Thinking about getting a GSA, few questions - Page 2 - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 15-Apr-2018, 06:30 PM (979)

mosko moto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyjelly View Post
I have the 18 GSA with Nav 6. Reason why I got the Nav 6 was I did not want an empty cradle above the TFT and since I have already spent on the bike an additional couple of hundred would make sense for a complete bike. Now I have a choice of using the navigation on either the TFT or Nav 6. I'm now looking at soft luggage option and considering BMW's Atacama option or Wolfman. The Atacama has a convenient on and off mount cause it comes with mounting plates that will work on the OEM racks but costs a fair bit more than the Wolfman.
Check out the Mosko Moto luggage. Cheaper than the BMW. The BMW was modeled after Mosko Moto.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 16-Apr-2018, 04:34 AM (398) Thread Starter

Took it for a shorter test ride today during lunch break, good thing the BMW dealer is 15mins away from work Man the GSA is a tall bike! I am 6ft, and I couldn't flat foot the bike, my toes were just touching. The sales guy said I could try a shorter seat or a combination of shorter seat + shorter suspension. How do you guys tackle it's height? Are you all 6.5 ft??

Any drawback on going for a shorter suspension?

@Clay, thanks, good advice, I'll make a backup of my Zumo before I proceed.

@Kyjelly, am hoping my Zumo 660 will fit on that cradle, was quite an expensive bit of GPS unit when I bought it. The Navigator 6 is $1000+ here. :\ I looked at the soft luggage systems, the big top bag did look good. Thanks, I'll look up the other brands.

@mikec, thanks, I checked with the dealer, its for US market and only for the non-TFT screen versions (2017).
@triman11427, thanks for the details and confirming on the 665. That looks like a nice sturdy setup. I will see if I can source those brands here in Australia and their prices.
@bjbabove45th, thanks, quick search couldn't find anything here in AU. Let me search more. At least now I have a good bunch of brands I can search and get details of

This is what I had on my ZRX; a ventura rack which I could put a short or a longer sissy/rack, where the main mounting system was attached to the bike. Then this Rjay's waterproof bag which was 47l collapsed and 82l expanded. If I can get something like this on the GSA, I'll be happy
Attached Images

post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 16-Apr-2018, 01:08 PM (755)

I'm an inch shorter than you and have been fine on the standard height. I am used to just having a foot down when stationary. Took a few rides to get the hang of the height especially coming from a sportsbike.

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 16-Apr-2018, 03:31 PM (854)

I am 5ft 7 in with a 30 inch inseam and ride a GSA with low suspension with no problem even with the standard seat in the high position. With the seat in low both feet down no problem in high just use one foot.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 17-Apr-2018, 07:51 AM (535) Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies
Got the longer test ride planned for tomorrow, I will try out the different combinations. At least its good to know I won't sacrifice anything if I go for the lowered option. I think I am about 30-31 inch inseam. Having flat foot to the ground makes it easier to move the bike around when stopped IMHO or if stopping at uneven surface/slippery traffic lights. If need be, might go for the lowered suspension with standard seat.
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 17-Apr-2018, 09:42 AM (612)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowarrior View Post
Thanks for the replies
Got the longer test ride planned for tomorrow, I will try out the different combinations. At least its good to know I won't sacrifice anything if I go for the lowered option. I think I am about 30-31 inch inseam. Having flat foot to the ground makes it easier to move the bike around when stopped IMHO or if stopping at uneven surface/slippery traffic lights. If need be, might go for the lowered suspension with standard seat.
I just picked up a 2015 GSA and had many of the same concerns as you. I'm 5'9" and with a regular GSA but with the seat in the low position I'm confidently on the balls of my feet. Granted everyone's leg length is different but it's more intimidating at first but I've gotten used to it. Even in my work dress shoes I can back the bike out of the garage and get going fairly easy.

2015 BMW GSA
2013 Triumph Thruxton
2000 MV Agusta F4
2009 Vespa 150S
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 18-Apr-2018, 04:40 AM (403)

Garage
Check the suspension settings. The preload raises the rear to compensate for additional rider and luggage. Iím 5í10 32Ē inseam and ride with 1 helmet ( single passenger). This keeps the bike a bit lower. At stops I only keep 1 foot on the ground and lean the bike onto that side. Much more stable than 2 feet down on the balls of your feet.
Boxerbreath likes this.
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 18-Apr-2018, 05:48 PM (950)
KX/CR 500 rider

I have a 2011 GSA. 6', 34" inseam, no problem touching the ground. The 2011 has more gas capacity than the newer models, 8.7 gallons, 33 liters. Not happy with the stock seat. Not very comfortable.

kx500 is Danger4u2
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 19-Apr-2018, 08:18 AM (554) Thread Starter

So I took it out for a spin yesterday, now am very confused. They didn't have the Adventure model available for Demo so got me a GS Rallye with short seat.
For one, stupid Harley has confused my brain, and I kept trying to find a foot rest/peg at the front of the bike after every stop This is on me, and got to fix it so my brain tunes back to normal motorbikes.

However, what's confused me is how I felt. When I am riding it, its nice and easy to move around and smooth power delivery. I can see why a lot of folks love this bike. However, its when am not moving is the problem. Even though its the same wet weight as my Harley, picking it up even from a side stand when parked around the gutter (slope edge) was a pain. I stopped at a car park and tried moving it around, reversing it etc like I would normally would have to do in the garage or if I have to reverse it out. And it was heavy as hell to move around. This is bothering me.

They also gave me a short seat to use so I was feeling bit cramped between the seat and the foot levers.

My Supertech R didn't fit between the lever and footpeg either, but that can be adjusted.

I have asked them to get me another test ride
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 21-Apr-2018, 09:29 PM (103) Thread Starter

Oh well, deposit paid for a low suspension Tour edition with all options. Didn't get the alarm, and GPS though. The SOS switch isn't available in Australia. Its now on the ship from Berlin.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode