R1200GS Forum banner

What have you done to your R1200GS today?

69K views 284 replies 110 participants last post by  Redcard 
#1 ·
Can't believe this forum didn't have one of these threads!

Just a place to note down things you have done to your bike today. Always good to make dedicated threads of product reviews in the mods or accessories section though.

I put on some PR4 trails on my 2016 GS :)

Got some machineartmoto head covers and Wunderlich sidestand enlarger today...will hopefully put them on tonight and will make new threads.

#5 ·
#6 ·
Had the 600 mile service done to my new GSA. Also ordered a BMW "Exclusive" seat. These seats come standard on the Triple Black GS now. I sat on one for a while in the showroom while waiting for my bike to get serviced, and it was a distinct improvement over the standard seat. It looks very nice too.

#8 ·
I got home after a 3 day trip and started unloading my bike and found my right case was missing. It was a hard ride with lots of heavy wind, but the roads were okay. Not only did I lose my Touratech case, I figure I had at least $500 worth of tools and gear in it.

I didn't feel or hear anything, it's so darn baffeling. I had stopped for fuel about 100 miles before and checked all the straps, everything was in good shape at the time.

I'm going to back track tomorrow and hope I'm lucky. Now I need to come up with a safety system to make sure it doesn't happen again.

#12 ·
I've fitted one of those BMW headlight protectors as well. Like the way they pull off easily. Glare from the headlight at night otherwise.
Particulary because of the 50w HID conversion I've fitted. Wow.
Other recent mods.
Power Commander and de cat headers. Recommended.
BMW kit that allows you to mount the Vario top box where the rear seat was. Cheap and effective.
All part of the fun of having a GS.

#13 ·
Side case

Put the replacement side case on and took a nice 100 mile ride. I spent a big part of the ride thinking about ways to attach a safety wire to the cases to prevent the loss of another case. As a part of my pre ride walk around I now check the cases to make sure they are tightly secured.

#14 ·
Installed Wunderlich 25 mm bar risers to my 2015 GSA. Would have been easier if the directions had mentioned that the risers aren't symmetrical and both have to be installed with the etched lettering towards the left side of the bike.

Once installed they did make the bike more comfortable. Rode a bit over 100 miles and my back, which sometimes bothers be while riding, felt fine.

The cables and hoses seem OK without modification, but do touch the triple clamp at full steering lock. I don't think they rub hard enough to cause any wear, and I don't spend much time at full lock, but I'll keep an eye on them.

I also noticed that if the windshield is lowered all the way, the rearview mirror on the right side touches the window with handlebars turned all the way to the left. Turning all the way to th right doesn't make the left mirror touch though. Odd. Everything looks and feels normally centered and positioned.

#15 ·
Goofy shaped windscreen

My mirrors touch the windscreen also when the handlebars are all the way left or right. However, this seems to be a function of how much the handlebars are rotated. (Whether one is sitting versus standing up). And of course, this would explain the goofy shaped windscreen.

#16 ·
Brisk Spark Plugs

Installed at 20k km. Type AOR12LGS
After 6 months showing average 2-5% better fuel economy. No discernible difference in performance or "feel". I like the Brisk idea. Just my $0.02.
Cheers
Greg:nerd:

#18 ·
Altrider Side stand enlarger

Added a much needed side stand enlarger, black:) I went with the Altrider one because the bike already had the lower crash bars from them. 2015 R1200GS. Lots of items on the wish list. Nav 5, headlight protector and larger footpegs will hopefully be added soon. Just need to dig up another jar from the yard.

#19 ·
1000KM (600mi) service, ROX risers, SW-Motec on/off foot pegs, ClearWater Billy Jr brake light, removed handgaurds from bars (need the air flow with my Held gloves) and installed LidLox bar end helmet locks.... This gets my Farkles up to a good comfort level will evaluate the function and comfort... Love reading other folks post to see what I might be missing or need :surprise:.....

#28 ·
Installed a Remus header on my O6. She only has 4000 miles and I'm the second owner. Bought the header from an inmate over at ADV. Sent it to Jet Hot had them coat it first.
Fit great, my LV can bolted right on. Sounds pretty darn good with db thing in..... Bet it wound be waaaay to loud with it out. I think it might pop a little on decel. Have booster plug in too. Too cold to test ride. 14 degrees.
Bought a harbor freight table lift about a yr ago. Guys you gotta get one of theses. Get them on sale around $250. Only way to work on these bikes!!
Oil change and filter while skid plate off.
Plugs and valve adjust next !!

Thx from the noob ! Great board !
Cal

#30 ·
the other day, went for a ride only to find a 1.25" sheet metal screw taking residence in my rear tire. Plugged it.:mad:

Yesterday, finally mounted the Valentine 1 to the gps prep bar using a Tech-Mount ball mirror mount. Let's see if it holds tightly enough.
That gps prep bar is VERY smooth and things seems to slide easily on it? I put some bicycle inner tube between the mount and the bar for protection and grip.