Motorcycles are overpriced. - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 15-Feb-2016, 02:32 AM (355) Thread Starter

Unhappy Motorcycles are overpriced.

Last week I took my R1200GS LC to my local BMW dealer to have the left handlebar switches replaced for the second time (cruise control not working, again). Whilst it was being repaired I went for a walk. Just up the road was a Honda car dealer. In pride of place on the forecourt was a new Honda Civic with a sticker price of 14995. I later looked up details of said car to find a surprisingly high specification for that price. My GS would now cost 14640!

Don't get me wrong, if asked if I would like to drive the Civic or ride a GS, the latter would win every time, but why does a motorcycle cost so much when I get so little for my money. I am not directly criticising BMW since I regards all large capacity motorcycles as being overpriced.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 15-Feb-2016, 02:39 AM (360)

Garage
I reckon it's simply return on investment, BoF. They sell more cars than bikes, so volume sales make for cheaper production costs and they break even more quickly.
Bikes need to be priced higher as they sell less. If they didn't make a profit, they wouldn't make em.
And we'd be staring out windows like neutered tomcats...
slowriding likes this.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 15-Feb-2016, 03:02 AM (376)

Agreed

BMW sold 40,000 R1200GS+R1200GSA units worldwide in 2015 which was a sales record.

Honda sold 400,000 Civics in North America alone.

At those volumes the tooling amortisation for the BMW would be significant per unit sold

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 15-Feb-2016, 03:40 AM (402)

Garage
Motorcycles are overpriced

Well, I heard a "redneck" axiom when I was a kid that I've never forgotten. My uncle rode his new Harley Panhead dresser to our home to show it off and my dad wanted to know what it cost. My uncle said, "They're about the same as a new Volkswagen." True then, true now.

Mike
Switchglide likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 15-Feb-2016, 08:08 AM (589)

Hobby

Anything hobby related has a premium price!
x7289155 and Dr. Strangelove like this.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 15-Feb-2016, 09:10 AM (632)

Garage
Buy either an airplane or boat and you will think the BMW moto's are very inexpensive.

Marty Hill
Ride till you can't

1200GS/black
700GS/white
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 15-Feb-2016, 04:13 PM (926)

So here's a question to get you thinking about why things cost what they cost. Do you think things like cars, motorcycles, refrigerators, and whatnot should be relatively priced according to how they cost to make or according to how much the market will pay?

This is a totally different question than what *you* might be willing to pay for something. There are people that think a Lexus is just an expensive Toyota and would never buy one. There are people that put some value on what the Lexus offers that aren't important to the other buyer and they'll buy it for a much greater margin to the factory than the Toyota.
Houdini likes this.

Current scooters:
'16 R1200GS Triple Black
'16 KTM Super Duke 1290R
'18 Yamaha WR250R
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 15-Feb-2016, 04:26 PM (934)

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty hill View Post
Buy either an airplane or boat and you will think the BMW moto's are very inexpensive.
Considering my '14 GS LC cost about 1/6th of my last airplane and is sometimes even MORE fun, and I don't have to have someone's permission to change the brake pads or add farkles, I think it's really cheap!!!!!
marty hill and GrayBeard like this.

2010 TW 200
2014 R1200GS LC
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 16-Feb-2016, 08:04 AM (586)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky TFS View Post
Considering my '14 GS LC cost about 1/6th of my last airplane and is sometimes even MORE fun, and I don't have to have someone's permission to change the brake pads or add farkles, I think it's really cheap!!!!!
You need a more exciting airplane!

I spent 10x on this one in 2004 but it's been something that just about defined me for the last decade+. What's really frustrating is to own something this simple and still yet be a certified airplane that requires all the oversight. Bikes are so much easier.
mikec and bikesnob like this.

Current scooters:
'16 R1200GS Triple Black
'16 KTM Super Duke 1290R
'18 Yamaha WR250R
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 26-Jan-2017, 02:25 AM (350)

Love my lil flying toy just as much :-) https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_c...wj75GbyXVHZCgw
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode