Hearing Protection - a justification - Page 2 - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 28-Mar-2018, 08:43 PM (071)

Garage
After 24 years of flying in two different Navy helicopters for 4,700 hours the VA Audiologist told me I have hearing loss. I said what?

I use No Noise earplugs that have a transducer in them to let my music or important sounds be heard, cost about $30.00
I also have a set of Hearos with the same type transducer in them. I think they cost about $20.00.
GrayBeard and chaostrophy like this.

Mark
USN SCPO (Retired)
2017 GSA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 28-Mar-2018, 10:38 PM (152)

Garage
Thumbs up

Every now and then, we all need reminding of what we should be doing in all aspect of riding. I've become a bit slack of late and only wear them on fast and long rides. Thank you GrayBeard for swaying me back to using hearing protection.
GrayBeard likes this.

Past: 1955 Norton ES-2, 1972 Norton 750 Commando Long Range Fastback, 1977 Honda 350XLE, 2001 R1150RT (written off), 2005 R1150RT, 2004 R1150GS, 2001 F650GS.
Current: 2013 R1200GS LC
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 29-Mar-2018, 05:28 AM (436)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryno23 View Post
After 24 years of flying in two different Navy helicopters for 4,700 hours the VA Audiologist told me I have hearing loss. I said what?

I use No Noise earplugs that have a transducer in them to let my music or important sounds be heard, cost about $30.00
I also have a set of Hearos with the same type transducer in them. I think they cost about $20.00.
I too have been determined to have “borderline” hearing loss..but the VA has come through by providing hearing aids and get this..blue tooth capable..now if I can find an app to make them tie into my Nav V.

Side note: (political) The former head of the VA in my readings on Shulkin found him somewhat for the veterans in his programs with the exception of his and his wife’s trip expenditures to Europe this past summer.. Also I found it interesting that he recommended the elimination of audiology and opthomology programs throughout the VA.
Ryno23 likes this.

post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 29-Mar-2018, 06:58 PM (999)

Location: Livin' in a Poor Man's Shangri, La. aka New Orleans
Originally Posted by Ayep

Quote:
I use the cheap foam ones, but they do indeed get in the way of intercom communications. At the moment my only solution is to blast the intercom on full volume, but even that doesn't do the trick too well.
right, they are too strong. Try these instead and see if they work...they do for me. And the protection "sounds" to be the same. I've used them for about 7k miles and they seem to work as well as the foam plugs which I used previously in the form of an ear bud. You may want to trim the stalk a bit so they don't press inward. They offer significant protection.
Attached Images

post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 29-Mar-2018, 07:05 PM (003) Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
Originally Posted by Ayep

right, they are too strong. Try these instead and see if they work...they do for me. And the protection "sounds" to be the same. I've used them for about 7k miles and they seem to work as well as the foam plugs which I used previously in the form of an ear bud. You may want to trim the stalk a bit so they don't press inward. They offer significant protection.
Where can we find those?

Current scooters:
'16 R1200GS Triple Black
'16 KTM Super Duke 1290R
'18 Yamaha WR250R
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 30-Mar-2018, 01:49 PM (784)

I think where the other plugs are at CVS Walgreen's etc, but amazon has them too, in addition to the ones, I think, that Ryno23 referenced. I think I got mine at the drugstore, iirc; used them for two trips--a few days in Arkansas in NOvember, and for the whole of the Nova Scotia ride. Satisfied with them, and coming from a perspective of being concerned about hearing loss/protection, and previously using etymotic earbuds modified to accept those foam plugs.
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-Apr-2018, 12:23 PM (724)

I played a lot of metal when I was younger in my band...and have tinitus. However, I always rode with extra-snug hearing protection because it allowed me to concentrate on what I was doing much better.
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-Apr-2018, 10:34 AM (649)

Garage
I rode since I was 17 years old and only when I was doing serious traveling I used ear plugs.
It saves your hearing. For sure.

Now I have a new GSA which has special dash which is a music/phone/gps hub.
Can I still hear these sounds with ear plugs?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

~Happy Joe
LIfe's short, stop writing and start riding ... if everyone thinks like me, there is no need for a forum...
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-Apr-2018, 01:46 PM (782) Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyjoe View Post
I rode since I was 17 years old and only when I was doing serious traveling I used ear plugs.
It saves your hearing. For sure.

Now I have a new GSA which has special dash which is a music/phone/gps hub.
Can I still hear these sounds with ear plugs?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Doesn't that new hotsy snotsy dash have bluetooth on it? Trying to blast music and intercom past ear plugs is a very unsatisfying experience. You spend serious dough on that new GSA. The money you'll spend on great quality hearing protection in the form of custom molded ear phones is relatively little comparatively and cheap at twice the price to save your hearing.

A lot of us are using the Sena BT headset on our helmet and several models of that device have an input jack for your headphones.
happyjoe likes this.

Current scooters:
'16 R1200GS Triple Black
'16 KTM Super Duke 1290R
'18 Yamaha WR250R
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-Apr-2018, 07:56 AM (539)

Well, that's exactly what I am saying...using the "baffle" style plugs protects your hearing and allows music to be heard, at least in my case, and that is what you are seeking, right? The foam plugs did not allow it. The noise reduction with the baffle style is still in the mid 20s vs 32/33 for the foam plugs--and that's the highest extant afaik.

For me it was worth the $10 chance I took on them, ymmv, but for me it was all the difference. (Again, credit to JetSpeed for the suggestion)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode