2008 BMW R 1200 GS Problems ? - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 16-Apr-2018, 06:59 AM (499) Thread Starter

2008 BMW R 1200 GS Problems ?

Hello to all. I'm new to this forum.
I'm considering buying a 2008 BMW R 1200 GS which has very low miles, but since I've never own one of these motocycles before, I'm not sure what to expect as far as problems in the near and distance future.

Can anybody tell me what I may or may not encounter during the ownership of this vehicle ?

Thank you all in advance, I look forward to learning about this community.

BMW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 16-Apr-2018, 08:51 AM (577)
'05 R 1200 Gs

No need to go in all negative. They are fine bikes built by a fine company.
Dejan Smaic likes this.

'05 1200 GS
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 16-Apr-2018, 09:02 AM (584)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradMotorWheels View Post
I'm not sure what to expect as far as problems in the near and distance future.
BMW not sure I am qualified to tell you what to expect as far as problems go. I am only on week 3 of ownership of a 2005 1200gs. What I can tell you is maintenance on these bikes is relatively easy and pain free even for us people who have never owned BMW before. I just finished up a complete service on my bike this weekend. There are many many resources online for parts (new and used) and how to's. So far GS ownership has been a complete joy!

Cheers!

Ryan

God, Family, Motorcycles.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 16-Apr-2018, 07:30 PM (021)
Senile Member on 2006 GS

Garage
Quote:
I'm considering buying a 2008 BMW R 1200 GS which has very low miles, but since I've never own one of these motocycles before, I'm not sure what to expect as far as problems in the near and distance future.

Can anybody tell me what I may or may not encounter during the ownership of this vehicle ?

Thank you all in advance, I look forward to learning about this community.

BMW
Sure. Pretty much any part on the bike could fail, and has at least once, and the person for whom it broke posted about it somewhere on the internet. That's the nature of mechanical things. On the other hand, the vast majority of these bikes run a long time and long distance without anything breaking. BMW has a well-deserved reputation for longevity and reliability.

A couple years ago, after buying an '06 with 50,000 miles, I stumbled upon an online registry in which people had entered, and then occasionally updated, information on a few hundred GSs. Like many things on the web, the registry was more or less abandoned in place a few years after being started, and is now rarely updated. But I did harvest data on about 100 bikes with non-trivial mileage in the 2005-2009 period. Never got around to posting the results of my analysis, but the numbers did reassure me that I would probably ride the bike for many years without encountering a major problem. An '08 ought to be even better, as most of the problems I found in the registry were on '05-06 models (the R1200GS had a lot of new tech compared to the R1150GS, and there were some teething problems).

If you are in the USA, you can access the NHTSA database with the bike's VIN to verify that all recall work has been done, particularly the fuel pump update and rear wheel flange replacement.

Another point I should mention is that in my view the '08-09 should be the easiest to maintain. It's old enough to still have screw-and-locknut valve adjusters (vs. replaceable shims on the later models), but new enough to have conventional (non-servo) ABS and a final drive with a drain plug. Not a huge deal (not enough to make me trade in my '06), but rather nice if you're doing your own maintenance.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 17-Apr-2018, 04:04 AM (378)

I love these posts...

The OP has no desire to research the forum or the Internet, so the first post is just to make his life very easy.
Yet, this forum is full of information and the Internet full of horror stories

It is a Bavarian Money Waster and things will break eventually. The bike is nearly 10 years old!
Where is the bike located, where was it parked, how many previous owners, ridden in Winter, trashed off road and so on and on...

Sorry Buddy, but you need to give a little more input to get some output. The weather in the Northern Hemisphere is getting better so people spend less time online.
chaostrophy likes this.

R1200GS Rallye - All Options - Nav VI - MaMo Light bars with LED - MaMo X-Covers - HexezCan - Stebel Horn
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 19-Apr-2018, 08:19 AM (555)

Quote:
I have a 2009 R1200GS, which is the exact same bike just purchased a year later. Other than the well known fuel strip problem, I've had no issues with the bike. Note that I use it primarily for street riding - have taken it on a few forest roads, but nothing that would be considered "off road".

The fuel strip is a sensor that BMW uses to measure fuel levels. Mine worked great for several years before failing. Since it failed, BMW has been unable to install one that worked properly. Currently it tells me I am out of fuel when I still have 2/3 of a tank left...
Southpaw and chaostrophy like this.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 20-Apr-2018, 07:10 AM (507) Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
No need to go in all negative. They are fine bikes built by a fine company.
No need to assume incorrectly. They may be fine but their not perfect. No motor vehicle is.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 20-Apr-2018, 07:27 AM (519)
I'd rather be flying

Out of the 15 to 20 bikes that I've owned, I had my 2005 GS the longest. It was the best bike I've owned. Maintenance was super easy. The problems that I had with the bike were all related to plastic parts weathering and wearing away over time. By parts, I mean part. The only problem that I had with the bike was the plastic quick-disconnects on the gas tank. There were other non-essential plastic parts that broke but the fuel connection was the only one that kept my bike from running until replacement parts arrived. I bought it in 2007 and I sold it at the end of 2017 after I got a 2014 GS.
Southpaw likes this.

'97 R1100R
'02 K1200RS
'04 R1150R
'04 K1200GT
'05 R1200GS
'08 R1200RT
'14 R1200GS
'16 R1200RS
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 20-Apr-2018, 08:36 AM (566)

This guy replaced his quick disconnects with brass ones http://www.gunsmoke.com/motorcycling...cts/index.html

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 20-Apr-2018, 12:27 PM (727)
'05 R 1200 Gs

Quote:
No need to assume incorrectly. They may be fine but their not perfect. No motor vehicle is.
No they're not. I did not imply they were. Ignore my thought.

'05 1200 GS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode