GSA Radiator Guards - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-Feb-2018, 04:39 AM (444) Thread Starter

GSA Radiator Guards

While searching for radiator guards for my 2018 GSA I decided to retrofit the inexpensive ($40) and super light weight OEM radiator guards from the GS Rallye. It was easier than I thought and required no mods to the bike. All you have to do is cut off the top and bottom tabs (I used a hacksaw blade) and trim the inside border of each guard to allow it to sit flush with the radiator shroud. The "All Cuts" photo shows the location of all of the required cuts from the right side guard compared to the uncut left side guard and the "Tab Cuts" photo shows the right side shroud and guard (seen from the back) mated together after the inside border tabs were trimmed (see arrows).
Attached Images

Candubrain and JMB711 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-Feb-2018, 07:53 AM (578)

Looks good nicely done!
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-Feb-2018, 02:53 PM (870) Thread Starter

Thanks. It was a $40 gamble; happy to share the results. These guards are molded black plastic (no corrosion, no chipping paint) and practically weightless compared to aftermarket metal guards. Having been stranded by the side of the road not far from Nowhere, Montana with a hole in my radiator and a seized engine, I believe anything you can do to protect the radiators is worth the money and effort. If anyone is interested, the Part#s are: 46638556647 and 46638556648.

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-Feb-2018, 04:18 PM (929)

Great post! I don't think I've seen any comments that the Rallye edition even had radiator guards. I do believe I will be doing this mod when my '18 ships.
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-Feb-2018, 04:26 PM (934) Thread Starter

GSA Radiator Guards

If you go this route you will need to remove the shrouds (three fasteners) to use as templates to mark where to cut the inside borders of the guards so the guard and shroud sit flush together. To complete the installation I found it easiest to first fit the shroud over the radiator by sliding the shroud upper tabs into their slots then slide the guard up and in between the shroud and the radiator until the guard lies flat against the radiator. Finally, push the shroud flat against the guard and secure with the three fasteners starting with the bottom fastener. Note: There will be a small 1/4" gap between the shroud and radiator at the lower inside corner; however, this gap has no impact on the effectiveness of the guards. Good luck!
Attached Images

post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-Feb-2018, 04:40 PM (944)

Stopped at the dealer today and looked at an '18 GSA Rallye. It didn't have these radiator guards. Is it an option?
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-Feb-2018, 03:59 AM (415) Thread Starter

GSA Radiator Guards

I only saw the radiator guards on a new GS Rallye. I have not seen a GSA Rallye. When the BMW parts department looked up the part numbers, they told me these guards were only listed as a GS option, not a GSA option.
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-Feb-2018, 08:46 AM (615)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cygnus View Post
Stopped at the dealer today and looked at an '18 GSA Rallye. It didn't have these radiator guards. Is it an option?
These specific radiator guards the OP is showing do not fit the GSA radiators, unless you alter them to fit.

Mark
USN SCPO (Retired)
2017 GSA
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-Feb-2018, 09:10 AM (632)

Thank you for clarifying this!
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-Feb-2018, 11:45 AM (739)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cygnus View Post
The GSA Rallye does not come with the radiator guards
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode