From North Carolina to Alaska - Page 2 - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-Mar-2018, 01:59 PM (832) Thread Starter

Garage
Thank you so much for the reply guys for the help!

Pterodactyl thanks for all the very helpful info, specially about the speed...ill try to keep it under controll0

Does anybody have good suggestion for a good trip planner app? I have the GarminV but I'm not really in move with their planning software, I'm trying Rever but doesnt seem that good (for example doesnt have mileage breakdown in between intermediate fixes but only start to finish)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-Mar-2018, 02:20 PM (847)

Word of advice..the further north especially in the lesser populated areas.. be aware of animals like bear which have a tendency to cross the road at the most in appropriate time and if it’s a momma bear they usually are accompanied with cubs that have virtually no clue but to follow.. Wolves.. they do have been to know to charge from out of no where as I can personally attest too.. Recommend to travel during day light though in the summer months the sun will remain above the horizon until about midnight..

Gas..the later in the season the chances of finding gas stations with gas will lessen..especially at the smaller locations..appearently their allotments may have been reached and probably won’t replenish until the following spring.

If you plan on using the Alaska Highway ferry system..carry tie down straps they do not provide them..besides they can be used to help someone else’s m/c in need.. I used mine to strap my damaged planner (result from a collision with a wolf) to the bike..

If your not camping plan on making reservations at least a day in advance as smaller in number motels tends to fill quickly while in season .
ArkansasPenguin likes this.

Last edited by Clay; 06-Mar-2018 at 02:55 PM (871).
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 26-Feb-2019, 02:01 PM (834)

Two words

Amongst all of the other good advice, be sure you are prepared to stay "DRY" and "WARM". No matter how hot it is where you are from, and regardless of the time of year in Alaska, you need to be prepared to handle rain and cooler conditions.

Heated gear, especially a jacket, will not only save you a lot of bulky gear but as the temperatures will fluctuate during the day, this allows you to regulate your warmth without having to stop and change layers. And make sure that you have good quality gloves that can handle rain, or look at Aerostich over gloves which work really well and are very versatile.
mikec likes this.

post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 26-Feb-2019, 04:10 PM (924)

Location: Livin' in a Poor Man's Shangri, La. aka New Orleans
@ Pterodactyl
Quote:
Carry a good air pump (not CO2 cartridges)
Is that because if you use all the CO2 cartridges, then you're SOL, or some other reason?
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 26-Feb-2019, 07:22 PM (057)
Survivor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
@ Pterodactyl

Is that because if you use all the CO2 cartridges, then you're SOL, or some other reason?
You may to need to inflate the tire to find the leak. The bead may separate from the wheel; tough to seal with an electric pump, tougher still with a limited number of CO2 cartridges. You may have a tire that still leaks after your best efforts to plug/patch it and requires you to add air every 20 miles as you ride the 100+ miles to where you can get it fixed or replaced. You may have two flats in one afternoon. On the ALCAN, Cassiar, Dalton or Dempster it will a challenge to replace CO2 cartridges.
mikec and Dr. Strangelove like this.
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 26-Feb-2019, 10:22 PM (182)

Moraine Lake Lodge

If you are planning on doing the Banff route - which I would HIGHLY recommend - doing that on the way down - make sure you at least visit Moraine Lake - just south of Lake Louise - one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen. the Jasper to Banff trip is amazing - but then so is the Washington to Anchorage ferry ride. the road in Canada is LONG......longer than it looks and feels in the planning stage. coming back from Banff a nice route is through Glacier Park and "going to the Sun" road - exceptional scenery. Mt. Rainer in WA is a nice diversion if you are spending some time in the WA area. Depending on what time of year you are in the area - Ferry rides (motorcycles always go to the front of the wait line) to the WA peninsula and Hurricane Ridge is a beautiful ride. you can catch a ferry out of Port Angeles to the Islands and head north from there to the ferry to AK. What to pack - less than you think we have pretty good civilization out here most places...you can always buy what you need and will likely toss what you don't. Air pump - plugging system (they are a real bitch to actually use so practice)...cell phone, nav...remember Canada is not comfortable with ANY sort of firearms - I shipped my sidearm to Anchorage and then back to Seattle when we made our "arctic circle" trip. Yellowstone through Beartooth Pass is AMAZING...but Yellowstone itself has become somewhat of a pain in the butt with tour busses ALL over the place. Jackson through the John D Rockefeller road parallels the Grand Tetons - beautiful...WATCH FOR WILDLIFE (and in Yellowstone stupid drivers that will stop in the middle of the road to photograph a bison)...that's about all I have for the "Western" part of the trip...feel free to make contact if you would like to chat about anything in the Pacific Northwest area. If you are REALLY adventurous there is a site called https://ridebdr.com/WABDR the Washington Back Roads -it has GPS files for an almost 100% offroad track from Oregon to Canada through the Cascades....great riding and has skill levels for almost all riders. Best of luck - and hopefully you won't need any.
Attached Images

"There are only two ways to live your life - as if nothing is a miracle or as if everything is a miracle"
Albert Einstein
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-Mar-2019, 07:13 AM (551)

I've been considering a similar trip up to Prudhoe Bay myself, but I really don't want that road snot all over my GSA. I hear it's difficult if not impossible to get off your bike, even with frequent cleaning. I'm considering getting a lesser el cheapo used bike just for this trip. I won't care about road snot and will sell upon my return. Is cleaning really that difficult?
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-Mar-2019, 07:50 AM (576)
Survivor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bravo616 View Post
I've been considering a similar trip up to Prudhoe Bay myself, but I really don't want that road snot all over my GSA. I hear it's difficult if not impossible to get off your bike, even with frequent cleaning. I'm considering getting a lesser el cheapo used bike just for this trip. I won't care about road snot and will sell upon my return. Is cleaning really that difficult?
Iíve been on the haul road at least a dozen times and yes, the calcium chloride infused mud can quickly set to a cement like substance that can stain unprotected metal. You could rent a 250cc - 500cc bike when you get there and it will be all you need on the Dalton. I rode to Deadhorse with Greg Fraser and he was on a 350cc trail bike with soft luggage with a gallon of gas in each side. Another approach is to heavily coat the wheels, engine and lower parts of the bike with ACF-50 protectant. That will make cleaning easier.

Last edited by Pterodactyl; 05-Mar-2019 at 08:27 AM (602).
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-Mar-2019, 03:30 PM (896)

Its what they're made for...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravo616 View Post
It's a bigger problem on the trip rather than after the trip. But honestly, if you are avoiding getting your GS dirty, you might have purchased the wrong bike.
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-Mar-2019, 10:08 AM (672)

Getting the GS dirty is not the issue, it's more can I get it free of the residue generated by the calcium chloride. It seems to be a lot less forgiving than simple mud and dirt. My old GS I probably wouldn't have cared so much. I will take the advice here and simply rent one. Thanks for the input. I wish all who seek this particular adventure safe travels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode