Final drive problems anyone? - Page 3 - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-Apr-2018, 07:39 PM (027)

2015 r1200gs lc k50

Greetings from Australia! I wanted to contribute to the discussion on Final Drive issues. I'm onto my 3rd GS. The 1st 96 model blew a final drive seal at 130,000 kms (74,500 miles). The 2015 model has just suffered catastrophic failure at 68,000 kms (42,250 miles). I'm located on North Coast New South Wales and was riding with a mate on Easter Sunday. Luckily we have a great retrieval service "Manbulance", and Chris was there in 20 minutes to pick me and the bike up and deliver us home 20 kms away for $75.00!!! Best service ever!!!

I read a similar situation from the owner of a liquid cooled model in Brazil; same symptoms and same result. The dealer offered him a good deal on a trade in which he followed through with, so needless to say I'm pretty nervous about the results from the workshop (Ballina Motorcycles) once they pull it down to make assessment. Obviously it's out of warranty, but in my books it's an early failure and I hope that BMW have my back on this considering I've been an outstanding client!

I'll post results as they come to hand for anyone that's interested.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 23 (permalink) Old 15-May-2019, 05:27 AM (436)

Greetings from Singapore! My 2014 1200GS LC experienced the dreaded catastrophic final drive failure at 73,000km (45,000mi) earlier this month! Needless to say, my confidence on the reliability of the machine had just dropped like a steel ball released from a 10-storey building. Wham bam!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #23 of 23 (permalink) Old 15-May-2019, 02:12 PM (800)

My first GS, a 2002 1150 needed a final drive rebuild at just over 100,000kms. I realised there was a problem when the drive began to leak oil. The service manager at Auto Classic in Perth, a BMW master tech, rebuilt it for me on a Saturday morning and I did the remove/replace so a relatively cheap repair. My next BMW, a new 2006 GSA, had the drive fail in under 10,000kms. Apparently a number of early 1200 GS's and GSA's experienced the same issue. This time around I found it by giving the rear wheel a bit of a shake and there was noticeable side to side movement and a slight knock. Drive was replaced under warranty.
My 2011 GSA goes to its new owner today and 56,000kms, no issues and hopefully the 2018 GSA Rallye which I now own will be equally as reliable. Only time will tell.
My experience with BMW dealerships has generally been positive as long as the bike has a decent OEM service history and hasn't been flogged within an inch of its life. Just my two bobs worth.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode