GSA Radiator Guards - Page 4 - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-Feb-2019, 08:24 AM (600)

I got a set off eBay for around $30. for my 2017 GSA. They're pretty stout, CNC cut stainless and fit perfectly.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-Feb-2019, 09:05 AM (628)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by enzo5000 View Post
I got a set off eBay for around $30. for my 2017 GSA. They're pretty stout, CNC cut stainless and fit perfectly.
Enzo I had these same ones on my bike........the edges have broken! Ill post pics...Chinese knock offs
Check yours carefully......

Also a strange thing happened was going to add a separate thread.....the temps have dropped!1 I dont know why and how....
post #33 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-Feb-2019, 05:54 AM (496)
Lifetime Rider of Bikes

Garage
Im Confused now.

I noticed the 2017 R 1200 GS Rally had radiator guards and after I picked up a tiny rock on the interstate my radiator left side started leaking coolant.
I was pissed that this simple part not being installed on a GS had cost me 500 bucks for a new radiator. Yeah they are proud of them too. So after replacing the radiator non warranty out of pocket I told my dealer to install the guards. I don't recall any modification needed as the part was ordered as an accessory item for the "Exclusive" model which I had bought and apparently it fit without modification... At least my wrench never mentioned it

post #34 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-Feb-2019, 10:07 AM (672)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stixx View Post
I noticed the 2017 R 1200 GS Rally had radiator guards and after I picked up a tiny rock on the interstate my radiator left side started leaking coolant.
I was pissed that this simple part not being installed on a GS had cost me 500 bucks for a new radiator. Yeah they are proud of them too. So after replacing the radiator non warranty out of pocket I told my dealer to install the guards. I don't recall any modification needed as the part was ordered as an accessory item for the "Exclusive" model which I had bought and apparently it fit without modification... At least my wrench never mentioned it
Yes Stixx the guards you put are custom made for the GS Rallye.....but need modification for the GSA
post #35 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-Feb-2019, 10:29 AM (686)
Lifetime Rider of Bikes

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by virkdoc View Post
Yes Stixx the guards you put are custom made for the GS Rallye.....but need modification for the GSA
thanks apparently I got your situation backwards. cheers
post #36 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-Feb-2019, 06:24 AM (517)

Garage
Inexpensive radiator guard

I used Rapala50 suggestion of Home Depot black gutter guard. It was an easy install and looks good. No change observed in engine temperature. Thanks for the suggestion.

Bill
2014 R1200GSA
post #37 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-May-2019, 06:59 PM (999)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsbecuz View Post
While searching for radiator guards for my 2018 GSA I decided to retrofit the inexpensive ($40) and super light weight OEM radiator guards from the GS Rallye. It was easier than I thought and required no mods to the bike. All you have to do is cut off the top and bottom tabs (I used a hacksaw blade) and trim the inside border of each guard to allow it to sit flush with the radiator shroud. The "All Cuts" photo shows the location of all of the required cuts from the right side guard compared to the uncut left side guard and the "Tab Cuts" photo shows the right side shroud and guard (seen from the back) mated together after the inside border tabs were trimmed (see arrows).
Thank you!!! Mine arrived not 20 minutes ago and I will do this install tomorrow...
post #38 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-May-2019, 01:38 PM (777)

GSA radiator guards

Ok I wanted to add to this discussion...I have a 2107 GSA os I got the guards for a 17 GS...Your GS may need less or additional modifications.

Earlier in this thread it was stated that the four tabs had to come off...In my case thats right. But the side tabs for my 17 I did not have to touch. So right away I could see the shroud openings are not square while the radiators of course are. One side is curved in just about the upper 1/3. All I did was straighten that out. I have a bench grinder I took just a little off then crept up on the rest of it with files until the guard lightly popped into the shroud. Then there are two corners to address so they lay flat. Knock them down and DONE!

Now on my 17, on the right shroud there is a slight opening in the upper left hand corner. On the left shroud its on the upper right hand corner. Its obvious in my second photo. I think this is a manufacturing defect. Some of us may separate that corner, remove the excess and plastic weld it back together. But not me!
These pop right back in with no fastener or fitting drama.
Attached Images

Candubrain likes this.
post #39 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-May-2019, 07:50 AM (534)

In a nut shell

If you have the time the 2019 Grills can be fitted to work for me it's more then just the top and bottom tabs. When test fitting it seems to work when you bolt it all up the one side needs to be trimmed as well.

It doesn't fit flush and the one side took more time and effort then it's worth.

My 2 cents I am ordering the Touratech thanks anyway.

Ian

Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.
post #40 of 42 (permalink) Old 14-May-2019, 01:08 PM (755)

Follow up to above Post

I revised the Mods needed to make the 2019 HP guard fit the early 1200 GSA.

Attaching Photos of just the material removed from 1 Grill. Tool used and fitting the unit.

Is it worth it depends on your free time and how much you like to tinker.
Attached Images

Ian

Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode