Troublesome! - Page 2 - BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 17-Jun-2018, 08:23 PM (057)

So far so good..

I appreciate hearing the truth on what items are failing and the fix. I went into this purchase (2017 GS) tentatively knowing that the reliability was questionable. I had the Ducati experience (2011 Multistrada) and that was costly and time consuming so that went away. Then I went into FJR land for a few years and of course never had a problem. 1 year and 9k miles on this GS and so far so good. No issues. It is a great motorcycle when everything is working. Really hard to beat and while I know the Africa Twin is probably going to be trouble free it's just not the same bike. Tenere is too big and heavy and the KTM's are too tall and chain driven. If Honda had made that VFR 1200 a bit more compact that would have gotten a strong look. The GS ticks all the boxes for my current riding needs. I'll hope for the best.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 17-Jun-2018, 08:25 PM (059)

Actually if I had to choose another current large displacement ADV bike it would be the new VStrom 1000. Really nice bike for the money.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 17-Jun-2018, 08:28 PM (061)

I have owned two GS LCs and have ridden three others all over Europe and the UK.

No problems, whatsoever.

YMMV

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 18-Jun-2018, 05:37 AM (442)
Survivor

Garage
Iím on the 11th BMW since 1980 and have four in my shop now. The newest are a 2017 GSA with 15,000 miles and Spousal Unitís GS with 5,000 miles. We had our first failure ever that caused a disruption to our travel plans last week. While it was a PITA it took a tech less than an hour to fix with a software adjustment. Finding the correct tech was the painful part.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 18-Jun-2018, 07:02 AM (501)

So Far

A little over 60K miles. Starter motor started hanging and replaced under extended warranty along with LED headlight. Those two repairs didn't stop me from riding, but cost $2600 (warranty).
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 18-Jun-2018, 10:45 AM (656)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pterodactyl View Post
I’m on the 11th BMW since 1980 and have four in my shop now. The newest are a 2017 GSA with 15,000 miles and Spousal Unit’s GS with 5,000 miles. We had our first failure ever that caused a disruption to our travel plans last week. While it was a PITA it took a tech less than an hour to fix with a software adjustment. Finding the correct tech was the painful part.

4 bmw bikes over 24 years. Ill take my latest near round world. Ill offer my thoughts on BMW quality.

Between dropping it off a cliff and leaving it shiny garaged, is riding with the expectation it will fail as all vibrating machines do. Ride it more aggressively and it will fail more often.

It’s a BMW not a Lexus. So the brand isn’t known for ultimate reliability but I’ve had only a few issues in 23 years. Honda Yamaha less so but they’re not going off road.

I bought this and sold my 911 because I don’t mind rolling this and using the handle bars to spin it so I can lift it. Dirty and scuffed it looks fine, maybe better.

Most importantly though for this discussion is the realization that different mechanics make a huge difference to quality. Firstly, the RSD changes every year eery model and some mechanics earned their stripes on other machines other models or not at all. Initial set up can vary widely in terms of quality and those variances compound over the initial years. If never rectified then they contribute to perceived “lemons”. Routine matenance also varies. I’ve had lose bits and bits left off in routine maintenance. Also contributes to reliability.

So I’d choose very very carefully who manages your machine if not you.

Watch the professional and semi professional tourers. Even then there’s lots of maintenance. So if you’re expecting a few tips expect a few issues. But mostly have fun and roll w the punches.
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 18-Jun-2018, 04:44 PM (906)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boringoldfart View Post
This is not the type of thread you probably expect on a BMW forum but I feel honour bound to share my experience but I guess it will be removed fairly quickly.
Honour bound? I would rather say you are very frustrated and wanted to vent!
You purchased three of them, so the issues mustn't be so bad.

I understand that you had some negative experiences with your bikes and you have lost your patience. But to generalise? That's a bit rough.

Why don't you just sell the GS and purchase a light and reliable Japanese bike? I wouldn't touch a KTM, as you might get similar issues.
But you won't find all the electronic adjustments that you'll find on a BMW (or Aprillia and Ducati), as the Japanese don't make fancy. They make reliable and boring.
Of course that is not always true, as I had very many issues with Japanese cars and I have owned a few.

It very often comes down to the dealership and how well they work on your particular vehicle, as mentioned before.
Sometimes there are electronic gremlins, as it happened to somebody I ride with, but it seems fixed now.

BMW GS are the best selling Adventure bike worldwide and they have sold over 500,000 units in over 30 years. They have pushed all the others to come up to a very high standard.

I am not saying they are more reliable than any other brand, but it is unfortunately very true that more modern vehicles fail more often.
The simpler the tech the more reliable the vehicles are.

R1200GS Rallye - All Options - Nav VI - MaMo Light bars with LED - MaMo X-Covers - HexezCan - Stebel Horn
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 19-Jun-2018, 02:31 PM (813)

how did you get the tank opened. I has similar issue with my ducati and the bike could not be started with key,luckily for ducati you have a back up where you can start the bike with password and the tank opening is by key. so no worries there. i had asked the similar q with BMW and they showed me a plastic key which had to be moved above the rear tyre to start, will this help to open the tank

Last edited by siju; 19-Jun-2018 at 02:33 PM (814).
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 19-Jun-2018, 02:39 PM (818)

how did you get the tank opened. I has similar issue with my ducati and the bike could not be started with key,luckily for ducati you have a back up where you can start the bike with password and the tank opening is by key. so no worries there. i had asked the similar q with BMW and they showed me a plastic key which had to be moved above the rear tyre to start, will this help to open the tank
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 20-Jun-2018, 06:49 PM (992)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boringoldfart View Post
I have owned three BMW R1200GS'. They all have been troublesome. Just about tolerable when still covered by the warranty but totally unreasonable when not. A US survey of the 10 major manufacturers put BMW, unsurprisingly, at 9th.

It's important never to confuse a quality/prestigious product with reliability. After all it's generally accepted that Mercedes Benz cars are considerably more troublesome than Toyota!

Major things that have gone wrong -
Cruise control switch replaced (4 times on two bikes)
Rear shock failing on two bikes. The last one would have cost £2000 out of warranty.
Two new master cylinder.
Gearbox seal replacement, requiring the rear of the bike to be removed.

By comparison in the nineties and 0s I owned four Honda VFR750/800s. Did well over 100,000 miles on them and only two things went wrong. A loose bolt under the seat and a rear shock that had a oil leak. That's it!!!

There is a moral here, which sadly I have taken far too long to take on board.

This is not the type of thread you probably expect on a BMW forum but I feel honour bound to share my experience but I guess it will be removed fairly quickly.
Thanks. I had 2005, 2010, 2011 and 2015 GS and every one of them except the 2015 had rear end bearing failures at around 30 K miles; none covered under warranty. Otherwise minor issues, yet if you want reliability, Japanese made bike are much better in that area.Hugues
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW R1200GS Forum : R1200 GS Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode