ScanTool MX & Motoscan app - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 21-Mar-2018, 11:55 AM (704) Thread Starter

ScanTool MX & Motoscan app

I believe there was a brief thread here quite a while back related to the ScanTool diagnostic tool. With full recognition that the Hex GS911 is an awesome piece of technology, I was very reluctant to spend $400 for the very limited amount of use that I would get from it . By chance I stumbled on some info for the ScanTool and decided to give it a try. I ordered the MX model for $79 and an adapter cable to go from the OBDII connector to my bike's 10-pin connector. The ScanTool is a Bluetooth device and comes with it's own app. However the app is for automobiles so I downloaded the Motoscan app which is tailored to BMW bikes. The app worked perfectly with the MX allowing me to select my model of bike and then provided a lot of functionality. I mainly wanted to reset my service reminder, which it did flawlessly. The motoscan app also now includes the ability to activate the bike's abs module the way the GS911 does to facilitate a complete brake system bleed. I did not use that feature yet, but saw it available on the app. I'm not purporting that this combination of device and app will do everything a GS911 will, but it has a lot of functionality for at least the basic maintenance of the bike.

Total Cost:
ScanTool MX $79.95 (Amazon)
Connector cable for 10 pin connector $20 (Amazon) Newer bikes won't need the adaptor cable as they have OBD connectors now, but my 2015 has 10 pin.
Pro verision of the Motoscan app $27.95 (Android Play store) Pro version is required for most functionality including resetting the service reminder.

So, for $130 vs $400, I'm a fan of this setup and wanted to pass the information along.
Southpaw, SoCalGuy and chaostrophy like this.

Last edited by Weir1200GS; 21-Mar-2018 at 11:57 AM (706).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 21-Mar-2018, 12:22 PM (724)
Naviator

Garage
I think that for most owners this inexpensive setup will suffice and do the few things (mainly reset the service reminder and check DTC's) that they will use the most.

When it comes time to replace dead tire pressure sensors (RDC) the GS-911 is very handy and then the difference in cost may make it worth it.

There is also the possibility that as MotoScan becomes more popular that additional features will be added like the ability to reset and relearn some control devices and set/learn RDC codes.
chaostrophy likes this.

2013 R1200GSW
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 21-Mar-2018, 12:56 PM (747) Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetSpeed View Post
I think that for most owners this inexpensive setup will suffice and do the few things (mainly reset the service reminder and check DTC's) that they will use the most.

When it comes time to replace dead tire pressure sensors (RDC) the GS-911 is very handy and then the difference in cost may make it worth it.

There is also the possibility that as MotoScan becomes more popular that additional features will be added like the ability to reset and relearn some control devices and set/learn RDC codes.
Right, agreed, there are some things the GS911 is going to do that the other setup can't. You're also correct that as it gains popularity, more functionality will likely be added. They have already added the brake bleed/ABS function since the original version was introduced. I will have to look later to see if/how it works, but there is a function called "Tire Pressure Control (RDC)" on there as well. Not sure if that will re-flash a dead tire pressure sensor, but I'm assuming that is what the function is for.
JetSpeed and chaostrophy like this.

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 21-Mar-2018, 03:07 PM (838)

I tried the brake bleed on mine the other day it worked great. Hopefully they will continue to develop new features I purchased the full version just incase down the road they add a bunch to it.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 21-Mar-2018, 06:29 PM (979) Thread Starter

As an update, as noted above, the ABS bleed function works fully. Also, the RDC (tire pressure) functions are all present and functional. It works to ID tire pressure sensors, learn the sensors if changed, etc. It also has full functionality for live data streaming of all the available data parameters produced by the bike's computer. Obviously reading and clearing fault codes is a main function. The app interface is simple and intuitive and runs beautifully on my Android phone. I've not tried it running on the iPad/apple yet.
SoCalGuy and chaostrophy like this.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-Apr-2018, 09:20 AM (597)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weir1200GS View Post
As an update, as noted above, the ABS bleed function works fully. Also, the RDC (tire pressure) functions are all present and functional. It works to ID tire pressure sensors, learn the sensors if changed, etc. It also has full functionality for live data streaming of all the available data parameters produced by the bike's computer. Obviously reading and clearing fault codes is a main function. The app interface is simple and intuitive and runs beautifully on my Android phone. I've not tried it running on the iPad/apple yet.
Weir1200GS do you know if Motoscan is available for a windows PC?

Cheers!

Ryan

God, Family, Motorcycles.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-Apr-2018, 03:17 AM (345)
R1200GS driver couple

Hi Weir1200GS,

I do have the GS911, and until now it works great. What I like to know..
Is it possible to change the time / distance that the automatic turning lights go off ?

It seems that the dealer can change that so it is possible, BUT with the GS911 you can't set that parameter,
allthough a lot of GS911 users asked for it until today without any result.

Very often I put the turning lights on, and before I reach the junction the lights are allready off, automaticly.
By the way I have a R1200GS 2010 (K25 0450)
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-Jul-2018, 08:05 AM (545)

MotoScan

I have the MotoScan....but now find that the BMW software is ONLY Android. Emailed Wladimir Gurskij
WGSoft.de
Automotive Diagnostic Software.

MotoScan works with OBDLink MX Bluetooth, but you need a Android device, to use the app.

Anyone know of a PC or Mac software that will work with the 2007 GSA?
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-Jul-2018, 09:57 AM (623)
Naviator

Garage
You can buy an old Android phone or tablet for cheap and just use it for Motoscan.
TLe504 and dcysurfer like this.

2013 R1200GSW

Last edited by JetSpeed; 09-Jul-2018 at 10:02 AM (626).
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 13-Oct-2018, 03:44 PM (864)

Garage
Question

I have been reading all info and following Motoscan threads and have not been able to figure out if this setup will work on my 2015 R1200GS Lc. It appears that it mite but want to make sure before laying out the cash.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode