need used GS advice - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By Bumblebee

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 13-Nov-2016, 09:42 AM (654) Thread Starter

Garage
need used GS advice

I will be looking at getting a used GS. I have a friend who owns an exotic car and motorcycle shop who can find what I am looking for. I won't be pulling the trigger on it until net year sometime, but I need to get him a list of what I want. I know I want the lowered suspension, liquid cooling, and luggage, but beyond that, I need some advice from owners who know what to look for and what to avoid. I am thinking 2014 and newer, but that might drive the price up...well, it is a BMW after all. My wife currently has an R1200 R and we both love it. Are the spoke tires on the GS what I call "fake" spokes, meaning you still run tubeless tires in them. My off-roading will most likely be limited to fire roads and some on the beach,as I live on the Texas coast. I can't wait to see what you all come up with and what items I did not even consider. I currently ride a Triumph Street Triple and a Harley Fat Bob which is going up for sale. The GS will be added to the fleet so we will have 3 bikes between us. I have had some great advice on this forum so far, looking forward to more of the same. Also, and I know this is a BMW biased group, but I had a chance to ride a Triumph Tiger XC on the Blue Ridge Parkway this summer. I loved it . That's what got me thinking about an ADV style bike, but geared more toward touring with some off road abilities. No plans to do anything extreme, so the GSA is not the direction I am headed, just the standard model. How do you think the GS is better or worse than the Tiger? Did I say thanks in advance yet?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 13-Nov-2016, 01:06 PM (796)
The ride of Life

Garage
Two modles, differnt ride.

The GS comes in the "Adventure" and Regular GS. The adventure holds more fuel, has spoke wheels, has more suspension travel and a taller seat height. Idealy suited for the off road rider.

The standard has slightly less suspension travel, less fuel capacity, cast wheels and lower seat height.

I tried them both and went with the GS non adventure. Most of my riding is on pavement, although some of it in very poor condition. The non adventure felt better, more planted in the curves than the adventure. I am certain if I "adventured" more I would have grabbed the adventure instead.

The liquid cooled engine is still quite new. It's still pretty early to see what goes wrong with them. This engine is quite complicated so there is a higher possibility of issues popping up further along in life, also electronically these bikes are very advanced, so this could be a trouble point too.

As for picking a good used one, low mileage and clean (clean doesn't mean it was just washed, but free of damage, signs of excessive use and funky modifications). Service records? If the bike was serviced by the dealer this is a good sign. Don't discount a bike that has been well maintained by it's owner, just because a dealer maintained it doesn't mean the work was done expertly.

Also, there are "equipment packages" the bike can be equipped with, Ride Modes Pro, Active suspension, LED headlight, Shift Assist, Cruise Control, etc, all of these run the price up and may not be important to you. So check out what options are on the bike.

- JB
mikec and gdayjr like this.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 14-Nov-2016, 07:31 AM (563)
Bike&Ski

Below is an email I sent to a friend shortly after I went through the process of buying a used 2014 GSW:

------------------------------------------------
First to decide is new or used. I definitely was going used to let someone else take the hit off of the showroom floor. Then you need to decide Water Cooled or Air Cooled. First year for water cooled was 2013. The big advantage is an extra 15HP taking it up from 110 to 125, and there were a number of new technology pieces introduced. Big disadvantage is cost. There are a lot of Air Cooled bikes out there with fairly low miles for good money. For a 2013 with decent miles and the tech described below its hard to get away with less than $15K. I decided to go water cooled so I dont have a lot of info on anything prior to 2013. And, Im assuming you will want to spend some time riding dirt as well as street.

You also have the option of the GS Adventure. Biggest difference in my opinion is a larger gas tank for long treks and engine guards come standard. Its heavier too. I decided against it.

Get spoked wheels. Way more durable than the cast aluminum and necessary if you want to be off road on anything other than a maintained dirt road. The spoked have been described as bulletproof by some reviewers. When you buy one new this is a $500 upgrade. To buy used are $1000 each. Im trying to find some used wheels either spoked or cast to keep a set of road tires on but they are big money.
Anything after 2007 has ABS
In 2011 they introduced Dynamic ESA which automatically controls the stiffness of the suspension depending on the riding mode (below) and it can also be adjusted based on the number of people riding and if you have gear or not.
Most newer models have riding modes. The basic is Road and Rain modes. They work with the Automatic Stability Control ACS to control torque to the rear wheel if they sense a slip. An upgrade gets you Dynamic, Enduro, and Enduro Pro. Dynamic gives you faster throttle response and more active suspension. If you want to spend time in the woods on technical stuff you need Enduro Pro which allows you to shut off the ABS and ASC. Without it you cant break the rear wheel loose.
If it has riding modes it has the On Board Computer OBC which allows you to control the modes as well as display lots of information.
GPS Prep this is the wiring, bracket and a handwheel to accommodate a BMW GPS. I really love the handwheel on the left handlebar as you can zoom and navigate the menu without have to touch the GPS screen. You will find a lot of bikes have the prep which is a $250 option but few of them have the GPS unit itself, because they are $800. And, its hard to find them used. A much less expensive option is to clamp a garmin or something similar on.
Guards Im expecting this will tip over at some point in the woods and so I wanted engine guards and tank/radiator guards. Quite a few bikes have engine guards, less so on the tank guards. They are about $700 to add both guards from BMW or aftermarket. Touratech is probably the best.
Pannieres Most bikes will have the back rack on it that comes ready to accept BMW Vario Cases. You can also choose to add aftermarket such as Touratech or others. About $700 for saddlebags and $300 for a top case.
Auxiliary headlights youll want these either from BMW or aftermarket. The stock headlight doesnt have a wide field.
Heated handgrips Definitely. Most used bikes have them. Same with handguards, pretty standard.
Cruise control most bikes will have it. Nice to have.
Daytime riding light is an option I dont have it.
Lowered Suspension You dont want this. Its for shorter people and it reduces suspension travel. You dont need lowered seat either.

When I got serious about a couple bikes I sent them to Jim to take a look. He put me in touch with his dealer in VT who ran them through the VIN checker to see what they had for equipment coming out of the factory. Without this I probably would have bought one with a factory lowered suspension and not even known. And there are all sorts of combinations of packages and options and it can be hard to figure out initially but then you begin to learn what goes with what. And some of the people I spoke with had no clue what they had bought in terms of options. The guy I bought mine from had the Enduro Pro mode but didnt realize there is a separate chip that needs to be added. They send it with the bike but make the owner plug it in so he/she is taking the liability of turning off the ABS and ASC.

I then learned that you can do the VIN check on your own.

http://www.bmwvin.com/

But, you need to understand what the codes are. Below are the three years I was interested in.

2013 BMW R 1200 GS (Water-cooled) Info BMW MOTORCYCLES OF SAN FRANCISCO SAN FRANCISCO, CA (415) 503-9988
2014 BMW R 1200 GS Information BMW MOTORCYCLES OF SAN FRANCISCO SAN FRANCISCO, CA (415) 503-9988
2015 BMW R 1200 GS Information BMW MOTORCYCLES OF SAN FRANCISCO SAN FRANCISCO, CA (415) 503-9988

If you want to give it a try, the VIN for my bike is WB10A1100EZ185023 You only need to put in the last 7 digits to the decoder. Scroll down once the screen refreshes to see the options.

So I decided I wanted the following factory fitout:

>2013
Ride Modes Pro
On Board Computer
GPS Prep (minimum) hopefully GPS unit as well
Spoked wheels
Dynamic ESA
Heated grips/Handguards
ASC
Cruise

And either with the bike or afterward would add:

Engine/Tank Guards
L/R side Pannieres
Auxiliary Headlights

I got everything I wanted factory wise (including the factory GPS unit), plus aux lights, pannieres, BMW hard rear top case, BMW soft rear bag, BMW tank bag. 2014, 4100 miles, Paid $17K. I bought engine/tank guards from Touratech and have a set of knobbies Im going to put on after the May 7th VT ride. In truth, I had to drive to Iowa to get it and there is a longer story there. I started on Craigslist locally, then went to eBay, then expanded my search radius, then added in Cycle Trader, which is where I found this one.

One other note on year. BMW has a transferrable 3 year warranty so the 2014s at this point usually have a year or so left. Im about to use mine. There was a problem with a leaking seal in the water pump up until late 2013 when they changed it. Mine was produced in August of 2013. It affects about 1 in 10 bikes and mine is one of them. Doesnt fail, just leaks. I went to the local dealer and they are going to take care of it for me.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 14-Nov-2016, 09:37 AM (651)

Garage
Good info! Thanks for the post.

RSmith

15 K1600 GTL (gone)
16 R1200 GS/Adv
17 HD Ultra CVO
18 K1600 GTL
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 14-Nov-2016, 05:27 PM (977) Thread Starter

Garage
That is a lot of info to digest, thank you so much for your willingness to provide all that. I will scour every word and use that to make some decisions. Again, thank you for helping out a total stranger. This forum is great!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode