TFT pairing with phone and headset - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 55 (permalink) Old 16-Jan-2018, 06:31 AM (521) Thread Starter

Garage
TFT pairing with phone and headset

Recently took delivery of my GS A Rallye and having issues with the operation of phone and headset when trying to make a call - I'm using an iPhone 6 and a Scala G1, both pair to the TFT fine and work fine with music from the phone but no audio in/out when making a call - seems fine to use the bike controls to bring up the phone menu and navigate to make the call but then it seems like the headset drops out as soon as phone begins to make call.

Anyone else have the same setup and managed to get it to work reliably, please post to let me know what I'm doing wrong (or if this is a terminal issue with the BMW and I will need to look at getting the BMW headset).

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 55 (permalink) Old 16-Jan-2018, 07:19 AM (554)

Garage
Hi - and welcome

I'm not technically inclined to respond as I have no GPS. But I have however noticed that there are many posts regarding this subject, or similar ones anyway. I'd do a quick search, you may find your answer simply.
post #3 of 55 (permalink) Old 16-Jan-2018, 07:23 AM (557)

Garage
My last two bikes had similar issues, but different accessories, until I downloaded and installed the Garmin Smart Link APP. For what ever reason everything worked better after.

Mark
USN SCPO (Retired)
2017 GSA

post #4 of 55 (permalink) Old 16-Jan-2018, 07:31 AM (563)
Naviator

Garage
The Q1 is going on 5 years now, be sure that you have the latest software update V 2.0 uploaded to the device.
You may also want to consider getting a newer device.

2013 R1200GSW
post #5 of 55 (permalink) Old 16-Jan-2018, 08:09 AM (590) Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryno23 View Post
My last two bikes had similar issues, but different accessories, until I downloaded and installed the Garmin Smart Link APP. For what ever reason everything worked better after.
Hi - thanks but this is not with the BMW GPS which I dont have - just with the TFT screen on the bike.
post #6 of 55 (permalink) Old 16-Jan-2018, 08:11 AM (591) Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetSpeed View Post
The Q1 is going on 5 years now, be sure that you have the latest software update V 2.0 uploaded to the device.
Thanks Jet, will give that a try, can't remember the last time that I checked for an update on the Q1, so maybe that will help.
Cheers
JetSpeed likes this.
post #7 of 55 (permalink) Old 17-Jan-2018, 03:49 PM (909)

If you paired your headset to the phone - will not work. That means you paired the headset to two items (TFT and phone) which will cause problems. Reset the headset (reset button if it has one) and just pair the headset to the TFT. Nothing should be paired to more than one device. I posted what I did in the accessory section (Disparing over pairing) as an answer to someones question. Hope that helps
post #8 of 55 (permalink) Old 19-Jan-2018, 02:26 AM (351) Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timinwashington View Post
If you paired your headset to the phone - will not work. That means you paired the headset to two items (TFT and phone) which will cause problems. Reset the headset (reset button if it has one) and just pair the headset to the TFT. Nothing should be paired to more than one device. I posted what I did in the accessory section (Disparing over pairing) as an answer to someones question. Hope that helps
Thanks for the advice Tim, unfortunately this also did not work - in fact the situation is now worse. I did reset the Q1 (removed all previous pairings), I also removed the Q1 from the saved devices in my iPhone to be on the safe side and then did as you mentioned, paired the iPhone to the TFT and then (attempted to) pair the Q1 to the TFT - in this situation the TFT would just not connect to the Q1 and in fact each time a pairing was attempted (the Q1 flashing red/blue) it would turn the Q1 off.

I also tried to achieve the Q1 only connected to the TFT on both Channel 1 & 2 again with the same result.

The only way I seem to be able to get some limited success is if the Q1 is paired and connected to the iPhone and then pair and connect Channel 2 of the Q1 to the TFT (the iPhone also remains paired and connected to the FTF) - with this arrangement I have no issues with listening to media from the iPhone on the headset which I can control from the TFT but as soon as I initiate a call either from the TFT or directly from the phone I get no audio in my helmet (obviously I was only trying direct from the phone for testing and not whilst riding, before anyone jumps on me :-) ). Control is fine using the nav wheel to make and end calls etc but just no audio - in this situation I can see on the phone that when the call is made the audio menu comes up on the phone showing that it has connected to the BMW, if I manually select the Scala Q1 as the audio device from the available selections on the phone I can then hear the call fine - clearly not much use whilst on the go.

Clearly the issue lies with the TFT and it's ability to connect to the Q1 - I don't have a huge issue changing from the Q1 to another headset device but it would be very useful to know from others which combinations of headset work with the TFT before making the investment and then finding the same issues. I assume that the BMW headset works without issues but if this can only be used with a BMW helmet then thats a non starter for me.

If people could post what devices they have working with the TFT I would be very grateful.

Cheers

I believe you may be under the false impression that I give a f**k
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Dartanion; 19-Jan-2018 at 03:30 AM (395). Reason: Error naming the headset manufacturer
post #9 of 55 (permalink) Old 19-Jan-2018, 02:28 AM (352) Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetSpeed View Post
Hi Jet, just a quick update, I did update the software to V2.1 (latest) on the Q1, but unfortunately, this did not resolve the issues. I guess my search continues.
JetSpeed likes this.

I believe you may be under the false impression that I give a f**k
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 55 (permalink) Old 25-Jan-2018, 09:46 PM (157)

I was told by my dealer that the BMW helmets have sena comm systems. I have schuberth helmets with sena 10U in both and everything works.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode