Hearing Protection - a justification - Page 3 - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-Apr-2018, 07:33 PM (023) Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
Well, that's exactly what I am saying...using the "baffle" style plugs protects your hearing and allows music to be heard, at least in my case, and that is what you are seeking, right? The foam plugs did not allow it. The noise reduction with the baffle style is still in the mid 20s vs 32/33 for the foam plugs--and that's the highest extant afaik.

For me it was worth the $10 chance I took on them, ymmv, but for me it was all the difference. (Again, credit to JetSpeed for the suggestion)
I'm definitely going to be looking for these. For most of my riding around town on errands, I don't wear the Sensaphonics and it would be still nice to know if someone calls me. When I got the 30K Sena, I put the speakers in the one of my helmets for these occasions and these ear plugs may be just what I was looking for to make that work for me.

Current scooters:
'16 R1200GS Triple Black
'16 KTM Super Duke 1290R
'18 Yamaha WR250R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-Sep-2019, 06:42 PM (988)

I think this should be pinned. This is a very important post and more riders should be able to read this.

I use custom filtered earplugs like THIS from Big Ear but it's just because I prefer these kind of earplugs. All I can say to other riders is that it doesn't really matter if what you're using is cheap or expensive...just take care of your ears. Wear whatever works for you.

Life is short...so make it worth your while.
post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-Sep-2019, 10:24 AM (642)

Earplugs

I have used earplugs since 1992 when I bought an R100R. I even use them when cutting grass and other high decibel activities.
I have used the custom molded plugs for years and have been happy with them. Then a few years ago, I think it was one of
the "new products" in MCN magazine, I saw NoNoise earplugs. They are the the "baffle style" but add a ceramic cylinder in
the center that has a hole drilled in it's center. That hole is sized to allow specific wavelengths through and not others.
It allows me to better things like speech while filtering out nasty noise like the wind. Been very happy with them. Can't remember
who I got them from.Twisted Throttle or one of the other online retailers.

Jim

post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 13-Sep-2019, 05:09 PM (923)

Can't say enough good about S-Plugs. $129.95 + tax and shipping.
https://www.plugup.com/best_and_most...22-3.5-4.5.htm
Been using them for 6 years on both the Goldwing and the GS. I have 2 Sena 20s Bluetooth Intercom units and there is a 3mm jack in the unit. It makes it super-easy to use S-Plugs. I would not go more than an hour or two without them. When my ears get tired of having them in, I switch to 3M foam earplugs.
https://www.amazon.com/3M-Individual...%2C159&sr=8-14
There is a difference in cheap foam earplugs, I have found.

BTW, I can hear Intercom and music reasonably well with the Sena helmet speakers wearing foam earplugs. I have a Shoei Neotec flip-face helmet that fits well but I am always surprised at how loud it is without hearing protection, and it's one of the better-rated helmets for sound attenuation!

Thanks to the OP for such an important message!

David

Last edited by DaveFromDenver; 13-Sep-2019 at 05:15 PM (927).
post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old 14-Sep-2019, 06:53 AM (495)

Location: Livin' in a Poor Man's Shangri, La. aka New Orleans
just an addendum to my previous post from last year.

I am now using the 33db foam plugs. Sena and Garmin did an update a few months ago, and now I can hear the bluetooth music, directions, etc through the foam plugs, usually just fine, so that is what I now use. For me they are more comfortable than the baffles. No need to spend more than a few dollars on this, I think, for good protection.
Anything is better than nothing
post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old 14-Sep-2019, 03:56 PM (872)
2019 R1250 GSA

Garage
I use ear plugs from EarPeace. For motorsports, you can install 3 different attenuation filters to suit your needs.

https://www.earpeace.com/
DaveFromDenver likes this.

Current Stable:
1914 Flying Merkel
1946 Indian Chief
2003 Harley Davidson Dyna Glide
2019 R1250 GSA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode