R1200GS Forum banner

The plastic key

35K views 55 replies 30 participants last post by  JMB711 
#1 ·
My 2017 keyless bike came with that plastic key that I can hold under the bike to start it if my main key doesn't work or is lost, etc.

I was thinking about this plastic key today. If my main key fails, that means I have to have that plastic key on me at all times to use as backup, especially on longer/farther rides.

While the convenience of pushing a button and having the bike start is great, I'm starting to think overall it might not be such a good deal. I've never carried two keys with me and now it seems like I'll have to?

How are you guys managing this emergency key? Don't take it, take it all the time, stash it on the bike?

#2 ·
I agree. I wish it was set-up more like my Ducati Diavel. IF you lose the FOB or the battery dies, you simply enter a PIN code and the bike will start and run as normal. On another one of my bikes you could use a key as normal, so I'd keep the spare key in my wallet. So thats what I do now.

My dealer suggested "hiding" the key somewhere secure on the bike. Another suggestion based on what they have seen someone do, is actually open the plastic key and take the 'chip' out and glue it to a piece of jewelry that the person wears almost all the time. One last suggestion was to put it on a necklace or lanyard and wear it around my neck, making putting it on part of my "dressing" routine when I go for a ride..

I thought about hiding it, but I'd have to put it in something, find a place to stash it that can be easily accessed but won't fall off...

#6 ·
All of my riding jackets have a very small forearm zippered pocket; I will be keeping the plastic key in there. I only change jackets with the seasons so moving the back-up key two or three times a year is no big deal.

Reactions: Ryno23
#9 ·
In addition to the plastic key in my helmet I carry a spare fob with the battery removed. I’ve been putting it in a waterproof pocket in my jacket. I carry the fob that is in use on a lanyard around my neck. In the past Spousal Unit and I have exchanged spare keys and each carried the other’s. May do that again now that she has her own fob.

#10 ·
Am I right in thinking that the fob works even if the battery is dead, just the same way as the plastic key?
Hold the fob (with battery removed) near the receiver under the seat/up in the rear wheel arch and the bike will detect it.
The key without a battery is a passive device and the fob with the battery acts as a transmitter from a short distance.

I may be wrong.

Also, I have always been told that the plastic key is referred to as a "boot key" because it can be carried in your boot.
More confusing in Australia where we call the trunk of a car the "boot" also.

Reactions: JetSpeed
#13 ·
If these things seldomly fail, it might not be necessary to carry the spare all the time.

However, if they're prone to failure, taking your second key is a must and at that point, it is just pointless to have a keyless system.

I've never had my cars keyless system fail in several years of ownership, but that is always nice and dry. Bikes might be different.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

#15 ·
I may be wrong, but I don't remember reading about a bike having a failure of the key recognition ID system (chip). As I understand it, the chip in the key (keyless or keyed ignition) is a very reliable and proven piece of tech for preventing someone hot wiring a bike, by placing this ID recognition component between the turning of a key/pushing of a button and the ignition system itself. A simple electronic hand shake if you will.

A highly oversimplified description for certain, but from my understanding, the chip is common in most if not all cars these days and more and more bikes.

I've posted about this before, but talking to my BMW mechanic recently, it all came flooding back when he told me about another GS that he worked on recently which had suffered the same ignition failure my bike experienced.
Keyless Ride on both (although this was not the fault) and one day the bike just wont start. Complete failure of the electronic module that handles the ignition sequence and it must be replaced in full. Coded to the individual bike, it must be replaced by a unit configured in the BMW factory and cannot simply be taken from another bike or a "standard" spare part.

This is a catastrophic failure in my book when you are overseas and part way through a multi-week adventure, only to find that you have to wait some 4-5 weeks to get up and running again.

Back to one of the original questions/concerns about having to carry a second key because the Keyless Ride bikes are somehow different - I'm not sure I agree.
If the ignition system fails you are stuffed either way. If you lose your key (Keyless Ride or traditional) it pays to have a spare and the plastic key is a nice small option. If your key's battery goes flat, no problem, just hold the fob to the underside of the rear fender (or between the two sections of the seat).

My gripe - why do these keys cost so much?

#17 ·
I may be wrong, but I don't remember reading about a bike having a failure of the key recognition ID system (chip).
About 2007 there was a spate of EWS failures due to a part change -- the circular antenna that triggers the key and reads its response. It took BMW 2 or 3 tries before the replacement parts were reliable. I forget what it stands for in German, but the English way to remember the meaning of EWS on your instrument console is Engine Wont Start. When you get that message you might be lucky -- it can be caused by a low bike battery. If that's not the cause the bike will be towed because there is nothing you can do to workaround the issue.

It's not just a BMW thing. Some friends recently came to the aid of an Indian rider. The rider and his passenger stopped at the side of the road for a rest brake. Nothing he could do would get the bike started when it was time to move on. To make matters worse they were out of cell phone range. The ultimate cause: the Indian Key Fob has a bettery and the battery died. The owner was not aware of any tricks to get the bike started when this happens (other than having a spare Fob battery on hand).

This is a catastrophic failure in my book when you are overseas and part way through a multi-week adventure, only to find that you have to wait some 4-5 weeks to get up and running again.
Yup. May I suggest a KLR or DR650 for your next multi-week adventure. >:)

Seriously, it is a potential issue, but so is failure of one of the many controllers on the bike. Face it... there are many things that will keep the bike from working if they break. Good thing that failure is relatively rare.

[/QUOTE]

#16 ·
where to hide the key

I was going to tape mine (with electrical) tape to the cross member of the center stand like I did on my FJR but re-thinking that now because if it gets wet it might get ruined. Might just keep in the tank bag which is always on the bike. I like it there because no one can see it and I always know where it is. I for one do not care for the "keyless" option on motorcycles. PITA. You have to worry and carry extra batteries or buy an extra fob for a lot of money. BMW should give you two when you buy the bike as well. Cars come with two always. They just want to sell more fobs.

#18 ·
just for info for possible newbies...that plastic key is VERY distance sensitive to work. It has to be very very close to the nubbin to work...like nearly touching it. Anywhere else and it will not start the bike.
I carry mine in my tank bag, but there are some really good alternative, and better, ideas here.

A bit off topic...many here also have bought the non-chipped metal key to use for the seat and luggage, GPS lock, fearing the fob switch blade key is a bit flimsy, and wanting something more durable.

#19 ·
Having owned a normal "keyed" GS and RT and ridden three "keyless ones", I'll take the key any time!

Alas my brand new bike is keyless. I keep the fob zipped in my jacket pocket. Interestingly, any more than about 1m from the bike, and the system doesn't work - as it should.

Thanks for the info re the spare key and the location for starting if all goes wrong.

#23 ·
I've just left the key at home thus far and figured I'd call the "Off Base Commander" if I lost my fob or whatever - but I really like the idea of taping it inside my helmet, as that is one piece of gear I never ever ever ride without. Thanks for the question and the commentaries, great group!

#27 · (Edited)
A few years ago I lost the key to my GS while camping alone in central Idaho, had to hike out which took the better part of the day before I got a ride into McCall, from there I was able to order a key via phone from the dealer that sold me the bike, lost the key on a Saturday and didn't get the replacement until Wednesday.
So I carry a spare key.
Taping it to the helmet for me is not good since I have 2 that I wear but I can see where that would work for many.

#30 ·
I see this and have the plastic key in my pannier (which is a good option if the battery in the fob fails, but less good if I actually lost the key ring the fob is on as it has my pannier key) for now.

How hard is it to get a second fob? I've not tried, but I did have the key in my Xterra fail once when I was completely across the country (it was simply worn out after so much use). Luckily I had given my spare to my girlfriend so we could get it started and get home. From that experience, I'd rather have a spare fob laying about such that my fiance and I could both carry each others keys.

#31 ·
I keep the plastic key in a small pocket in the jacket I wear whenever I ride. I never ride without a proper jacket so this made sense. Guarantee I will lock the pannier, lose the fob and be screwed as there is not an easy way into them when they are locked. Another hint, practice a couple times starting the bike with the plastic key so you know how it works and not trying to figure out in a remote place.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.