Tires tires tires --- no more drama with tires - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 23-Sep-2016, 07:47 AM (532) Thread Starter

Garage
Tires tires tires --- no more drama with tires

Since i got my bike, i was torn between which tires to get,
I ended up with KAROO3 and they are great offroad tires and they perform really really well on pavement too.

but 1400 miles into it and the thread was at like 40% of life!!!.. which is crazy... more than half of the thread is gone after 1400 miles.

anyway, i finally resolved this issue, i got a set of new wheels with ONROAD TIRES on and TPMS installed, they were TAKE OFFS from a different liquid cooled bike, and now i can swap between OFFROAD wheels to ONROAD wheels on the fly.

the wheels i got came with anakee III (stock oem tires) and i have another set of stock oem tires since i got the karoos.
So now i'm all set with tires for the next 24k miles let's hope! .

the only bummer is that, GS-911 no longer allows you to program TPMS SET A, TPMS SET B, so it will not let you save all 4 tires on your bike computer,
so i had to pick which set of wheels will have FUNCTIONAL TPMS and i went with the road set.

This is for Liquid cooled, it was really hard to find SPOKE WHEELS FOR LIQUID COOLED.

2016 1200GS ADVENTURE WITH ALL THE GOODIES
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 23-Sep-2016, 07:53 AM (537) Thread Starter

Garage
My friend's opinion on other tires than karoos:
I have friends who had the K60, TKC80 and michelin wilds.

according to them, the Wilds were the worst in regard to thread life (not sure if it's worse than karoo), K60 was the worst in SAND and ROCKY TERRAIN, it's good on pavement and fire roads, and TKC80 has little better life than Wilds

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 23-Sep-2016, 08:00 AM (541)

You always have an eye out for a good deal when you buy stuff, did you find a good price for wheels? I'm thinking about doing the same so I can swap when needed.

'13 BMW K1600GT
'08 Suzuki DR650

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 23-Sep-2016, 08:35 AM (566) Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowriding View Post
You always have an eye out for a good deal when you buy stuff, did you find a good price for wheels? I'm thinking about doing the same so I can swap when needed.
Yup,
$1400 shipped, both front and rear, complete with new tires, tpms and disc rotors on the front, wheel spacer on the front and even rear wheel lugs!. it was a complete SET.

shipped from england, and arrived here in 2 days, I still can;t believe it,
ordered it monday, shipped tuesday, arrived thursday.

i got it balanced at my bmw dealer yesterday (they ripped me off, $65 to balance it) and then i programmed the tpms with GS911 and that tpms tool to activate the sensor.
i rode it to work today, they are really great. the bike is a complete different animal with road tires!

after i burn the two anakee III tire sets i have, i'm getting a 100% on-road tires, maybe michelin pilots or something similar.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode