BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums

BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums (https://www.r1200gs.info/forum/)
-   General chatter (https://www.r1200gs.info/forum/2-general-chatter/)
-   -   Final drive problems anyone? (https://www.r1200gs.info/forum/2-general-chatter/4540-final-drive-problems-anyone.html)

holeshot 24-Jan-2012 08:15 AM (593)

Final drive problems anyone?

After only 1600 miles on my new GS the final drive has to be replaced. It's covered under warranty but I was wondering if anyone else has had issues with theirs? I've owned many BMWs over the last 30 years and never had this problem. Worst of all the part has to come from Germany so I have contort my 55 year old 250 pound body on to my sons Ninja for the next 2-3 weeks:(

marty hill 24-Jan-2012 05:13 PM (967)

This should be interesting.:)

marc 24-Jan-2012 08:00 PM (083)

Heh... yep.

Holeshot, if you do a google search on BMW FD failure you'll get about a million hits. Use "final drive" instead of FD and you'll get more. A quick perusal will lead you to believe that all BMW motorcycles made in the last 20 years will have an FD failure, probably sooner rather than later.

If you actually spend time digging you might find that the previous design as found on the oilheads are more likely to have an issue, but hexhead FDs break, too. You also may find that BMW has made at least 3 different changes to the FD found on our hexhead bikes over the last 6 years in addition to some changes in maintenance procedures. Does that mean the "problem" has been fixed?

Alas, anything made can break. Only BMW knows the actual failure rate. Every time someone has a failure everyone else who has ever had a failure tends to find the thread and chime in. I believe that makes the actual failure rate look larger than it is in actuality, but perhaps that is wishful thinking on my part.

Yeah, there are sometime failures. Your's came early which follows the typical bathtub curve of new part failure for just about anything manufactured.

Now let the flames begin!

kurt1305 25-Jan-2012 11:27 AM (727)

A poll on AdvRider puts the rate at 7%. Somewhere they came up with BMW's estimate of 3% and admit more people are likely to respond if they do have a problem and therefore do not discount BMW's numbers. I know a couple of people who have experienced a final drive failure, but know many more that have not.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Pastor Passum 25-Jan-2012 10:15 PM (177)

I've owned 4 BMW's, 3 K bikes and the present R1200GS, since 1987 accumulating something over 300,000 miles. The closest thing to a final drive problem was the big seal on the GS final drive went out but luckily I caught it soon. While some do have problems I think it's not as bad as it seems. I don't worry about it:)

Jim

jcesurrey 27-Jan-2012 11:32 AM (730)

Final Drive Issues

[QUOTE=holeshot;19653]After only 1600 miles on my new GS the final drive has to be replaced.

I is my understanding that BMW have had this problem for years primarily due to improper gear alignmen efforts during manufacturing. Any good millright can diagnose the problem but only BMW can provide the fix. One friend spent $4000 fixing the problem based on BMW methods only to have it fail again in less than 5000 km. My 05' GS 1200 has not had a problem yet ( after 12000 km)but I have a Goldwing as backup - saddly you must have a Honda to back-up your GS ( or a Ninja in your case) or risk being without a ride!

Be thankful that at least your GS does not have the massive problems that the BMW 700 series high end cars are having!!

Jack in Surrey

holeshot 30-Jan-2012 08:31 AM (605)

Hats off for BMW of NA!

Just wanted to give a shout out to BMW of North America for expediting my new final drive from Germany and to BMW of San Francisco for installing it last Friday. Also, BMW of NA is picking up my 6K service!

LDrider 12-Feb-2012 03:44 AM (405)

Quote:

Originally Posted by kurt1305 (Post 19669)
A poll on AdvRider puts the rate at 7%. Somewhere they came up with BMW's estimate of 3% and admit more people are likely to respond if they do have a problem and therefore do not discount BMW's numbers. I know a couple of people who have experienced a final drive failure, but know many more that have not.

A tech at a large metro dealership said he sees about 1 premature drive failure per year across the whole BMW line. He said a leaky seal is more common but that rarely results in failure unless ignored.

GrayGS 17-Feb-2012 04:46 PM (949)

Rear diff failure

My 2008 GS had a rear diff main bearing failure at 38,000km but I think it was on the way out much earlier than that. I always put the noise down to the Hidenau tyres.BMW Australia were very good though even though the bike was 18 months out of warranty they paid for all of the parts and half of the labour costs. A $1400 job cost me $200 so I was pretty happy with that!

5HourButt 03-Mar-2012 07:53 AM (579)

Final Drive - Preserve it

I have a 2005 R1200GS and my suggestion is be sure to have the final drive lubricant changed periodically. I have it done every other year with the tranny lube as well. They do not last a lifetime and truly breakdown and that is what helps the bearing failures.

I am a newbie in the forums but have been riding for over 50 years and was a cycle mechanic for 16 years. One other tip is engine oil. I always use Mobil 1 20W-50 V-Twin synthetic oil. It is really high quality and is good for reducing long term wear.

Just offering that as an additional suggestion.