Current Draw Problem - Battery dead in one day. - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 28-Mar-2007, 08:44 AM (572) Thread Starter
2005 R12GS

Send a message via Yahoo to TravelerTracy
Exclamation Current Draw Problem - Battery dead in one day.

Immediatly following my 6,000 mi service. I have had a problem with the battery being drained after 1-2 days. I have checked all the obvious spots for short circuits. Here are the facts. Maybe one of you can think of something that the Dealer and I can't:

-About 14.5V output while engine running.
-Current draw while key is off 0.9 amps.
-No accessories connected to the system.
-Started after 6K service, the next day.
-Battery replaced with no improvement.
-No obvious short circuits. No warning lights on display.
-Cables are tight on Battery.

I have had it serviced at a different dealer last week with no improvement. Service manager says its "normal" to have to keep the battery on a maintainer. They state that the software is up-to-date and they cleared 21 fault codes (no details).

Any Ideas???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 28-Mar-2007, 09:06 AM (587)

sounds to me like your software is not up to date. maybe the dealer has not yet updated thier system to the new one. your bike should be able to sit for months with no battery problems. as for the fault codes i would look into that you really shouldn't have that many unless it is a reacurring one, in that case you should get the problem fixed. if your dealer can't i would go to another one and another to find one who can. if my dealer can't fix a problem he goes to bmw directly.

Last edited by mrbmw07; 28-Mar-2007 at 09:10 AM (590).
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 28-Mar-2007, 02:06 PM (796)
SRF

I had similar issues with the battery being drained frequently (within two or three days of no use). I was persistant with taking it into the dealer and finally they were able to solve the problem with the help from bmw engineers. They said they gave the bike a software update, something that wasn't a recall. I'll try to find out exactly what the software update was.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 28-Mar-2007, 02:40 PM (819) Thread Starter
2005 R12GS

I live 2+ hrs ride from the nearest dealers. Is there a better way of getting them to pay serious attention to these kind of nebulous problems? Is there a was to escalate the problem directly to BMW? Maybe then the dealer would take the time to actually fix the problem.

Because I can't just ride to the dealer every week until the decide to take the problem seriously.

Thanks for all the info.
-T
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-Apr-2007, 07:51 PM (035) Thread Starter
2005 R12GS

Does anyone know of a different cause for the high current draw besides the software?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-Apr-2007, 09:11 PM (091)
GS (and DR)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelerTracy View Post

-Current draw while key is off 0.9 amps.
-No obvious short circuits. No warning lights on display.
Uhhh, a key off draw of nearly an amp sure seems like an "obvious" short circuit to me. I'd bring it to the dealer, say "fix it... and where's the loaner bike you're going to provide me while my bike is in being repaired from whatever you did last service to break it."

// marc
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-Apr-2007, 03:56 AM (372)
Sparky GS'r

Lightbulb Software upgrade.

Hi Guys,

This current draw problem was talked a lot about on the UK GS website and the software upgrade is the key.

My bike had it done on its second service, even though I'd not had any problems and it's not listed as an official recall. (I know this as the tech is a buddy).

I'm sure the BM dealers over there must know about it.

Cheers Stuart

Rock Hard & Ride Safe. Stu
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2004 R1200GS Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009 R1200GS Due soon!

I'm only wearing black until they find something darker!

|
|
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 14-Apr-2007, 04:52 AM (411)

Battery draw problems

At about 39k miles, GS bike failed to start (in he woods about 70 miles from home; ended up bumbing a ride and brought it back on a trailer!). Checked the battery, voltage was low. Put it on a charger, bike started. Next morning, bike wouldn't start, low voltage. Put in a new battery (Bikemaster); the battery dropped overnight. Swapped the supposedly defective battery for a Yuasa, and it worked for another 1,000 or so miles. Had the bike serviced, no faults showing, bike ran great, then after a 350 mile ride, bike wouldn't start again (same as before; stopped for a break). I removed the Yuasa from the bike and charged it up to 12.93 volts. I went out this morning and it had dropped off to 12.85 overnight without being hooked up to anything. I'll try the dealer again to see if there is something wrong with the mapping, but 2 different dealers have indicated no problems. Our nearest dealer is over 200 miles away, so that is a bit of an inconvenience. Guess I'll start looking for a Honda or Suzuki soon.........Thanks for the info regarding mapping. Hopefully that will solve the problem.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 14-Apr-2007, 08:33 AM (564)

Send a message via AIM to Icelander
Battery

try to load the battery with the stering lock on that was good for me

ICELANDER
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode