R1200GS Forum banner

BMW discrimination for latin american customers

3K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  mOttoG 
#1 ·
Hello. While traveling from Hermosillo México to Phoenix Arizona to visit my wife, my 2016 gs1200 adventure developed a loud noise on the head. Bike is only 2,500 km and since I was 1,250km away from the closest Mexican service dealer, I took it to GoAz in Phoenix where they very kindly accepted it under warranty. They informed me the engine needs to be rebuilt, as the rods are cracked. I asked for a new engine but they answered that Germany ordered to rebuild the engine. I said I did not agree but to go ahead, Germany knows better than me.
Well this was last October, and it's been SIX MONTHS and the bike is still at the dealer waiting for parts. Tech guy says Germany is not sending the parts, and if I were an American customer the bike would be ready within a month with a new engine because they have a lemon law or something like that.
I paid top dollar for my motorcycle, just like any other customer in the world. I do not understand why I am being treated differently. Aren't we all suppoused to have worldwide assistance from BMW? I cannot express the frustration I feel right now.
Be aware all Latin Americans, this could happen to you, for BMW USA we are not all created equal (but our dollars are)

Otto G

#6 ·
That is totally unacceptable and sorry to hear you are having this problem. I would get the bike back from the Phoenix shop, then ship or trailer it back to your dealer in Mexico where you will hopefully get better results from BMW. I have this concern in reverse when I travel in Mexico and Central America, will I get the same support from BMW when traveling internationally?

#9 ·
Was the bike purchased in Mexico or the USA? The importers are different as far as I know. My take is that the bike was purchased in Mexico, Is this the case? If so I can see the issues. If BMW NA didn't sell it why should they do warranty work on it? If you look at the warranty booklet as I recall there are a couple of paragraphs on this.

Am I barking up the wrong tree?

- John.

#10 ·
Was the bike purchased in Mexico or the USA? The importers are different as far as I know. My take is that the bike was purchased in Mexico, Is this the case? If so I can see the issues. If BMW NA didn't sell it why should they do warranty work on it? If you look at the warranty booklet as I recall there are a couple of paragraphs on this.
I see your point, but would counter that BMW has much invested in the GS's image as the bike-of-choice for people doing big round-the-world adventures (I'm still waiting for them to announce that every thousandth GS sold in June will have a book/DVD contract tucked into the rider's manual :wink2: ). Given this, I'd rather expect that Corporate would go out of its way to assure that somebody who breaks down out-of-country gets good, prompt service.

I have to wonder if this snafu is in some way related to emissions regulations--that Mexican and US versions of the bike use some different emission-related parts, and BMW can't figure out a legal way to get the Mexican part shipped to a US dealer.

#11 ·
Sorry this is my first post and to some of you it looks like trolling, but since this is my first BMW motorcycle with only 2500km, I hadn't had the chance to post before. And for the same reason you have no idea how dissapointed I am on the brand. I wish I could call this bad luck, but in a motorcycle like this, is bad engineering, defective parts or poor workmanship on the assembly line.
Good news is the dealer received the parts, and bike will be ready next week. I'll keep you posted

Otto G

#12 ·
Glad your getting things sorted out. Do you live in Hermosillo, had any gasoline issues there? I stay there from time to time when I go south along the coast. A friend is nudging me to hit the road with him and spend 2 - 4 weeks riding in Mexico, we both love it there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.