Poll: How Do You Feel About Loud Pipes? - Page 2 - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 61Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 53 (permalink) Old 14-Jul-2017, 07:54 AM (538)

Garage
Something you'll never see on a police accident report:

Cause of accident: Operator's exhaust pipe did not output enough decibels to effectively warn oncoming traffic of his presence.
Southpaw likes this.

--
2017 R1200GS
1992 K75S
2013 G650GS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 53 (permalink) Old 14-Jul-2017, 08:33 AM (565)
The ride of Life

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob1138 View Post
There are only two types of people who need the attention to dress up and be as loud as possible are Harley riders and 16 year girls.

Brub Brrub Brrrrub! - Video Clip | South Park Studios
That was a great south park episode! I watched that several times. It really pissed a few "bikers" off too.

-Bumblebee

The Ride of Life.
post #13 of 53 (permalink) Old 14-Jul-2017, 08:44 AM (572)

I think the rumble from my aftermarket pipes, on my Harley, sound great. Not a big fan of loud pipes on my other bikes.

post #14 of 53 (permalink) Old 14-Jul-2017, 09:49 AM (617)

I'm guessing you guys don't like Harleys?

I've never heard a quiet race car, truck, airplane, boat or motorcycle. Yes I know loud dose not make them fast!

perhaps our perception of loud is different?
post #15 of 53 (permalink) Old 14-Jul-2017, 10:19 AM (638)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Dennis View Post
I'm guessing you guys don't like Harleys?
Yes, and no. I don't like the motorcycle itself, they are OK but not suited to the way I ride. It's the component that is just above the saddle that far too frequently I don't much care for. Don't get me wrong, because numerically a lot of HD riders are great people, but percentage wise too many are just accidents waiting to happen. Been riding for over 50 years and have observed riders on all kinds of bikes, but there are a group of folks that gravitate to HD's that should stick to four wheels. Professing that loud pipes save lives, "never use your front brake". "I HAD TO lay her down," and counter steering doesn't work are just a few of the reasons why it's hard to take HD riders serious.

It's the Ride, Not the Destination.

Last edited by OldButNotDead; 14-Jul-2017 at 10:22 AM (640).
post #16 of 53 (permalink) Old 14-Jul-2017, 11:34 AM (690)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldButNotDead View Post
Yes, and no. I don't like the motorcycle itself, they are OK but not suited to the way I ride. It's the component that is just above the saddle that far too frequently I don't much care for. Don't get me wrong, because numerically a lot of HD riders are great people, but percentage wise too many are just accidents waiting to happen. Been riding for over 50 years and have observed riders on all kinds of bikes, but there are a group of folks that gravitate to HD's that should stick to four wheels. Professing that loud pipes save lives, "never use your front brake". "I HAD TO lay her down," and counter steering doesn't work are just a few of the reasons why it's hard to take HD riders serious.

I can't argue with any of this.. I road a HD before I bought a GSA and sportbikes before that and I have heard everything you just said. I never really hung out with the HD crowd but I do know a few and they are OK, I mostly hung with European bikes.

I love the BMW GSA and I ride it almost every day... But this changes nothing lol I still like loud exhaust.. to a point.
post #17 of 53 (permalink) Old 14-Jul-2017, 12:25 PM (725)

Garage
[QUOTE=John Dennis;196473.... But this changes nothing lol I still like loud exhaust.. to a point.[/QUOTE]
To be honest there a deep, throaty, bass sound on HD's, other cruisers and even Ducati's that I definitely like. The sound of a Triumph triple is also sweet to me too. That BLAT sound of a straight pipe especially in inappropriate places, and I know just about everyone knows where I'm talking about, is just offensive.

It's the Ride, Not the Destination.
post #18 of 53 (permalink) Old 14-Jul-2017, 01:13 PM (759)

Stop light

I have a 1974 Norton Commando and it's loud if I run it to redline and it does have a soulful sound, but I don't sit at stop lights revving the engine. That's irritating!
post #19 of 53 (permalink) Old 14-Jul-2017, 05:40 PM (944)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwbob51 View Post
Loud pipes are for children. Like putting playing cards in your spoke on a bicycle.
I've already selected the balloons and clothes pins for my GSA when I pick it up this coming week. Much throatier sound than playing cards.

We have a few HD's in the islands but they are far outnumbered by sport rockets. Those guys while stopped are revving engines repeatedly. The HD guys specialize in cruising by an open air bar and blasting pipes. In my book it isn't how you sound it's how you use what you have.
post #20 of 53 (permalink) Old 15-Jul-2017, 03:15 AM (344)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetSpeed View Post

I look at loud pipes the same way I do tattoos, it's a quick and easy way to tell a person's IQ.

hoping you mean the type of tattoo, and not the existence of any kind...

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode