3Likes
  • 1 Post By Clay
  • 1 Post By nervous
  • 1 Post By slowriding

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 29-Apr-2017, 08:05 AM (545) Thread Starter

Garage
Another Noob from CNY

Hello all, just a quick note to say hi and thank you to all that take the time to make forms like this so useful and fun. I just picked up a nearly new 2009 R1200GS, yoru basic gray with a lot of fun things like ABS, ESA, ETC, and am thrilled with it so far. I'm generally the restless type with most of my hobbies and that trait has taken me across a wide range of motorcycles over the years. DR's to FJR to Bandit to Road King. And the weight relative to last years Road King is a welcome change. Whenever I am without a two wheeled ride I always wait for something to 'speak' to me and this year nothing had, until this one. I have always love the utility concept of this type of MC, the DR was an all time favorite smile machine. I have also never owned a BMW so here we are.

First short ride yesterday was positive. Not as powerful as I might have thought for a 1200cc but that'll keep me out of trouble. Love all the technology and that will take some getting used to. Sargent seat is a great bonus. The Two Brothers slip on is OK but I know there's no performance enhancement so I might try the stock one back on it for S&G some time. The only real current concern, as dumb as it is, is the getting on and off. I am a 6' 32" inseam so you'd think it's an easy deal but with a bad back and fairly new rt hip replacement it's just a bit challenging. I'll figure it out.

Question on passenger mounting. My wife is 5'1 and the passenger seat is about 5'0. A couple attempts on and off yesterday with the standard left foot on left passenger peg, swing over and land went well. But should I have any concerns with her placing full weight, 140#-150# on that peg and it bending teh mount at all? The Bandit I had did this and I have always worried since that one. It looks and feels pretty sturdy but I'd like some reassurance from others experiences

Another question is on that right side, exposed swing arm mount area in the frame, anyone have a cheap pop in cover solution for that? Plastic is A-OK for me.

Anyway, glad to be here, I'll be lurking, learning and popping in with silly questions from time to time. Like what's your favorite license plate frame...
Attached Images

Last edited by nervous; 29-Apr-2017 at 02:39 PM (819).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 29-Apr-2017, 01:38 PM (776)

Love to see what a "2990" R1200GS will look like..
nervous likes this.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 29-Apr-2017, 02:40 PM (819) Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay View Post
Love to see what a "2990" R1200GS will look like..
Oh... it's good! (fixed it)

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 29-Apr-2017, 02:56 PM (831)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nervous View Post

Another question is on that right side, exposed swing arm mount area in the frame, anyone have a cheap pop in cover solution for that? ...
I think we've all fallen for that one. I certainly have. I don't think there actually is an OEM cover. Aftermarket possibly. Odd, eh?

Cheers
Greg
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 29-Apr-2017, 04:18 PM (887) Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppyGreg View Post
I think we've all fallen for that one. I certainly have. I don't think there actually is an OEM cover. Aftermarket possibly. Odd, eh?

Cheers
Greg
There actually are aftermarket filler pieces but it's not that important to me at teh prices I'm seeing for a purely aesthetic purpose. Cheap plastic and I'm in!

https://www.ascycles.com/BMW-R1200GS...roductID/78659

https://www.ascycles.com/BMW-R1200ST...roductID/19164

Weiser Swing Arm Pivot Pinion Cover for BMW R1200GS

R1200GS Swing Arm Pivot Covers
Attached Images

PoppyGreg likes this.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 29-Apr-2017, 07:04 PM (003)

Garage
Nice looking ride! Congratulations

RSmith

15 K1600 GTL (gone)
16 R1200 GS/Adv
17 HD Ultra CVO
18 K1600 GTL
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 29-Apr-2017, 07:55 PM (038) Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmith View Post
Nice looking ride! Congratulations
Thank you. Thrilled to have found it. At 11K miles on an 09 it's nearly new in every way at a great price.Second ride today got me out for about an hour. I am retracting what I said initially about this not being as powerful or zippy as I had hoped. While it ain't no hot-rodded 120HP inline 4 Bandit it's darned good and had me smiling a lot of today's ride. I got a bit of a handle on the ESC but was confused from manual to bike that there was no TPS monitoring info or ACS info. So unless I am not pressing the correct sequence of buttons I am gathering that these were optional items in '09 and not as OE as the manual indicates.

Other things I noticed:

1) even with the Sargent seat I am finding myself still reflexively pushing back in the seat for a bit more room that isn't there. The rear of that seat has a slight forward slope that seems to push me forward and if that was flatter perhaps problem solved. The seating area in general is a bit of a junk crusher it seems and there's little fore or aft movement available.

2) with over 40 years of perfecting the independent front and rear breaking technique adapting to the lever only, linked/integrated braking system is as natural and terrifying as those first real underwater breaths in scuba class. Everything in my brain is saying no, and yet it's great. It'll take some time to stop naturally reacting with my right foot. A very deliberate thought process every time.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 30-Apr-2017, 09:03 AM (585)

Nervous, welcome aboard. You have nothing to fear with the passenger foot peg failing unless it is damaged. My sweetie is 5'2" and with all her gear on she used to struggle at times to get on board. We have now gone to having her mount from the front seat as if she were going to ride the bike, hand on bars and foot on peg with the bike on the side stand. I can then guide her leg over/around the side cases and she then sits in the rider position, from there she can slide back to the passenger seat with me to keep her and the bike steady.

I liked my '07 GS for what it could do, while power was not great if I dropped a gear or two and bounced her off the redline she could get the job done. Off road I liked it much more than the water cooled. I could take the '07 down to just over idle when riding through sketchy areas and she would just trundle along like a pack mule. I find the water boxer needs much more clutch work and the fly by wire throttle can be a bit twitchy when you don't want it.

Enjoy your new toy.
nervous likes this.

'13 BMW K1600GT
'08 Suzuki DR650
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode