Anti wheelie is too intrusive. - Page 5 - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 72 (permalink) Old 16-Jul-2018, 09:07 AM (588)
Road Warrior

Yes, its helmets so, it's the old 2017 whith the old system that is more intrusive than it was in '15 and '16. So, if it's the older system, shouldn't they be able to flash it back to older firmware and fix the issue?

@Crucian: not trying to wheelie on Madison Ave. NYC, just trying to accelerate at the same rate as my buddy on his 2016 GSA without the power getting cut and the bike taking a violent nose dive. I dont ride in the city much but, when I do I like to get out of the way of the morons as quick as possible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 72 (permalink) Old 18-Jul-2018, 06:57 AM (498)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fidof650 View Post
@Crucian: not trying to wheelie on Madison Ave. NYC, just trying to accelerate at the same rate as my buddy on his 2016 GSA without the power getting cut and the bike taking a violent nose dive. I dont ride in the city much but, when I do I like to get out of the way of the morons as quick as possible.
I haven't read this whole thread so sorry if you've answered this question already - If you turn off traction control, what happens? How fast you accelerate is a function of how much power you can put on the pavement. If you turn off traction control, do you get wheel spin or does the bike wheelie and force you to come out of the throttle when you're trying to catch your friend.

I get easy power only wheelies in first gear on my '16 with the traction control off but not in 2nd and higher. It takes a clutch up to wheelie in 2nd. I have to say though that this bike is a fun hooligan ride around town even with the nannies turned on but in Dyna mode. It'll pooch up a tiny loftie and then just get on with business - exactly what I want it to do while also being there to catch me quicker than I could ever react when I give it enough beans to over power my rear knobby on a corner. I just leave it on unless its time to show off for my adoring fans.

Current scooters:
'16 R1200GS Triple Black
'16 KTM Super Duke 1290R
'18 Yamaha WR250R
post #43 of 72 (permalink) Old 18-Jul-2018, 07:19 AM (513)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayBeard View Post
I haven't read this whole thread so sorry if you've answered this question already - If you turn off traction control, what happens? How fast you accelerate is a function of how much power you can put on the pavement. If you turn off traction control, do you get wheel spin or does the bike wheelie and force you to come out of the throttle when you're trying to catch your friend.

I get easy power only wheelies in first gear on my '16 with the traction control off but not in 2nd and higher. It takes a clutch up to wheelie in 2nd. I have to say though that this bike is a fun hooligan ride around town even with the nannies turned on but in Dyna mode. It'll pooch up a tiny loftie and then just get on with business - exactly what I want it to do while also being there to catch me quicker than I could ever react when I give it enough beans to over power my rear knobby on a corner. I just leave it on unless its time to show off for my adoring fans.
I've had the front wheel start to come up in 2nd and 3rd with wheelie control on as my 2014 approached redline! I figure with wheelie control off it would keep going up till rev limiter hit. I can jump objects in 1st with it on at low revs.

post #44 of 72 (permalink) Old 24-Jul-2018, 02:03 PM (794)
Road Warrior

The '16 allows a little lift under hard acceleration where the '17 does not. It's fairly common with powerful bikes for the front tire to lift slightly in the lower gears under hard acceleration without the risk of looping the bike. For example, my '01 Yamaha FZ1 often lifts the tire in first and second gear.
What I am experiencing is an unnecessary power cut under heavy acceleration where no risk is present. I have played around with turning TC off and I can accelerate much harder without any risk of looping the bike. I can also stand it up if I choose but that is done with a deliberate snap of the throttle rather than controlled heavy acceleration.
It would seem that the '16 is actually more dialed in and refined than the early '17.
Whatever the cause, I'm looking for a solution because it is not working as designed.
According to BMW of Manhattan, I should be walking away from my friends bike.
I'll know more by the weekend because I'm taking a trip down to the city so, they can go over the bike with a fine toothed comb.
post #45 of 72 (permalink) Old 24-Jul-2018, 06:52 PM (994)

Garage
Quote:
The '16 allows a little lift under hard acceleration where the '17 does not. It's fairly common with powerful bikes for the front tire to lift slightly in the lower gears under hard acceleration without the risk of looping the bike. For example, my '01 Yamaha FZ1 often lifts the tire in first and second gear.
What I am experiencing is an unnecessary power cut under heavy acceleration where no risk is present. I have played around with turning TC off and I can accelerate much harder without any risk of looping the bike. I can also stand it up if I choose but that is done with a deliberate snap of the throttle rather than controlled heavy acceleration.
It would seem that the '16 is actually more dialed in and refined than the early '17.
Whatever the cause, I'm looking for a solution because it is not working as designed.
I'll know more by the weekend because I'm taking a trip down to the city so, they can go over the bike with a fine toothed comb.
Let us know what comes up
post #46 of 72 (permalink) Old 27-Jul-2018, 07:45 AM (531)

I have the early 2017 with the helmets. I paid roughly 2500 bucks less for it because it was the early build and I bought it in May 2017. I do not experience any of the issues you are describing and I ride in ROAD and DYNAMIC. Granted I got all that out of the way with my Ducati Monster 1200s.
post #47 of 72 (permalink) Old 27-Jul-2018, 09:24 AM (600) Thread Starter

Quote:
Interestingly my 2014 GS would allow the front wheel to rise slightly when accelerating quickly, gaining speed without a hint of ignition retardation but my 2017 GS will not. Instead the engine miss fires as if the ignition switch is turned off for a second or so.

Guess it's a software update to stop any chance of the front wheel from rising introduced by the 'Kill Joy Department' at BMW.
post #48 of 72 (permalink) Old 28-Jul-2018, 12:52 AM (244)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boringoldfart View Post
Guess it's a software update to stop any chance of the front wheel from rising introduced by the 'Kill Joy Department' at BMW.
Bullocks!
It has all to do with protecting the cash reserves, for the event some snowflakes crash because of it.
People these days take people and companies to court for everything.
The world is not as fun as it used to be

R1200GS Rallye - All Options - Nav VI - MaMo Light bars with LED - MaMo X-Covers - HexezCan - Stebel Horn
post #49 of 72 (permalink) Old 28-Jul-2018, 05:00 AM (416) Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcimark View Post
Bullocks!
It has all to do with protecting the cash reserves, for the event some snowflakes crash because of it.
People these days take people and companies to court for everything.
The world is not as fun as it used to be
This morning went for a ride and twice the engine effectively turned off when I accelerated moderately quickly in a second or third gear (can't really recall) when there absolutely no risk of the back wheel spinning or the front rising.

Perhaps the gyroscope thingy, that was introduced on the 2017 model, is over sensitive or faulty??
post #50 of 72 (permalink) Old 28-Jul-2018, 10:51 AM (660)
Road Warrior

So, here's the word from BMW of Manhattan. First off, let me say that their service department is absolutely top notch. They are not only competent and knowledgeable but, they went out of their way to make sure every concern was addressed and that I was comfortable during my stay.

As far as Dynamic Pro on the early production 2017 models, it looks like it was available as a paid add on at the time of purchase. To add it later requires a special order for the software upgrade which must be installed within a short window of time. I'll be heading back down next Thursday to have this done so, I can test whether Dynamic Pro is less intrusive.

Interestingly, none of the dealerships I spoke with knew about the Dynamic Pro option on the early 2017 Models including the sales team and service department at BMW of Manhattan until they researched the issue further.

I'll keep you all posted as I learn more.

As a side note, while there I had the Mitas E-07 Plus's mounted and immediately rode almost 3hrs home through Friday Manhattan traffic and wild thunderstorms with flooding on the Taconic State Parkway and the tires were fantastic! I watched countless weekenders in their 6 figure SUVs panicking and hydroplaning through pools of water. I had no problems breaking hard or riding at speed to get past those who seemed destined for the ditch.
I didn't test the grip at speed on any really twist roads (I like to scuff in my new tires even when its dry before pushing them.) but, the highway ramps and some deliberate swerving on local roads were uneventful and seemed promising in the very wet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode