2008 BMW R 1200 GS Problems ? - Page 2 - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 23-Apr-2018, 06:20 AM (472) Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by motocoder View Post
I have a 2009 R1200GS, which is the exact same bike just purchased a year later. Other than the well known fuel strip problem, I've had no issues with the bike. Note that I use it primarily for street riding - have taken it on a few forest roads, but nothing that would be considered "off road".

The fuel strip is a sensor that BMW uses to measure fuel levels. Mine worked great for several years before failing. Since it failed, BMW has been unable to install one that worked properly. Currently it tells me I am out of fuel when I still have 2/3 of a tank left...
Thank you very much MotoCoder, and also to the rest of you who offered helpful info answers to my question.
This is what I'm looking for. Pattern failures. The bike I'm considering is here in California, a 08' and has only 16K on it. The original owner has had 1 abs modulator fail and it needs another now. Dealer is quoting $2K for the part. I also saw a video on UTube that told of a buyer that had a fork break. But that failure maybe a seldom heard.

And as I stated, I'm new to this forum. I'm having quite a bit of problem figuring out had to get around and use this site. I've found that many forum sites like this one can be difficult for myself to use.

Thank you again to all who have offered helpful information.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 23-Apr-2018, 06:49 AM (492)

You may be able to get a rebuilt abs modulator. Worth checking out.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 23-Apr-2018, 10:26 AM (643)
GS (and DR)

'08 ABS units can often be repaired. Cost is $250 -- see this link ==> https://modulemaster.com/rebuilds/sh.../abs-ate-abs4/

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 30-Jun-2019, 02:54 PM (829)

Question 2008 1200 GS high mileage.

Hi,

Could you please give me advice on this bike? I am in Houston and looking for a BMW for going to work 2 or 3 days a week (100 miles per day)

I am not sure if it will need any big maintenance or engine repair due to mileage. From the exterior, the bike looks fine and taken care for. Thank you!

$ 6,000 - OBO
2008 BMW R1200 GS
VIN: WB10313068ZU44433
72,635 miles
orange-yellow gold / black / gray
Vario Cases
2 sets of keys
ABS / ESA System / Traction Control / RDC Tire Pressure Monitoring / Sport and Comfort suspensions
RAM Phone Mount
TouraTech Seat
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-Jul-2019, 11:13 AM (676)
Riding a 2009 R1200gs

Garage
I'm in my 5th year of ownership of a 2009 R1200gs. Got it used at 44000 Km (27300 Miles) passed the 10200 Km (63400 Miles) a few weeks ago.

My GS sees a lot of action (off-road, GS Challenge, travelling 2up with full camping gear) and, I never had any problem, not even the fuel strip...

But, I got my GS from a good dealer who traded the bike from a regular customer (the gave me all it's service report and his phone number so I can talk to him). I knew how it was stored/used/maintained and I was sure that bike had a good start in life.

On the other hand, marcimark is right, we (and you) need to know more about the bike you are interested into:
-How many owners before you (BMW owner tends to keep their bikes longer than average, if a bike changed hand often, there might be a reason).
-Can the dealer track some maintenance with the VIN, were the recalls performed
-Any pending recalls
-Any signs that the bike was worked on by a 'less then careful person' (bolts that are not Torx or Allen, wiring repaired with cheap sticky and unraveling electrical tape, fuses over the recommended value, stripped fastener head, unassorted bolts, etc.)

Do your homework, get back to us with your findings and we'll be able to give you better answers.

Proud owner of a 2009 R1200GS....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode