TFT dash option? - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 27-Jul-2017, 06:47 AM (491) Thread Starter

TFT dash option?

It appears that the updated 2018 R1200GS Adventure will be available with the option of a trick colour TFT dash.

Is it likely that it could be retro fitted to my 2017 non Adventure GS? For me it would be a very desirable option.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 27-Jul-2017, 07:38 AM (526)
Naviator

Garage
The reality is that even if the new TFT IP was offered as a retrofit through BMW (which there is no word on as of yet) with the analog instrument cluster costing nearly $1300 the retrofit TFT kit is surely to be incredibly expensive, so much so that most would-be adopters will be turned off.

On the other hand I would buy it in a minute so long as they keep the price point around there, I hate the analog instruments so badly that anything has got to be an improvement.

My best guess is that this TFT IP will not ever be offered as a retrofit option due to the fact that most (I have never heard otherwise) dealers are unable to program actual odometer readings into a new cluster if you have one that fails, they place a stick on the bike indicating the odo reading when the new cluster was installed.

2013 R1200GSW
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 27-Jul-2017, 08:28 AM (561)
The ride of Life

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetSpeed View Post
dealers are unable to program actual odometer readings into a new cluster if you have one that fails, they place a stick on the bike indicating the odo reading when the new cluster was installed.
Ya, know...when I plug the GS911 into my RT or GS one of the first items it shows is the mileage of the bike. This leads me to believe that the mileage is kept in one of the many controllers in the bike. So, might the instrument cluster just be a display? Of maybe the GS911 is reading it from the instrument?

I do know this, another "famous manufacturer" of motorcycles sells all number of speedometer upgrades, when you get one you plug it into the service port with the provided cable, turn the bike on and in a few seconds the new speedometer (and odometer) have the existing mileage transferred.

It would be truly cool if the TFT display could be retrofitted to earlier motorcycles, but somehow I doubt this will happen.

- Bumblebee

The Ride of Life.

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 27-Jul-2017, 11:01 AM (667) Thread Starter

Bloody hell! $1300 for an replacement instrument panel? I guess if it is possible to retrofit a TFT panel it would cost even more.

When the instrument panel of my 2010 Ducrapi Multistresser 1200 went wrong the existing mileage couldn't be transferred to the new panel. Even worse the service interval display was out of sync.
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 27-Jul-2017, 02:43 PM (821)
Survivor

Garage
I prefer the analog.

Kevin
The Outpost, Silver City, Montana
Team Pterodactyl
2018 Ural Gear Up, 2017 R1200GSA
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 27-Jul-2017, 03:15 PM (844)

Garage
Instrument cluster

For me, the standard instrument cluster is adequate. Along with the GPS display, I can get all the information that I need.
The instruments are there to tell you what you should already know.

Past: 1955 Norton ES-2, 1972 Norton 750 Commando Long Range Fastback, 1977 Honda 350XLE, 2001 R1150RT (written off), 2005 R1150RT, 2004 R1150GS, 2001 F650GS.
Current: 2013 R1200GS LC
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 27-Jul-2017, 04:11 PM (882)
Naviator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumblebee View Post
Ya, know...when I plug the GS911 into my RT or GS one of the first items it shows is the mileage of the bike. This leads me to believe that the mileage is kept in one of the many controllers in the bike. So, might the instrument cluster just be a display? Of maybe the GS911 is reading it from the instrument?

I do know this, another "famous manufacturer" of motorcycles sells all number of speedometer upgrades, when you get one you plug it into the service port with the provided cable, turn the bike on and in a few seconds the new speedometer (and odometer) have the existing mileage transferred.

It would be truly cool if the TFT display could be retrofitted to earlier motorcycles, but somehow I doubt this will happen.

- Bumblebee
If only it could be this easy.

In the case of the GS I have to wonder what came first the chicken or the egg in that if the BMS-X and/or ZFE controllers get the odometer information from the cluster or if the cluster receives the data from the controllers, I do know that once the data is received by any of the three items it is irreversible.

I would wager that the TFT costs less to produce than the analog/LCD display on the current GSW's, even though it incorporates some additional features such as Bluetooth for phone and media the actual BT chips are cheap to integrate as are the features into a display and the TFT screens are relatively inexpensive to manufacture as well, and all the new features are integrated 100% within the cluster meaning it should be physically possible to be retrofitted provided that BMW hasn't incorporated something to make it impossible.

And unlike Houdini I actually look at the instruments to view data that I don't know or want to verify, for instance on occasion I have spotted cops and figured I was doing on or under the limit only to look down and have a surprise, I need the force evidently.
Houdini likes this.

2013 R1200GSW

Last edited by JetSpeed; 28-Jul-2017 at 07:32 AM (522).
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 28-Jul-2017, 12:00 PM (708)
GS (and DR)

I believe the mileage is stored in both the BMS-whatever and the KOMBI (instrument cluster) and that the displayed value comes from the KOMBI. Alas, I can't find the sources to back up that belief so could very well be wrong.
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 28-Jul-2017, 02:31 PM (813)

You can't swap clusters without ISTA coding at the dealer. Mileage is stored in the cluster as well as ECU and require ISTA sync. I was told you would be able to retrofit the TFT cluster, but definitely require dealer coding. I believe the bracket is different too. Personally prefer the current cluster for a bike like the GS, but I get the appeal of the TFT.... it won't be cheap.
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 28-Jul-2017, 05:58 PM (957)
The ride of Life

Garage
from what I have heard I'd guess you'd need to get a new bike to get that new cluster.

- Bumblebee

The Ride of Life.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode