Lowering Exhaust Pipe - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-Jul-2010, 04:22 AM (390) Thread Starter

Question Lowering Exhaust Pipe

I am considering aluminum panniers. Most manufactures have a low exhaust pipe option. Is there an advantage/disadvantage to lowering the pipe?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-Jul-2010, 05:48 AM (450)

Other than aesthetics, the only downside I can think of is high water getting into the pipes during water crossings.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-Jul-2010, 09:12 AM (592)
Fossilized Member

One of the first things I did when I got my 12GS was to lower the muffler so I could get full-size bags on. Never had a problem, although I never did really deep water crossings.

Even with the pipe lowered, the water would have to be very deep, and I think water ingress while the engine is running is very unlikely anyway.

$ .02

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 15-Jul-2010, 12:54 PM (746)

Garage
Talking Lowering Exhaust Pipe

A buddy just e-mailed to inquire where I'd gotten the muffler lowering kit for my for my GSA. Seems he didn't lower his silencer when he mounted his new panniers and, on a trip, it got so hot inside the left box that the cork blew out of his single malt scotch.

Mike
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 16-Jul-2010, 04:23 PM (891)

Even with the muffler fully submerged, water can't get in unless you stall.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 14-Jan-2011, 05:01 PM (959)

Wink Lowering Exhaust Pipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikec View Post
A buddy just e-mailed to inquire where I'd gotten the muffler lowering kits for my for my GSA. Seems he didn't lower his silencer when he mounted his new panniers and, on a trip, it got so hot inside the left box that the cork blew out of his single malt scotch.

Mike
apology for making this thread up. oh! had a same happened to me as yours mate! a man ask me for where should i got the muffler lowering kit.but the funny thing is i didn't even post any thread or something. are you answered to his mail? just confused.

Last edited by summerscheifer; 16-Jan-2011 at 07:04 AM (544).
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 15-Jan-2011, 04:23 AM (432)

Garage
Lowering Exhaust Pipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by summerscheifer View Post
apology for making this thread up. oh! had a same happened to me as yours mate! a man ask me for where should i got the muffler lowering kit.but the funny thing is i didn't even post any thread or something. are you answered to his mail? just confused.

No, I didn't know about your friend and his "hot toddy" problem. My friend lowered his muffler but, just in case, he keeps his hooch in the right bag! He isn't taking any chances.

Mike
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 19-Jan-2011, 04:01 AM (417)
JPB

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmmyV View Post
Even with the muffler fully submerged, water can't get in unless you stall.
I've heard of cases where water pressure has caused an idling engine to stall, and the general advice is to make sure you keep the revs up a little.

I believe another potential downside of lowering the exhaust is that the reduced clearance that might affect off-road capability.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 19-Jan-2011, 05:04 AM (461)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPB View Post
I've heard of cases where water pressure has caused an idling engine to stall, and the general advice is to make sure you keep the revs up a little.

I believe another potential downside of lowering the exhaust is that the reduced clearance that might affect off-road capability.
It clearly does reduce off road capacity. The sole reason the muffler is high on off road bikes is to allow long travel suspension to do its job without slamming the muffler against things. Imho, lowering the pipe is absolutely fine if your off roading is limited to gravel country roads. Luggage capacity can be greatly increased. If you plan to actually do any serious back country work with it, its not a good idea. There is a company that builds a set of stacked twin pipes up high that seems to offer the best of both worlds. Another member here has emailed them for details and hopefully will be reporting back soon.

http://www.hattech.de/bmw_r1200GS_GSA_doublefire_1.html

See comments in this thread:

https://www.r1200gs.info/forum/showthread.php?t=3888

Ken
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 19-Jan-2011, 09:04 AM (628)
Fossilized Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootertrash View Post
It clearly does reduce off road capacity. The sole reason the muffler is high on off road bikes is to allow long travel suspension to do its job without slamming the muffler against things. Imho, lowering the pipe is absolutely fine if your off roading is limited to gravel country roads. Luggage capacity can be greatly increased. If you plan to actually do any serious back country work with it, its not a good idea.
Ken
Sorry Ken, but I have to respectfully disagree. Perhaps if you're talking about a 'Dakar' level competitive bike, this may be valid, but the lowered pipe mod I did to my 12GS never presented a problem, even in deep sand and heavily rutted trails. Even when the bike wound up "resting" on its left side a number of times, the muffler did not contact anything, and the bike was sold @ 45,000 km with absolutely no damage at all to the original muffler. The new owner is also an off-roader, and reports no ongoing problems.

The mod was basically an appropriately sized 15 degree adapter where the muffler joined (a different clamp may be necessary), and an extended (or in my case, because of the system cases, a dogleg) hanger. Also, because my bike was a 2005, I had to modify the centerstand stop. The beauty of this setup was that it was easily reversible should any future owner want to return to the stock or other setup. I would recommend this to anyone.

Oh yeah, I never "cooked" anything in my luggage either...

JP
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode