Lowered vs standard GS - Page 3 - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-Sep-2017, 07:28 AM (519)

I'm 5'6" and have a 2017 GSA Lowered. I'm not sure what my inseam is but 28-30 I assume. i have yet to have any issues I mean I am on my tippy toes and have been offload a few times mostly hard dirt trails some loose gravel and so far no issues. I have been two up also with my girl and do notice the difference when stopped and i have the Helmet plus luggage setting in place since I think the two helmets are way too much i'm only 150lbs and the little lady is less so helmet plus luggage is just fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 38 (permalink) Old 28-Dec-2017, 03:15 PM (885)
Eno

My inside length is 28inches. Try the Airhawk GS lowered seat on a lowered suspension R1200GS. Yes, expensive, but serves the purpose and works for me. Very comfortable if inflated correctly. And you sit lower than on any of the other makes low seats.
Whilst I generally ride around with the ESA in auto, a neat trick in towns/cities or on short rides is to put the ESA into Low. (One button press) Makes a huge difference in being able to flat foot in traffic, at lights etc.
I even lowered the pegs to compensate. (For leg angle) I've no problems with scraping.

There seems to be much discussion regarding the low suspension versus the standard. There shouldn't be unless one is doing some serious off-road (enduro) work. Ordinarily, there's no disadvantage.

So basically, if one's leg length is short, consider the lowered suspension GS. (Or GSA if that's your preferred bike) If you have decent leg length then go for the standard. If not sure, test them both.

Whatever, just speak to people who ride them !
post #23 of 38 (permalink) Old 29-Dec-2017, 05:42 AM (487)

I'm short in the inseam, 31". I ride 50/50 and the off-road 50% can be some challenging ADV bike terrain. I'm not talking where only true dual sports go, but challenging on a big bike, steep rocky, rutted climbs and descents, and sand. Having owned a Super Tenere, Triumph XCx, and an Africa Twin has given me the opportunity to try different bikes on the same trails (COBDR for example) and see how each performed. Medical issues have forced me to ride less challenging terrain mostly because of the potential remoteness of some of these areas, but its not going to stop me from going to some of the same places on my GSA as I did with my other bikes.

I opted for the GSA Low. When you ride uneven, steep, rocky terrain, its nice to be able to put your foot on the ground firmly. My AT with the seat in the low position, and the low seat (which was still taller than the GSA Low), I saved myself multiple times from tipping over where both my taller ST and XCx had me picking it up. My ST was low for an ADV bike, I bought a good skid plate, an Altrider, and that really helped when I would ride those "rock gardens". Sure I'd hear it bouncing off the plate, but no damage to the bike itself.

So for me, a GSA Low was the right choice. I doubt I'll give up much with the Low model vs. the Standard...

post #24 of 38 (permalink) Old 30-Dec-2017, 02:12 PM (841)

Garage
I just bought a low 2016 R1200GSA. I'm 5'11" with a 32" inseam. I've been riding a RT with no problem but I liked the low GS because I could touch with both feet flat footed which I thought would be better then the 1" of ground clearance you lose when off road.
post #25 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-Jan-2018, 09:31 PM (147)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eno View Post
My inside length is 28inches. Try the Airhawk GS lowered seat on a lowered suspension R1200GS. Yes, expensive, but serves the purpose and works for me. Very comfortable if inflated correctly. And you sit lower than on any of the other makes low seats.
Whilst I generally ride around with the ESA in auto, a neat trick in towns/cities or on short rides is to put the ESA into Low. (One button press) Makes a huge difference in being able to flat foot in traffic, at lights etc.
I even lowered the pegs to compensate. (For leg angle) I've no problems with scraping.

There seems to be much discussion regarding the low suspension versus the standard. There shouldn't be unless one is doing some serious off-road (enduro) work. Ordinarily, there's no disadvantage.

So basically, if one's leg length is short, consider the lowered suspension GS. (Or GSA if that's your preferred bike) If you have decent leg length then go for the standard. If not sure, test them both.

Whatever, just speak to people who ride them !

Can you tell me more about the Airhawk seat? I know about the pads they make but would like to know more about the seat itself. The reviews that I find are all for the pads. How long have you had it?. Does it pump up like the pads?

Thanks
post #26 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-Jan-2018, 10:04 PM (169)

I recently rode the GS tour edition.

I am 5 10 with a 32 inch inseam, and the standard GS has always been fine. There was something weird about the bike I rode...it felt low.

Turns out that the tour edition in Australia has a "tour" seat, which is sculpted out about 20mm....

marcimark likes this.
post #27 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-Jun-2018, 02:36 PM (817)

Garage
I am 5'11" with a 30" inseam and I chose the lowered version, it just felt better to me. I've had it off road without any issues, but it will only see fire roads etc. I will get a smaller bike for the tough stuff.
post #28 of 38 (permalink) Old 26-Jun-2018, 02:32 AM (314)

Garage
This is all good info here! Thanks from a new guy with a short 28" inseam. I also will be 50/50 on the low suspension. Going to try out the new Karoo street tires on the new bike.

Traded in my 2014 F700GS for the 2018 R1200GS Low Suspension. The R1200GS has just been awesome.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #29 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-Jul-2018, 07:57 AM (539) Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcracer View Post
TALL.. They are TALL! I am 6'3" and my bike came with the LOW SEAT option (purchased used with 12K miles on the odo). I went with the Sargent adjustable seat that I like very much. Some claim the ride is OFF on the LOWERED GS's. Well I can testify that the ride sucks on the tall unmodified model also! I don't know what machines you have previously ridden, but the R1200GS is a streetable 1200cc dirtbike..
I'd put it in the class of a 1200cc Super-moto race bike (fun). It is at home on Forest Service maintained dirt roads, other than that you are just trying to prove something to yourself. Other bikes are better at true single track off-roading!

My Over-all review of my 2005 R1200GS (like new).. The ride is harsh. The front end comes straight thru to the bars, very little softening of the SMALL road seams and small impacts. While off road and standing it's a great 1200cc dirt bike. My front spring preload is backed off and still the shock dampening is not good. A very RAW street bike experience.. as popular as they are for street use, I expected more.

If you want one.. and you need it lower.. get it that way and don't worry about effecting the ride quality because it is poor from the start.
Damn I could not disagree more. I ride almost all on the street 5'5" and 28 inseam. My bike is the regular GS with a lowered Sargent seat. I have no issues with the height and the ride is amazing. The trellis suspension gives very little dive under hard braking and honestly the soft setting for me is more comfortable than my previous Ducati Monsters.
post #30 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-Jul-2018, 09:54 AM (621)

Garage
What BMW says:

Spring travel, front 7.5 in (190 mm)
with lowered suspensionOE 6.3 in (160 mm)

Spring travel, at rear wheel 7.9 in (200 mm)
with lowered suspensionOE 6.7 in (170 mm)

About an 30mm. The seat makes up the rest.

Since I'm not going do really technical riding I think I'm good.
julit0 likes this.

--
2017 R1200GS
1992 K75S
2013 G650GS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode