GS or GSA ? - Page 3 - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-Jun-2018, 05:26 AM (434) Thread Starter
Maj

Honestly this thread has helped me... In my area the difference is 3K between the two.. And for me the main difference seems to be range and the added frontal area, wind protection, the GSA affords... The crash bars can be added to the GS and vario panniers and still stay below the cost of the GSA..
cesarb likes this.

Your actions speak so loud, I cannot hear what you say.
R.W.Emmerson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-Jun-2018, 10:11 AM (632)

I was in the same position couple of months back. After weighing in the capacity, since Australian outbacks don't have fuel stations so closeby, and the added wind protection + engine guards + racks, it would have cost me more to get the GS and then modify. The big tank doesn't have any inconvenience at all. The small storage compartment on top of the tank is my favourite. Now I have the perfect place to store my office car park pass!

I went for a 2018 GSA which I got last week, I was bit unsure spending $36k on a brand new motorbike..but after riding it for a week, have zero regrets
Maj and Happy Snapper like this.
post #23 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-Jun-2018, 08:14 AM (551)

Looks good. Great color choice too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #24 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-Jun-2018, 06:01 AM (459)

I have 2017gs..100% road user n not have any problem with petrol station so no need bigger tank. Gs already good enough for me but i still want to upgrade to GSA cause 1 thing. If compare side by side, GSA looking more handsome n absolutely tough.
post #25 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-Jun-2018, 07:31 AM (521)

Just thought I would mention you cant get the vario paniers on the GSA. I like the clean look without the luggage racks
Maj likes this.
post #26 of 41 (permalink) Old 07-Jun-2018, 10:11 PM (132)

Garage
I'm late to this thread but I guess you're still in the decision phase.
I went through this whole process and I finally opted for the GS. Like you, I was 60 when I purchased the bike and thought that it may give me service for the rest of my riding days.
The GSA was a little bulkier and at the time of purchase I was okay with that but I realised that as I get older, the bulk of the bike may have a tendency to defeat me.
Looking back, I made the right decision of a GS for me. My fuel stops are more dictated by my bladder than the fuel tank and a break is usually quite welcome. Moreover, when I travel with others, the distance between fuel stops is set by the riding group's bike with the smallest fuel range and not by the capacity of my tank.

Remember: A larger capacity tank allows you to run out of fuel further from home.
jaxon and Maj like this.

Past: 1955 Norton ES-2, 1972 Norton 750 Commando Long Range Fastback, 1977 Honda 350XLE, 2001 R1150RT (written off), 2005 R1150RT, 2004 R1150GS, 2001 F650GS.
Current: 2013 R1200GS LC
post #27 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-Jun-2018, 12:42 PM (737)

Large fuel tanks on motorcycles are like cars (US translation - automobiles) with long bonnets (hoods) ..................
post #28 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-Jun-2018, 07:57 PM (039)

I followed this thread for a while now and find the arguments Pro GSA interesting.
Yes, if one wants to conquer the world and rides in remote areas, just go for the GSA and don't look back.
No, if you only ride with mates closer to home.

I don't go off road (as many others on here) and couldn't be bothered sitting for 300+ km's in the saddle, just because my fuel tank allows me to.
My back side would be numb and most of my fellow riders don't have the same range anyway.

When the weather gets really bad that I nearly need a car for weather protection.... I just take the car
We did a trip around Tasmania earlier this year and had some really average weather and the GS was just fine.

This is an interesting thread and could help many to make a decision on what to buy. May make it "sticky"

R1200GS Rallye - All Options - Nav VI - MaMo Light bars with LED - MaMo X-Covers - HexezCan - Stebel Horn
post #29 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-Jun-2018, 10:01 PM (125)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerPaul View Post
This has been a great thread to read as I'm considering trading a Multistrada in on a GS/GSA. I noticed that my local dealer has a new 2017 GS Rallye and with the June offers at $2,500 off for a 2017 I could get that at a really great price. The whole reason I started looking though was my interest in a 2018 (with new TFT) GSA even though I think the GS Rallye looks better. I kinda feel like I'm choosing the GSA over the GS just like trucks in the South need to have 4 wheel drive for no real reason. I'm a pretty aggressive rider (hence my Ducati) but I want something that doesn't have chain maintenance.

FWIW, this thread hasn't done anything to convince me the GS would be a better fit than the GSA...
I Purchased a 2018 Rallye -Blue, with TFT Display ...in February. It is a GS with GSA height suspension, almost / every option. + Sat-Nav Unit. I went there with the intent to purchase the 17' Demo in grey ... with many incentives !!! My choice, was very expensive! But, this could be the best bike I've ever owned! I suppose between the two, The GS and GSA ... there are so many options available.
In my case, I wanted an agile bike that I could do some highway miles, and could haul gear. I do not plan to routinely, do multi day off road trips. So, I am fitting it with slim Cases. The TFT sold me! This bike has been the same for ..?.. Years. Do yourself a favor and ride one with TFT display ... if buying new. The used market is like Honda... Value -Held!
post #30 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-Jun-2018, 07:18 AM (513)
War is the answer!

Garage
What did you wind up going with? For me its a no brainer. I want to start doing some major long haul on/off road trips so the GSA is a better choice. Trying to convince the old lady to get the lowered GS though.

Semper Fidelis (Always Faithful) is the motto of the Corps. That Marines have lived up to this motto is proved by the fact that there has never been a mutiny, or even the thought of one, among U.S. Marines.

2018 R1200 GSA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode