Foot dragging - Page 2 - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 18-Sep-2017, 09:48 AM (616)
The ride of Life

Garage
If I get a little to carried away...

If I get a little carried away in the twisties, then yes. I can lightly touch a foot down, either side.
I should stop trying to keep up with crazy fast sport bike riders, thing is though, I can and do!

-Bumblebee

The Ride of Life.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 18-Sep-2017, 10:42 AM (654)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumblebee View Post
If I get a little carried away in the twisties, then yes. I can lightly touch a foot down, either side.
I should stop trying to keep up with crazy fast sport bike riders, thing is though, I can and do!

-Bumblebee
I guess if I used the proper balls of my feet on the pegs it would not happen but man the GS is comfortable.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 18-Sep-2017, 11:41 AM (695)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumblebee View Post

-Bumblebee
I guess if I used the proper balls of my feet on the pegs it would not happen but man the GS is comfortable in the corners more than i would have thought.

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 18-Sep-2017, 02:16 PM (803)
Lifetime Rider of Bikes

Garage
Good informative thread for me today

Thanks for all the input as I have the new 17 Exclusive and am really loving it but have not carved to deep in the canyons as I am still feeling the bike out.

That said. I bought this bike for leg room . My RS was wonderful bike but the body was too "tight" on it for me and especially in my knees so I got the full height model even though I'm not tall and I also added the adjustable foot pegs with the spring loaded center for standing up riding and I am finally feeling very comfy on this Beemer.

I read a couple of things here that I'd like to know more and that is the Michelin Pilot road 4 (trail) is a tire I can buy in the states with the 19 inch front and I had them on the RS and really liked them , so naturally I am not impressed with the Anakee' III 's so far mostly due to the apparent howling they exhibit at highway speeds to lower 40's . Any input short of hijacking this thread would be appreciated.

cheers
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 18-Sep-2017, 08:04 PM (044)

Every once in awhile

When I pick up the pace I move forward on the saddle to get more weight over the front wheel and bring my feet back on the pegs. If I get a little hot in a turn without the adjustment, I touch down sometimes. Now on the Norton it is self preservation putting your toe out with pegs that don't fold!
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 19-Sep-2017, 07:40 AM (528)
The ride of Life

Garage
Is dragging a toe all that bad?

Me thinks not. Tells me the next thing I'm going to drag is hard. If I am going "Crazy Ninja Fast" then I can put the balls of my foot on the peg. It's rare I go "Crazy Ninja Fast" though. We had a local track day, I discovered that you can get an additional amount of lean angle by doing this.

- BB

The Ride of Life.
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 19-Sep-2017, 10:17 AM (636)

I have been in the same position - use the PR4 GT tire for the rear and the Trail in the front. The PR4 Trail is softer in the middle and it will not last near as long as the PR4 GT. I have had both and definitely won't buy another Trail for the rear - they just don't last from what I have seen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stixx View Post
Thanks for all the input as I have the new 17 Exclusive and am really loving it but have not carved to deep in the canyons as I am still feeling the bike out.

That said. I bought this bike for leg room . My RS was wonderful bike but the body was too "tight" on it for me and especially in my knees so I got the full height model even though I'm not tall and I also added the adjustable foot pegs with the spring loaded center for standing up riding and I am finally feeling very comfy on this Beemer.

I read a couple of things here that I'd like to know more and that is the Michelin Pilot road 4 (trail) is a tire I can buy in the states with the 19 inch front and I had them on the RS and really liked them , so naturally I am not impressed with the Anakee' III 's so far mostly due to the apparent howling they exhibit at highway speeds to lower 40's . Any input short of hijacking this thread would be appreciated.

cheers
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 20-Sep-2017, 01:44 AM (280)
Not that senior.

Send a message via MSN to gdayjr Send a message via Yahoo to gdayjr Send a message via Skype™ to gdayjr
depends on what year your bike is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bully View Post
I have been in the same position - use the PR4 GT tire for the rear and the Trail in the front. The PR4 Trail is softer in the middle and it will not last near as long as the PR4 GT. I have had both and definitely won't buy another Trail for the rear - they just don't last from what I have seen
You can't get the Gt compound for pre 13 L/C bikes

Graham Day. Sydney Australia
2005 R1200GS 93,000km (Stolen)
2004 R1200GS. 88, 000 km
2007 R1200GS. 34000 km.
current bike. 2010 R1200GS. 83000 km and going as good as new.
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 20-Sep-2017, 09:43 AM (613)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdayjr View Post
You can't get the Gt compound for pre 13 L/C bikes
Yeah, that's a bummer. Stixx mentioned though that he has a 2017 model so I was directing that to him.
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 21-Sep-2017, 06:33 AM (481)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubaman View Post
I guess if I used the proper balls of my feet on the pegs it would not happen but man the GS is comfortable in the corners more than i would have thought.
Exactly. The proper position of your feet on the pegs for strafing apexes on in the twisties or track is the ball of your foot on the peg. There's no reason you should ever be touching your boot down (or hard parts for that matter on the road).

Why does your foot position matter? Because you need to lock on to the bike with your lower body to stay light on the bars when you're riding at 8/10ths or more. The way you lock on with your lower body is to flex your calf to jam that outside knee into the bike as you shift your weight to the inside of the corner. That only works properly if the ball of your foot is on the peg. This is taught at every track school (California Superbike, et. al) and if we're grinding boots here in this discussion, then we're talking about performance cornering, right?

Current scooters:
'16 R1200GS Triple Black
'16 KTM Super Duke 1290R
'18 Yamaha WR250R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode