket, and gloves in a steel box and lock it with my bike, because on a bike there are not other options are left to save stuff.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-Jun-2019, 06:09 AM (464)

Garage
Haven't tried this

Ian

Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 13-Jun-2019, 05:57 AM (456)

I do the cable thing as well but I'll put the travel cover over the bike if I'm going to be away for a while. Zero security but a lil outta site outta mind may help. I've gone into a store with the helmet hanging on the mirror, gloves on the tank and key in the ignition frequently in small town Canada, gotta love it. Wouldn't do it in Toronto
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 13-Jun-2019, 10:05 AM (628)

On my 2009 and 2019 GSA the full size box holds a helmet and jacket. Not always possible when traveling. I have a helmet leash for the rear rack that I use when on a trip.

Tanque 55
79 Super Glide
99 KLR
2015 Street Glide
2009 GSA
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 14-Jun-2019, 08:26 AM (560)

Garage
I use a Helmetlok II for the helmet, don't really care about the rest. If someone really wants to wear my smelly jacket, more power to them; it's insured!

2018 S1000RR "650ib Edition"
2018 R1200GS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode