Lowered vs standard GS - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 31-Aug-2017, 04:15 AM (385) Thread Starter

Lowered vs standard GS

I am 5'5" with a 28 inch inseam. Recently I ran into a bunch of GS riders that asked me why I did not go for the lowered suspension. I explained that I had no problem sliding around the seat to put right and left foot down at stops so I did not feel I needed the low version. Also, I did not want to compromise the legendary ride of the GS by modifying it. Was I right? I just watched a video of a comparison between the GS ADV Lowered Vs Standard and they basically said that there was no compromise unless you ride hard off road. Anyway I purchased the low version of the seargent seat and love the bike. any thought guys? Did I make s mistake not buying the low version?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 31-Aug-2017, 04:38 AM (401)

Garage
I sold my first GS (2011) because it was too tall and was having back issues. Even quit riding and I am almost 6'3" with 33" inseam. When my non-riding insanity was cured, I got my second GS (2016). I thought I wanted the lowered model but when I discussed the matter with some old time GS riders they recommended against it. Don't recall what their points were but they made sense at the time. Didn't ride the short model to confirm. Why don't you ride the two bikes and confirm.

I once rode with a lady who was an instructor at some track up in Michigan. She was 5' even at best. At the time she was riding a 1050 Sprint. She had no problems getting on and off the bike or while stopped in traffic for whatever reason. She just developed techniques for adjusting to her lack of altitude.

It's the Ride, Not the Destination.
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 31-Aug-2017, 04:48 AM (408) Thread Starter

I should have tried the low version. I my bike for a test ride came back and said done! I loved it so much I never even thought to take the low out.
mrcosi76 likes this.

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 31-Aug-2017, 08:49 AM (576)

Garage
Hmmm

I'm 5'9" @ 195 lbs. 31 inch inseam. I think I'm on the edge. Years ago it was out of the question getting a GS. The F800GS ADV was really high.

While the low seems like a good idea some could probably get away with a low seat on a normal suspension. At least I think I could. If you're around my size I'd elect to get a normal seat. The configurator has them listed at +$50 but I doubt you could realistically get it at that price at a dealer. They're going to want to sell you that seat. I'll likely get a normal seat later on so I don't feel sunk into the bike holding on to mini ape hangers. ESA comfort soft and low seat is really comically low for me.

With the ESA set of 2 up it gets a little higher and I imagine would be more but the seat height at the lowest setting and ESA soft it feels really weird to me being that low on a ADV bike.

"You lose travel with a lower suspension!" Yeah, but not much and most people aren't Ewan McGregor either. Part of that low part is the seat height is about an inch lower. If your under my height get the low, about the same you might be close. It's really your level of comfort on the balls of your feet that matter.

Riding two up with bags and the ESA set accordingly you'll get the compression to at least get 70% of your foot on the pavement, but that less than %5 of your time on the bike right?

--
2017 R1200GS
1992 K75S
2013 G650GS
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 31-Aug-2017, 09:18 AM (596) Thread Starter

31" inseam buddy if I had that inseam I would have no issue riding anything.
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 31-Aug-2017, 09:49 AM (618)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubaman View Post
31" inseam buddy if I had that inseam I would have no issue riding anything.
I don't think you made a mistake. I think they're making the mistake of saying you should have got a lowered one.

--
2017 R1200GS
1992 K75S
2013 G650GS
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 31-Aug-2017, 10:14 AM (634)

I went to a BMW demo day last weekend. First I tried the lowered GSA. I'm 5'11" and can easily flatfoot it. Even with a full tank of gas, the bike felt light and not at all top heavy. The lowered version lowers the cog a bit too. Then I tried the Rallye in standard height. I could almost flat foot it. I could touch either the balls of my feet and have my heels up slightly or touch both heels. It was that close. It did feel a little top heavy but not much. I would have a difficult time deciding which to get. The lowered would make it really easy in bumper to bumper traffic and off roading, but the standard wouldn't be that much more difficult. I would need to try the GSA in standard with a full tank to see if it feels top heavy or not. Both absolutely beautiful machines.

I also hear that the 2018 GSA will come in the Rallye colors.
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 31-Aug-2017, 12:42 PM (737)

I think it's a personal preference on what feels right to you. In my case, I rode both and choose the low suspension. With my boots on, I'm 6'5" with a little over 34" inseam. I don't need the low, but I like the low. Feels like a sport bike on the highway, and for the gravel / fire roads I travel there is no clearance penalty. With the low suspension, I can easily get a foot down on any terrain. More than once, I've had a foot slip out on loose terrain and the extra safety factor of leg reach saved me. I also have ESA on my bike, and at my light weight I can set it to 2up and get about 3/4 of the lowered suspension height back in a pinch.
julit0 likes this.
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 31-Aug-2017, 05:04 PM (920) Thread Starter

Man 34" inseam..., I would think I would feel cramped on any bike much less a lowered one. One thing I am not sure what the difference would be but I actually dragged my toe of my boot leaning over in a steep curve. Granted I put the big footpegs that lower the pegs a bit but wouldn't the lowered model have less clearance?
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-Sep-2017, 03:03 AM (335)

I always wanted a GS, but didn't buy one because of the height.

I purchased a R1200R last February, because the sales guy (new at the time) didn't know that the GS is available with lowered suspension.
BMW Australia also doesn't promote it very well on their web site or in brochures.

IT is all about personal preference and what feels comfortable and safe.
I ride my bikes in traffic and stop/start a lot, therefore I want to feel safe when stopping and don't want to slide on the seat to make this happen.
I rode the "normal" GS and it is just manageable, but it never gave me a good feel.

I took delivery of a GS Rallye with low suspension three weeks ago and it feels right.
The bike still has the suspension in low setting, when riding in traffic.

I never considered lowering a GS, as it involves cutting the centre stand and side stand and also is not a cheap option.
The factory option was only AU$250

I'm 167cm in height, whatever that is in your system
Attached Images

julit0, K7TNT and asaulo1 like this.

R1200GS Rallye - All Options - Nav VI - MaMo Light bars with LED - MaMo X-Covers - HexezCan - Stebel Horn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode