ScanTool MX & Motoscan app - Page 2 - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 13-Oct-2018, 04:51 PM (910)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwheil View Post
I have been reading all info and following Motoscan threads and have not been able to figure out if this setup will work on my 2015 R1200GS Lc. It appears that it mite but want to make sure before laying out the cash.

Thanks
It works pretty well for my 2016GSA, It shouldn't be a problem.

If you are an iphone user, I would recommend picking up an Kyocera Duraforce as an android backup phone for GPS for the bike.
dcysurfer likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 14-Oct-2018, 09:46 AM (615)
Naviator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwheil View Post
I have been reading all info and following Motoscan threads and have not been able to figure out if this setup will work on my 2015 R1200GS Lc. It appears that it mite but want to make sure before laying out the cash.

Thanks

Make sure to get the OBDlink MX model ($80 on Amazon) and the MotoScan Professional ($35 in-app upgrade) and it will work perfectly on your 2015 GS.

2013 R1200GSW
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 14-Oct-2018, 07:30 PM (021)

Garage
Adapter cable for a 2016GSA

Can you provide the link for the adapter cable please?

Thanks. Greg

Greg
2016 R1200GSA
“Red Witch”

post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 15-Oct-2018, 07:52 AM (536)
Naviator

Garage
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 17-Oct-2018, 10:10 AM (632)
Enthusiast

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetSpeed View Post
Make sure to get the OBDlink MX model ($80 on Amazon) and the MotoScan Professional ($35 in-app upgrade) and it will work perfectly on your 2015 GS.
I pinched a few pennies and went with the cheaper OBDLink LX model versus the MX (it having a few less features for Ford/GM AFAIK, BT only) but bought and the Motoscan Ultimate version. Works great on my 17 GS. Did the ABS brake flush with it, service reset, etc.

I give it two thumbs up!
JetSpeed likes this.

17 R1200GS Low
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 17-Oct-2018, 10:51 AM (660)
Naviator

Garage
I could not get an LX version to work on my 2013 it had BT connection issues but a friend with a 2017.5 GS had an MX version and it worked fine on both his and my GS and my LX worked on his GS for this reason I recommend the OBDLink MX.

2013 R1200GSW
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 26-Oct-2018, 09:21 AM (598)
Enthusiast

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetSpeed View Post
I could not get an LX version to work on my 2013 it had BT connection issues but a friend with a 2017.5 GS had an MX version and it worked fine on both his and my GS and my LX worked on his GS for this reason I recommend the OBDLink MX.
My guess would be your LX unit had a bad BT module. In other words, a one-off problem as opposed to a design limitation. I've bought several el cheapo OBD2 readers a couple years ago and none of them would work reliably connecting to other BT devices.

With inexpensive wireless comms chipsets, they may pass initial production test when built but can operate so close to limit that you end up with inconsistent connectivity issues. A BT module in say an iPhone (more expensive) would have a tighter operating tolerance and perform [generally] more reliably. But this is drifting off topic a bit...

17 R1200GS Low
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 28-Oct-2018, 07:22 AM (515)
Naviator

Garage
I would also surmise a problem with the LX now but at he time I had nothing to compare it to other than an MX version worked.

2013 R1200GSW
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-Nov-2018, 11:25 PM (184)

+1 on the awesomeness of the OBDLink MX + MotoScan Ultimate + el cheapo 9” Android tablet.

BTW I have a 2016 R1200GS.

I have question on the Live View features. I have permanently attached the setup and can pickup approx 110 parameters while the bike is on. Not all are relevant while riding but there are a good dozen of these that would be good to get in real time. And when I mean “good to get” I mean it is absolutely useless but oh so cool. Avoid the distraction of the hypnotic movements of the dials, focus on the road but know that the data is there in case of doubt.

Now, for this setup to be efficient, we need to represent the different data using nice dials and colors etc. Similar to what other OBD tools do like Torque which I use for my car and allows the customization of widgets to display the PIDs using graphics. Right now it is just numbers that appear.

So => anyone doing that here?

Does the tool’s developer come here from time to time to pick up feature requests ideas?
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-Nov-2018, 01:21 PM (806)
Enthusiast

Garage
Not sure he hangs out on this forum so why not just send him your requests for enhancements. He responded quite quickly to a email I sent him some months back...

[email protected]

17 R1200GS Low
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode