Why did you choose the GS as your bike? - Page 3 - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 29-May-2018, 09:22 AM (598)

I bought the 2012 1200GS to make trip to Ak. coming up in 6 weeks. I didn't want to take the 07K1200GT and drop it on the haul road to the arctic which would cost me at least 1/2what the GS cost me just to replace the plastic.

Now I have two, one for the street, one for the street and some off roading [ which I plan to get more into here in Az. where there's as many miles of dirt/fire roads as tar. Never been an off road guy myself, but the GS will get me into some back country I'd never see with the GT.
chaostrophy likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-Aug-2018, 01:41 PM (779)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parmenion View Post
For me it was the all round character of a bike that can do everything from an off road adventure, to paved road touring, or B - road carving as well as city commuting alone or with a pillion. The benefits of the boxer engine safety in a fall, the ease of a shaft drive to forget chain maintenace, the comfort of a single sided rear suspension chain slack non-adjustment, the hydraulic clutch heaven, the electronic aids that really work, the massive torque of a big twin to ride at ease, the high resale value, and lastly the dependability of the bike, from a company that values it's customers. It is a premium bike at a premium price. Worth it?
Just came back from Pikes Peak and the Royal Gorge in Colorado. I had my k1600GTL. I couldn't trade it off fast enough after riding the GSA. The light weight handling and the off road capability that hindered me on my 1600. I could care less about losing the radio. I could never hear it well at speed anyways.

I as well like the fuel range the GSA offers. The boxer engine is very torquey from the get up and I like the rawness of it and sound. Another thing I like is the TFT display. There is so much information and it is easy to read. I like where the GPS is mounted high where you don't have to look down so much from the road to see it like on the 1600.

The 1600 is a great bike for touring! But this bike will do it all. My reverse went out on my 1600 in Colorado. I guess I wont need a reverse on the GSA lol
post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-Aug-2018, 11:58 AM (707)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parmenion View Post
For me it was the all round character of a bike that can do everything from an off road adventure, to paved road touring, or B - road carving as well as city commuting alone or with a pillion. The benefits of the boxer engine safety in a fall, the ease of a shaft drive to forget chain maintenace, the comfort of a single sided rear suspension chain slack non-adjustment, the hydraulic clutch heaven, the electronic aids that really work, the massive torque of a big twin to ride at ease, the high resale value, and lastly the dependability of the bike, from a company that values it's customers. It is a premium bike at a premium price. Worth it?
1. It does everything I need it to do
2. It is very good at all the things I need it to do
3. I like the more unique motors (BMW boxer, Triumph triple)
4. It is a blast to ride
5. Long distance comfort and long distance creature comforts
6. BMW Motorrad Canada's demo program

BMW Motorrad Canada does the travelling truck type demo program, and you typically get about 1.5hrs on each bike (you can usually demo two per event and there are 3-4 dealers hosting events within reasonable distance of me). At the time Triumph had no demo program at all for the (then) Explorer 1200, and I was never really seriously considering the Multistrada or Super T.

Had to be me. Someone else might have gotten it wrong.

post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-Aug-2018, 05:24 PM (933)

Have 2017 GSA for almost a year now. Love everything about the bike. Coming from sportbike, supermoto background I thought that the only time I would ever own a cruiser style bike is when I am old gray and no longer enjoy the corners. Yes I have seen the guys on BMW all geared up with their panniers, adventure style jacket/pant, fancy helmet with bluetooth connection, GPS and upright riding position. That was something I could see myself on but , not anytime soon cause I love my sportbikes so much more.

A fast guy I know who rides a GSA talked me into test driving one. That was the beginning of my love for the GSA and the end of my sportbike riding days, After buying one, I sold my beloved GSXR 750 to my nephew . I kept the 450 EXC Supermoto/Dirt (i'm not stupid) no regret not riding my sportbike anymore. The GSA can hold it's on in the twisties. I sat on my 450 EXC yesterday after months of not riding her and she felt so small, and agile. I do believe riding the GSA will make me an even better rider on the 450 SM.

Now I am that guy on the BMW all geared up, full paniers,GPS NAV VI, Sena communicator, Arai XD with tinted visor, looking like am riding off to South America for an adventure
chaostrophy likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode