2016 R1200GS Noisy Engine - Page 2 - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 43Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 65 (permalink) Old 09-May-2016, 09:08 AM (589)

Garage
i have a FY16 GSA and i dont notice any noise..

maybe it does exist but with earplugs and windnoise, i probably won't notice it.
mikec likes this.

2016 1200GS ADVENTURE WITH ALL THE GOODIES
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 65 (permalink) Old 09-May-2016, 09:53 PM (120)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikec View Post
Bob, if you've been hanging around that P-51, no wonder you have tinnitus but I can think of no finer way to acquire that issue. When traveling your part of the country, I probably would have heard your tinnitus had mine not been so bad.

Mike
P51 is a fun ride! I was looking up at redwood trees when I went for a ride.
PoppyGreg likes this.
post #13 of 65 (permalink) Old 19-Jun-2016, 12:13 PM (718)

Hi everyone. Just bought a 2016 r1200gs triple black.Have done 800km on it and love it,except for the noise coming as you guys describe from above 3000 rpm .The sound Im hearing is clanking almost like valves on a cold diesel truck and its coming from the front.Its a quite hard metal clanking.Dont know if its being magnified by the thinner break in oil the dealer said was in the engine.But he said "they all sound like that"when I mentioned the noise.Is this hard clanking noise normal? Coming from a Honda twin this engine dont sound normal to me.Anyone any ideas what this sound might come from
Papahari likes this.

post #14 of 65 (permalink) Old 19-Jun-2016, 01:10 PM (757)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwbob51 View Post
I have tinnitus bad so I play music through my Sena to block the buzzing in my ears and no more engine noise.
+1!

I think my Sena 20S speakers sound pretty good through the 33db earplugs I use.
post #15 of 65 (permalink) Old 19-Jun-2016, 10:09 PM (131)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueridgegs View Post
+1!

I think my Sena 20S speakers sound pretty good through the 33db earplugs I use.
I may upgrade. The 10S getting old!
post #16 of 65 (permalink) Old 21-Jun-2016, 01:18 AM (262)

Garage
R1200GSA Noise

I have 2016 R1200GSA, just purchased this June 2016, and have noted the same odd noise. It seems to be coming more from the front of the bike. Definitely not from the exhaust or back of the bike. It sounds like metal grinding and rattling on metal and is loud enough to be heard over the engine and wind sounds. Has anyone contacted BMW Motarrad about this?
post #17 of 65 (permalink) Old 21-Jun-2016, 03:08 AM (339)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papahari View Post
I have 2016 R1200GSA, just purchased this June 2016, and have noted the same odd noise. It seems to be coming more from the front of the bike. Definitely not from the exhaust or back of the bike. It sounds like metal grinding and rattling on metal and is loud enough to be heard over the engine and wind sounds. Has anyone contacted BMW Motarrad about this?
Yep..heard the same thing, like valves or incomplete octane pinging, on occasion on my long ride out west and back..seems to go quiet(resets?) after slowing to a stop and resuming to highway speed..
post #18 of 65 (permalink) Old 22-Jun-2016, 08:59 AM (583)

Have break in service on the bike next monday.Talked with the dealer and he said they will take a look at it.
post #19 of 65 (permalink) Old 22-Jun-2016, 10:08 AM (631)

I'm beginning to wonder if it's related to the water pump issue that some are experiencing.. Seems the pump input shaft that slips on to the crank shaft are two pieces connected with a joint pin..any play or misalignment maybe what some are hearing.. Also it's this looseness or misalignment that maybe causing the pump shaft seal to prematurely wear resulting in early leakage..BMW calls it "weepage"..
post #20 of 65 (permalink) Old 23-Jun-2016, 04:35 PM (899)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papahari View Post
.... It sounds like metal grinding and rattling on metal and is loud enough to be heard over the engine and wind sounds. Has anyone contacted BMW Motarrad about this?
Another description: Putting a hundred bolts and nuts in an empty paint can and inserting it into a paint shaker turned on high.

And yes, thousands of owners have contacted Motorrad. Always with the same result: "They all do that"

Mine is just as noisy at 24,000 miles as when new....I just don't notice it anymore....that is until the dealer gave me an F800R last month for a loaner...I had to check the tach to be sure that the engine was really on!

2010 TW 200
2014 R1200GS LC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode