From North Carolina to Alaska - Page 3 - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-Mar-2019, 10:49 AM (700)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard922 View Post
If you are planning on doing the Banff route - which I would HIGHLY recommend - doing that on the way down - make sure you at least visit Moraine Lake - just south of Lake Louise - one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen. the Jasper to Banff trip is amazing - but then so is the Washington to Anchorage ferry ride. the road in Canada is LONG......longer than it looks and feels in the planning stage. coming back from Banff a nice route is through Glacier Park and "going to the Sun" road - exceptional scenery. Mt. Rainer in WA is a nice diversion if you are spending some time in the WA area. Depending on what time of year you are in the area - Ferry rides (motorcycles always go to the front of the wait line) to the WA peninsula and Hurricane Ridge is a beautiful ride. you can catch a ferry out of Port Angeles to the Islands and head north from there to the ferry to AK. What to pack - less than you think we have pretty good civilization out here most places...you can always buy what you need and will likely toss what you don't. Air pump - plugging system (they are a real bitch to actually use so practice)...cell phone, nav...remember Canada is not comfortable with ANY sort of firearms - I shipped my sidearm to Anchorage and then back to Seattle when we made our "arctic circle" trip. Yellowstone through Beartooth Pass is AMAZING...but Yellowstone itself has become somewhat of a pain in the butt with tour busses ALL over the place. Jackson through the John D Rockefeller road parallels the Grand Tetons - beautiful...WATCH FOR WILDLIFE (and in Yellowstone stupid drivers that will stop in the middle of the road to photograph a bison)...that's about all I have for the "Western" part of the trip...feel free to make contact if you would like to chat about anything in the Pacific Northwest area. If you are REALLY adventurous there is a site called https://ridebdr.com/WABDR the Washington Back Roads -it has GPS files for an almost 100% offroad track from Oregon to Canada through the Cascades....great riding and has skill levels for almost all riders. Best of luck - and hopefully you won't need any.
Superb picture... Thanks for sharing. It's rather enticing.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-Mar-2019, 11:06 AM (712)
Survivor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bravo616 View Post
Getting the GS dirty is not the issue, it's more can I get it free of the residue generated by the calcium chloride. It seems to be a lot less forgiving than simple mud and dirt. My old GS I probably wouldn't have cared so much. I will take the advice here and simply rent one. Thanks for the input. I wish all who seek this particular adventure safe travels.
https://www.rentalaska.com

https://www.motoquest.com/motorcycle...cycle-rentals/

https://www.fairbanksriders.com

Kevin
The Outpost, Silver City, Montana
Team Pterodactyl
2018 Ural Gear Up, 2017 R1200GSA
post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-Mar-2019, 11:52 AM (744)

Kevin,

Thanks much for the links!! I hope to be out your way this Summer. I'm making my annual trek to SD, WY, and MT

Ken

post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-Mar-2019, 02:04 PM (836)

Hey - That's ME

If you look at the third photo into the slideshow on the Rentalaska.com link - you will see a two up riding on the road parallel to the Alaska pipeline, I have a rider on the back with a red coat - That is me and my wife... Will have to say two up on some of those sections was troubling...but she stayed on and I stayed upright. Those folks at Rent Alaska were SUPER nice and exceptionally helpful in every respect. I even shipped up my own saddle and they let me swap out my custom seat for theirs for the ride. I would HIGHTLY recommend them, NOT only for bike rental - BUT for advice and chatting about your plans. They have both (husband and wife) done that northern road extensively and are very happy to talk to you about their experience. that was a great trip....

AND after further review - I realized that i have two other pictures from that trip - one of the Denali landscape photos and the young moose - it really was an amazing trip...

"There are only two ways to live your life - as if nothing is a miracle or as if everything is a miracle"
Albert Einstein

Last edited by wizard922; 08-Mar-2019 at 08:12 PM (091).
post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old 24-Jun-2019, 04:51 AM (410)

I lived in Fairbanks for many years and have ridden between the states and AK several times. PM me and Ill provide whatever information/advice that I can.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode