GS Highway Performance - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 23-Apr-2018, 12:46 AM (240) Thread Starter
BMW

GS Highway Performance

Yesterday I went for a 500 mile (all highway) trip with 2017. GS (all factory items on it). With 3000 km on it.
Highway speed limit was 130 km/h. But up to 155 km/h nobody stops you.
Observations:

Outside temp: 22-27 deg C.
Vibrations- moderate. Optimal speed with reasonable amount of handlebar vibrations: 138-140 km/h just below or at 5000 rpm in 6th.
Wind in uppermost windshield position : significant.
Noise from wind: high (I have some lousy open face helmet). Full face seems to be a must on highway.
Side wind sensitivity, bike stability: excellent.
Overtaking in 6th: excellet.
Engine temp: glued to 83 deg C.
Seat comfort: Low to Medium.
Fuel tank capacity: Low. Had to stop 4 times.

Conclusion: Windshield and seat have to go.

Does this dovetail?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 23-Apr-2018, 01:01 AM (250)

Garage
I'm quite agreeable with all but the seat and windshield. I am perhaps shorter than you and the wind over the screen never bothers me. The seat serves me well but I rarely ride 500 miles in a day. For those days, the Airhawk does the job.
Due to the number of things that can cause harmonic interference, there's always variation in vibrations from one bike to another. I rode a 2017 model last year and it had more vibration than my 2013.

Past: 1955 Norton ES-2, 1972 Norton 750 Commando Long Range Fastback, 1977 Honda 350XLE, 2001 R1150RT (written off), 2005 R1150RT, 2004 R1150GS, 2001 F650GS.
Current: 2013 R1200GS LC
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 23-Apr-2018, 05:25 AM (434)
'05 R 1200 Gs

I am metrically incompetent. Need translation.
802mike and VTBMWGS like this.

'05 1200 GS

post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 23-Apr-2018, 05:47 AM (449)

Location: Washington, Idaho, Utah, Maryland, Nevada, Mississippi, Germany, Alaska, Texas, Italy...
Garage
I think the Wunderlich VarioERGO screen deflector may solve the wind issues (It did for me, 6'3" or 190.5cm).

The stock seat is awful. My Saddlemen seat is an improvement, but my Russell Day-Long is heavenly. Rode the bike ('16 GS Adv) 9 hours each on 2 days last week, never once saddle sore. Amazingly comfortable.

I get much better gas mileage, lower blood pressure and higher enjoyment at the lower speeds of roads that pass through the countryside and small villages (Stayed off of the Autostrada the first day), but the bike sure gobbled up more miles the second day!

Didn't have to stop for gas as much you describe due to larger tank, and vibration wasn't as you described, perhaps due to additional weight or aftermarket items mitigating it? Rox risers and Acerbis Hand guards is all I have on the bars, but who knows. Not buzzy at all.

Good luck sorting yours out, that's what worked for me!

“There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.” -- Ernest Hemingway
post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 23-Apr-2018, 05:54 AM (454)

I did 400 miles on Friday and then 400 back home on Sunday, all slab, approx. 7 hours coming home 8 hours going with "rush hour" traffic. I'm on a 2016 GSW with Mitas E-07+ tires, stock windshield and stock seat. Speeds at posted +10mph (usually 70's and 80's). It took 2&1/2 tanks of gas each way, 1 stop for gas, 1 stop for gas/food and other necessities. Seat was good for me, could be a little more comfy. Wind and vibrations better than acceptable. 3 hours is about my limit without stopping for a few minutes to at least exercise my legs.
GrayBeard likes this.

Cliff
Lincoln County, NC, USA
post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 23-Apr-2018, 08:11 AM (549)

post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 23-Apr-2018, 08:49 AM (576)

Garage
To compare notes... I did a 135mile(217km) ride yesterday, non-stop. Bike has ~400 miles total on it. It's a baby!

Outside temp: 40-57 deg F (4-11 deg C)
Vibrations: Mild. This thing just doesn't vibrate at anything other than the ~1200rpm idle speed.
Optimal speed with reasonable amount of handlebar vibrations: Again, I just don't get vibes through the bars. I'm simply amazed.
Wind in uppermost windshield position: Very significant wind at the top of my helmet. I'm 5' 9" (1.5m), stock seat in the low position.
Noise from wind: Very high. Again, the wind hits my helmet right at the top of my visor and forces are through the seal!
Side wind sensitivity, bike stability: Excellent.
Overtaking in 6th: Excellent.
Engine temp: I ran a hair cooler at 178 deg F (81 deg C) probably due to the outside air temp.
Seat comfort: Not the best I've had but I'm ordering a lowered aftermarket seat anyway.
Fuel tank capacity: I'm averaging 45.09mpg right now. That's 5.2L/100Km for our metric pals.

My three complaints are the navigation Wonderwheel, side stand, & the front tire howl. First, the Wonderwheel works great but I have a hard time finding the turn signal/horn because the reach is farther away. Second, the stock Anakee 3's howl like a wolf 24/7 but especially loud around 50mph. Do other have that issue? And finally, the side stand doesnt go forward enough IMO. I put the bike in gear, roll it forward until it stops, then put the side stand down. I fear it'll roll forward on collapse the stand on my slight inclined driveway.

Cheers!

Current:
'17 BMW R1200GS Rallye
'15 KTM Duke 390

Previous:
'03 Kawasaki Z1000
'95 Honda VFR
post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 23-Apr-2018, 09:04 AM (586)

Garage
IMHO, the GS seat is not a touring seat. It was gone after 50 miles on my GS. Went with a Sargent and no problems afterwards. I liked the GS windscreen for summer rides. Once winter rolled around I switched to a GSA screen which is a little wider and taller.

Mark
USN SCPO (Retired)
2017 GSA
post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 23-Apr-2018, 10:21 AM (640)

I finished a 600 mile loop down into Mexico a few days ago, my stats would be close to your ride. I always ride with the panniers so wind drag drops my fuel mileage when traveling 130 km/h or faster. I also get a front steering wobble at approximately 155 km/h, doesn't matter what tires I have mounted, I think the bike needs an aftermarket damper. I have a Puig tall screen but it needs supports that I did not purchase. The wind pushes the screen down so it is only moderately effective. Engine temp typically stays near 83 C when flying straight and level. Now go get yourself a proper helmet and ear plugs. I hope to see you next month when I pass through on my way south to Turkey.
BMW likes this.

'13 BMW K1600GT
'08 Suzuki DR650
post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old 23-Apr-2018, 10:45 AM (656)

Garage
The RT's have better gearing for highway cruising and better wind protection. I'd bet the Tupperware masks the noise. My 08 RT was whisper quite. GS makes weird noises at times.

I kinda stick to the speed limit, it's comfortable and gets kinda noisy at 75 mph. I'll probably need to start wearing earplugs. The wind and tire noise (Anakee 3's) are the contributing factors. Engine kinda sounds like shaking bb's in a tin cup at 75. The engine noise has a purring sewing machine sound under 65.

The stock seat seems to get harder the further you go. My 53 year old bladder prevents more than 2 hours so I've never considered replacing it. I carry an air hawk seat due to be "too cheap" to fork over more money. Been too focused on lights, brakes, guards at this point. I got the Puig Windscreen and later added their windscreen support bracket. It certainly stiffness up the screen at speed.

The Puig hand guard deflectors work great (any brand would be a good). I ride well below the threshold of your typical HD rider, down to 37 degrees. I don't see them until it hits 60. Which is odd because I had an Ultra and I had no problem riding in cold weather.

My '17 GS doesn't vibrate at all (so says the wife). She'd prolly notice that more than me. Prolly why she prefers the G650GS. When and if I lose my teeth I'd need super polygrip on that bike. Fun to ride but that's a real ass numbing bike.

--
2017 R1200GS
1992 K75S
2013 G650GS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode