2016 R1200GS Noisy Engine - Page 3 - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 43Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 65 (permalink) Old 17-Jul-2016, 02:03 PM (794)

progressive Insurance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 65 (permalink) Old 19-Jul-2016, 05:33 PM (939)

I travelled all day in extreme hot temp and thought the motor had damage due to the noise. But it is just the norm. I changed oil to Motul 300v and its a different bike gear change is excellent and next summer we will see if the noise settles down with the different oil.
post #23 of 65 (permalink) Old 19-Jul-2016, 08:55 PM (080)

Stock Skid Plate Might Be the Issue

I have heard the noise too. I took it to an friend of mine that's been riding for years. He's about 89 now and rides a 650 Honda Scooter with a side care to keep his fix of ride bikes. He told me to get some Dyna Mat which they use in cars for speaker installs to deaden vibration and sound reflection. I laugh but did as he told me and like magic the sound went away. I have a 2016 GSA. Hope it works for you.

post #24 of 65 (permalink) Old 20-Jul-2016, 04:18 AM (387)

Just wondering where you put this Dyna Mat and how much you used.
Thanks in advance
post #25 of 65 (permalink) Old 24-Jul-2016, 08:39 PM (069)
Happy wanderer

Noisy GSW engine

Earplugs in...engine noise gone.
hundaco likes this.

2014 R12GS
2016 R12R
post #26 of 65 (permalink) Old 30-Jul-2016, 06:51 PM (993)
Ed Hale

Garage
Cool water head engine noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppyGreg View Post
Been pondering this question ever since I've discovered this site. I wonder if it's a combination of factors magnifying normal engine noises
-engine configuration. The boxer is a unique design and if you're not used to it, it's completely different from other engines. With the heads out in the breeze instead of undertank of fairings, everything's unmuffled.
- design styling. Big wide tank and guards can direct and seemingly magnify noises previously unnoticed.
- drivetrain. The above plus the whirrings of hypoid/straight cut gears have a sound all their own.
- cold motors can sound a bit different.
I reckon generally there aren't major issues behind every noise, but if it makes you go looking or pay more attention to the bike and its care/maintenance, then it can't be a bad thing.
On my 2016 GS 1200 ADV I hear:
- Cam chains
- Overhead cams
- Sometimes when letting the clutch lever out in 1st gear, some "octane ping"
All good, as I am a "gear head", I like the 125 HP and 12.5:1 compression ratio. I wear ear plugs to save the ears do to wind compression effects in the helmet at high speeds... If I want a quiet ride I ride my Gold Wing....
post #27 of 65 (permalink) Old 26-Aug-2016, 09:40 AM (611)
tor

Riding a 2015 GSA. They all make a little noise. De-compression valve at start-up and general idle chatter. I don't really worry about it. It's called character
mikec and hundaco like this.

2015 Gelšnde-StraŖe Abenteuer WassergekŁhlt Urban Angriffsfahrzeug
"Adventure Is Just Bad Planning" - Roald Amundsen
post #28 of 65 (permalink) Old 26-Aug-2016, 02:15 PM (802)

Garage
What noise.
mikec likes this.
post #29 of 65 (permalink) Old 27-Aug-2016, 06:19 AM (471)

Tinnitus here from many years of abusing my hearing in all manner of ways from a noisy cockpit of the Pitts to playing in bands to racing motorcycles. I wonder if the people that find the noises of this bike most objectionable aren't wearing any hearing protection? The only time I hear it is when my ears are open. If they aren't protecting their ears, then it's just a matter of time before the noise won't be bothering them.

I wouldn't wish tinnitus on my worst enemy. Few things are worse than being at a party in a crowded room and not being able to understand what anyone is saying.

Repeat after me, "I heard you but I didn't understand you. Can you repeat that?" If you just say "huh?" people will yell at you.

Please, please protect your hearing.
grahamspc and lifetimerider like this.

Current scooters:
'16 R1200GS Triple Black
'16 KTM Super Duke 1290R
'18 Yamaha WR250R
post #30 of 65 (permalink) Old 27-Aug-2016, 07:56 AM (539)

There's a fix

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayBeard View Post
Tinnitus here from many years of abusing my hearing in all manner of ways from a noisy cockpit of the Pitts to playing in bands to racing motorcycles. I wonder if the people that find the noises of this bike most objectionable aren't wearing any hearing protection? The only time I hear it is when my ears are open. If they aren't protecting their ears, then it's just a matter of time before the noise won't be bothering them.

I wouldn't wish tinnitus on my worst enemy. Few things are worse than being at a party in a crowded room and not being able to understand what anyone is saying.

Repeat after me, "I heard you but I didn't understand you. Can you repeat that?" If you just say "huh?" people will yell at you.

Please, please protect your hearing.
I recently got fitted for hearing aids and the the technology has come a long ways! You control them with a smartphone app along with being able to play music or podcasts through them and some have a noise canceling function for tinnitus!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode