Poll: How Do You Feel About Loud Pipes? - Page 4 - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 61Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 53 (permalink) Old 25-Jul-2017, 08:46 AM (574)
Survivor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JW96 View Post
In my 46 yrs of riding I have yet to meet the "doctor" or "lawyer" riding HD. The company motto should be "Harley-Davidson: Converting fuel into noise since 1903"
I know two physicians and a handful of lawyers that ride Harleys. Some also ride BMWs. Maybe you need to get out more.
JetSpeed and Bumblebee like this.

Kevin
The Outpost, Silver City, Montana
Team Pterodactyl
2018 Ural Gear Up, 2017 R1200GSA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 53 (permalink) Old 25-Jul-2017, 10:13 AM (634)

Location: Livin' in a Poor Man's Shangri, La. aka New Orleans
Quote:
Originally Posted by JW96 View Post
In my 46 yrs of riding I have yet to meet the "doctor" or "lawyer" riding HD. The company motto should be "Harley-Davidson: Converting fuel into noise since 1903"
That's funny. Sarcastic, but funny. I really know only one other doc who still rides and it's a Ducati--I know one who used to ride (a Honda sportbike) but after a serious accident stopped. Couple of nurses who ride, one on this forum, actually.
Word is those things are dangerous, can kill you, and most heed that and have too often seen the results of a ride gone wrong. Beyond that, in a purchasing decision, my impression is that form would follow function, if it's a HD or a GS, so be it.

When I come across another rider and we chat, our occupations never come up, but only the songs of the road and the ride.

It does seem to me that many/not every HD rider is concerned, and will spend money on, things that are superficial and contribute nothing to the ride, and only promote the the "culture."
GS riders will argue about which bash plate offers more protection for the off roading that they rarely do, while HD riders will exhibit chrome envy among themselves.

in the end though, we are all in the same two-wheeled club and share the joy of the ride and that is the most important thing, i think.
Ayep and Crucian like this.
post #33 of 53 (permalink) Old 26-Jul-2017, 08:42 AM (571)
'05 R 1200 Gs

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Dennis View Post
I cant stand quite bikes, most motorcycles are performance machines and they should be loud. I don't mean loud like no muffler or any kind of silencer but they should be heard.

I always wear ear plugs so a loud exhaust note does not bother me. And maybe, just perhaps a cager will hear me if they don't see me.
I believe that is a myth.

'05 1200 GS

post #34 of 53 (permalink) Old 26-Jul-2017, 08:51 AM (577)
'05 R 1200 Gs

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Dennis View Post
I'm guessing you guys don't like Harleys?

I've never heard a quiet race car, truck, airplane, boat or motorcycle. Yes I know loud dose not make them fast!

perhaps our perception of loud is different?
Faulty analogy. NHRA has banned open exhaust "racers" in California. All of the outboard engine mfrs. have gone to 4 stroke "quiet" motors. I have flown plenty of "quiet" airplanes. I will admit I am a bit embarrassed when my Remus aftermarket exhaust pops but that isn't even close to the decibel level of open exhaust "harleys". Stick a baffle in it is my motto.

'05 1200 GS
post #35 of 53 (permalink) Old 26-Jul-2017, 09:09 AM (589)
The ride of Life

Garage
For a short while I had a Triumph 800Xc. Nice bike, but the R-1200GS that replaced it is much better. Anyway, that came with a goodie basket of accessories, one was an Arrow exhaust system. I wondered what was in there, so I took the bandsaw to it and cut it in two. Answer? Not too much. Very poorly made, for what it cost it should have been better.

Aww, I just ruined a $600 exhaust system. After a few more cuts with the bandsaw Into the trash it went.

- BB

The Ride of Life.

Last edited by Bumblebee; 28-Jul-2017 at 07:57 AM (540).
post #36 of 53 (permalink) Old 18-Oct-2017, 01:14 PM (760)

Garage
Subtly louder exhausts are fine and a must in London traffic, where people drive with music banging and phones by their ears. Just the Harley make your ears bleed exhausts are a piss take, I don't even know how they get through the MOT.

He who laughs last thinks the slowest...
post #37 of 53 (permalink) Old 18-Oct-2017, 02:33 PM (814)

Loud = obnoxious..should be easily enforced but half the cops ride Harley?s anyway ..
post #38 of 53 (permalink) Old 18-Oct-2017, 02:44 PM (822)

The lower the volume the better ,don't need the extra attention from cops & I ride presuming everyone on the road is a complete idiot & often times they prove me right
post #39 of 53 (permalink) Old 18-Oct-2017, 10:42 PM (154)

Garage
In my experience, for having ridden over the past 4 years two identical bikes, one with loud pipe, one with stock, quiet as anything.

- Yes, louder pipes make it easier for cars to let you through. But it's in no way a "safety" feature, by the time they've heard me, I've already had to hit the brakes. Basically, useful in traffic jams to make way through traffic, cars do move over quicker. But not until you are onto them, in no way do they anticipate anymore the fact I'm coming through.

- I feel a pillock as soon as I'm in town. I don't like pissing people off. And there's just nothing cool about riding a purposely loud vehicle in residencial areas.

- Sounds more "fun" and racy out of towns, but there again, I am much more likely to get pulled over. With the quiet bike, not once have I been pulled over. In fact, there have been times where police have not even bothered lifting their speed camera up, although I was above the limit. They just watch me passe. But with the other bike and a loud pipe, I tend to attract more attention... And better watch it.

The main thing in my mind is just common sense : don't go overkill with the noise, stick with autorised models, and keep in mind making a racket in towns is disrespectful
post #40 of 53 (permalink) Old 18-Oct-2017, 11:04 PM (169)

I hate loud pipes and especially on Harley's
Southpaw likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode