R1200GS Forum banner

Anti wheelie is too intrusive.

46K views 74 replies 29 participants last post by  GrayBeard 
#1 ·
I find the anti wheelie on my 2017 R1200GS far too intrusive. When making fast overtakes in lower gears I find that as soon as the front starts to rise the engine virtually turns off. Rolling off the throttle and opening it again will often turn the engine off yet again. Subtle it is not. A decent anti wheelie program should permit continuous acceleration with the front wheel just hovering off the road.

The GS is a very sophisticated motorcycle but sadly the anti wheelie function is pants (as in underwear, not trousers). Not impressed.

#6 ·
Yes, it can be turned off. Since the anti wheelie combines with traction control I tend to leave it on. It's not practical to turn it off immediately before an overtake and leaving it off can cause serious, hard to control (for me) vicious front up and possible 'flip'. I'm sure it could/should be programmed to be more subtle!

#7 ·
Have you tried Enduro PRO mode? (Recommended only off road!)
After connecting the encoding plug (it is under the driver seat) Dynamic riding mode is replaced by Dynamic PRO riding mode, and Enduro riding mode is replaced by Enduro PRO riding mode.

Both Dynamic PRO and Enduro PRO riding modes can be further customized via SETUP MODE.

Factory settings for Enduro PRO riding mode are: - DTC: Enduro PRO; ABS: Enduro PRO; ENGINE: Road (p.77 of the Rider's manual - (R.M.))

Factory settings for Dynamic PRO riding mode are: - DTC: Dynamic; ENGINE: Dynamic (p. 79 of the R.M.)

It is all somewhat confusing but there it is.

On page 127 of R.M. they also mention that in Dynamic, Dynamic PRO and ENDURO riding modes front wheel liftoff detection allows for short wheelies. And that in Enduro PRO riding mode front wheel lift-off is switched off. There you go. They do not recommend activation of Enduro and Enduro PRO modes on the road!
I tried only ROAD and DYNAMIC riding modes so far, and I find that Dynamic suits me better for everyday riding. Never tried wheelies yet. Never tried Dynamic PRO or even Enduro, let alone Enduro PRO mode.

#8 ·
Marc and Mr. Fart have pretty much nailed it.
Dynamic mode allows a little loft while Road and Rain intervene almost the moment any air is under the front tire.
I often times will deactivate Traction Control and ABS when I want to have some fun and ride hard, let's face it though if the safety wasn't kicking in quickly things could get out of hand in an awfully big hurry for some.

#13 ·
I did a power wheelie in 2nd gear on road mode today after reading this thread. Never thought of it much before. It didnt stay up, but it definitely came up 6-7 inches. I also found the "balance point" where I can accelerate hard with the front wheel barely on the ground and TC not intervening. My R6 would toss you on the ground if you weren't careful with it. The BMW is an amazing machine. Not going to go to crazy until the fork recall is sorted though. Dynamic mode wheelies will have to wait.

#15 ·
Boring, you'll get use to it and what I've found helps reduce the occurrence of abrupt interventions is to be slightly less abrupt with snapping the throttle open on those fast overtakes. I also run my bike always in Dynamic on road and Enduro Pro off-road. Other than slick road conditions, I can't imagine why I'd use any other modes.

With the DTC turned off, this bike is as much a hooligan ride as my Super Duke 1290R >:)

#19 ·
So Dynamic Pro is only on 17+ models? Bummer, bought mine '16 in Oct '16, maybe should have waited for the new model year. Oh well :(

#23 ·
Pro modes was an option on the 16 but it only has enduro PRO after u plug in that thingie......My friend has it and there is no dynamic pro!
So in the 16s you got rain road dynamic enduro and enduro pro if you ordered with the option. The Dynamic pro came in the 2018 models after November I think

#24 ·
The latest firmware update last week has addressed the issue of being able to customise the amount of DTC, ABS and throttle response in the Dynamic pro and Enduro pro modes. You can now dial up or down via the TFT screen how much or little intrusion you would want. However, Road and Rain modes parameters cannot be customised. Not sure if it will work with the analog dash.

#27 ·
I've got the pro ride modes but I have only used it once and the rest of the time it's just Road mode with dynamic suspension setup and auto load for the suspension in dynamic setup.

Not sure if it's justifiable to pay $$ for the pro modes for that little extra rideability although in dynamic pro the throttle response is slightly quicker.

#30 ·
If you read the literature for the 2017 model year it clearly refers to Dynamic Pro on page 9 of the pdf I included in my post.
Reiner Fings is also referring specifically to the 2017 model year on the BMW Motorrad youtube channel. While I understand that it is available for the 2018 model neither the literature nor the video refer to the TFT display which is new for 2018 and further supports that I am referring to the correct (2017) sources. Even a 2018 bike manufactured in 2017 would still be a 2018 model. The content I'm referencing is specific to the 2017 model.
"Its simple really. "

#31 ·
FYI: The attached images are from the 2017 model year promotional material. One refers to Dynamic Pro and the other refers to a product that will be released in the second quarter of 2017. Clearly not referring to 2018 models.
I would suggest you keep your condescension to yourself until you have completed some actual research.
We're all here to learn and share what we know. Snarky remarks a just childish.

Attachments

#33 ·
Whoops Fido I didnt mean to be snarky and apologies if you felt like that!
Ok so this is what I had learnt or researched....so Model Year 2018 comes out in 2017. So they incorporated the changes in 2017 itself. Some countries get it early, some countries get it late, for India Bikes came in November 2017.
The changes which were made were
1) Fully automatic ESA which has a setting Min Max Auto
2) Changed gearbox (Dont know exactly what was changed)
3) TFT as an option
4) 2018 Colors which were....Triple black, Rallye edition and red ( this red was different from the earlier 2017 red)
So the only way you can surely tell is color and the ESA settings.
And this Im talking about the GS Adv, the GS underwent these changes much earlier in 2017, hence one of the posters said his june bike had all this.

#36 ·
Not sure if the Adventure version was handled the same way as far as the roll out of the now infamous 2017.5 on the regular GS. I bought a 2017 regular GS Triple black in June of 2017. The bike was screwed together November of 2016 but was badged as a 2017. It does not have the Dynamic ESA or Dynamic pro mode ( only the Enduro pro plug in). To my understanding November 2016 was when they stopped making the previous version and then went to what is essentially the 2018 that they snuck out early as a 2017.5.
I'm guessing that my 2017 has the same internals as a 2016. So the wheelie control ( T/C ) operates properly although I have never tested it while lifting the front wheel intentionally. I have hammered this bike throttle wise coming out of corners and have never had it cut power. I ride mostly in Dynamic mode.

#37 ·
Your TC has to be set up different than mine then. I can dump the clutch in first gear and that front tire's not leaving the pavement!
I have no problem pulling low power wheelies on my buddies '16 though regardless of ride mode. It's really odd. His TC works well in terms of keeping the bike planted and stable it's just far less intrusive. This has been my experiance on the '15s as well. I've never ridden another '17 or an '18 so, I can't compare to see if mine is just like other 17s or to see what the 18 is like pre pro chip.
I'd love to flesh this out more though.

Any chance it could be related to the change in geometry on my low version vs. Sta card hight?

#38 ·
Wow, this was an eye-opening read. I bought my GSA in December of 2017. I never checked the "build date", but I seemed to recall the dealer going over a different 2017 and showing me Dyna Pro and Enduro Pro when a dongle was plugged in. When I received my GSA (not the one they showed the features on), they plugged in the dongle and we went over the bike and I left.

The next day, playing with all the various electronic features, I didn't see "Dyna Pro", I figured I must have gotten confused and there was no such thing as Dyna Pro.

Now I finally read this and see that "late 2017" GSA had it but not early 2017s.... Reckon' it explains why... Oh well...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.