Final drive problems anyone? - Page 2 - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-Mar-2012, 01:49 PM (826)
GS (and DR)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayGS View Post
My 2008 GS had a rear diff main bearing failure at 38,000km
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5HourButt View Post
I have a 2005 R1200GS and my suggestion is be sure to have the final drive lubricant changed periodically.
I picked these two posts to point out that the big "main" bearing on big hole final drives such as we have on our R12GS is on the dry side of an oil seal. Changing gear oil is important for many reasons, but protecting the big bearing isn't one of them.
JetSpeed likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 25-Mar-2012, 07:55 PM (038)

Quote:
Originally Posted by holeshot View Post
After only 1600 miles on my new GS the final drive has to be replaced. It's covered under warranty but I was wondering if anyone else has had issues with theirs? I've owned many BMWs over the last 30 years and never had this problem. Worst of all the part has to come from Germany so I have contort my 55 year old 250 pound body on to my sons Ninja for the next 2-3 weeks
my final drive is on its way out also 1600 miles did yours start clunking like a bad u joint noise? mine seems to be getting worse , its goin in tomorrow
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 27-Mar-2012, 06:40 AM (486) Thread Starter

Mine was discovered when I got a flat rear tire. My mechanic noticed that the rear tire was too lose and told me the phalange that holds rim to the final drive was bad. Since it's all one unit I would need a new final drive.

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 27-Mar-2012, 01:25 PM (767)
GS (and DR)

Partially incorrect... The flange is an interference fit onto the splines of the axle. If the flange is bad or cracked it can be replaced. Been there, done that.

However, if the flange is loose on the splines a new flange will not be any better. The fix is a new gear set. Installing a new gear set is beyond the ability of most dealers and if not the labor to do so makes it a very expensive task... so expensive that an entirely new FD is cheaper.

Loose flanges were an issue with a very small number of bikes built in 2004. It hasn't been a commonly reported problem since then. FD issues tend to be:

1) leaky seal
2) cracked flange (not really an FD issue, but often reported that way)
3) pinion bearing
4) main bearing

BMW changed the housing and pinion bearing in '06 or '07. The housing has been changed several times since the bike was introduced.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 16-May-2016, 02:33 PM (814)

I must be the once per year owner...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDrider View Post
A tech at a large metro dealership said he sees about 1 premature drive failure per year across the whole BMW line. He said a leaky seal is more common but that rarely results in failure unless ignored.
Dropped the 2009 GSR1200a off at BMW Salt Lake city for rear brake pads and a oil change , later that afternoon I received a phone call informing me the bike was done but they found a bad Final Drive , and it needed to be replaced at $ 2400.00 plus labor, I only have 38K
on the bike, and have everything done through BMW authorized facilities, Now this trip will cost me 4K , when done , Now I'm being told this is a common problem, that they tried to fix from the factory level but still cant get it right , kinda like the fuel gauge perhaps third times the charm...

You spend several thousand dollars to get the best on the road. but when issues like this occur it makes you consider your choices , I
don't think you would see the issues on the Yamaha or the New Honda but we will see.....
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 16-May-2016, 06:30 PM (979)

Sorry to hear you have a FD failure. Knock on wood, this is my 5th BMW and have had a variety of flavors, RT, LT, 1200GT, '07 GS, 1600GT and GSW. I'm not sure how many miles I have ridden these bikes but it is in the hundreds of thousands of miles and never had a FD fail on me. That being said I have had switches, ABS module, water pumps, coils and some other issues but I keep buying these bikes since I have found nothing better that delivers what I want in a motorcycle. I hope you get many more years of use and enjoyment out of your GS.

'13 BMW K1600GT
'08 Suzuki DR650
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 17-May-2016, 05:08 AM (422)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyB View Post
Dropped the 2009 GSR1200a off at BMW Salt Lake city for rear brake pads and a oil change , later that afternoon I received a phone call informing me the bike was done but they found a bad Final Drive , and it needed to be replaced at $ 2400.00 plus labor, I only have 38K
on the bike, and have everything done through BMW authorized facilities, Now this trip will cost me 4K , when done , Now I'm being told this is a common problem, that they tried to fix from the factory level but still cant get it right , kinda like the fuel gauge perhaps third times the charm...

You spend several thousand dollars to get the best on the road. but when issues like this occur it makes you consider your choices , I
don't think you would see the issues on the Yamaha or the New Honda but we will see.....
I assume you confirmed what they told you by inspecting the bike?

Marty Hill
Ride till you can't

1200GS/black
700GS/white
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 16-Mar-2017, 06:40 PM (986)

Hi! does anyone encounters stalling on your GS1200? I have a 2008 GSA1200, It worries me alot when in twisty roads and the engine might fail, It could cause an accident... also my gas gauge is erratic, so Im depending on my estimate mileage. thanks...
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 17-Mar-2017, 01:54 PM (787)
The ride of Life

Garage
Unexciting post.

The post is always more fun when something has gone wrong.

BUT,

In my case nothing has. Since 1988 I have had: K100RT, R-1000GS Airhead, F-650, R-75/6, R-1100, R-1150, R-1200 and now R-1200GSLC.

Other than normal wear and tear and things wearing out, in better then 400,000 miles of riding nothing has gone wrong.
I am a fan of BMW.

I told you this wouldn't be exciting.

- John

The Ride of Life.
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 17-Mar-2017, 02:20 PM (806)
Naviator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyB View Post

One of the worst BMW Motorcycle dealers (service dept wise) in the country from my experience, certainly the worst I've ever dealt with.
RBen likes this.

2013 R1200GSW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in